Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

El Ponchomino (Update 10/4 - finished)

RancheroSteve

Time for a new one!

Here's what I'll be working with: http://jimmyflintstonestudios.com/?product=nb262-1962-el-ponchomino

Not exactly shake & bake, but a decent place to start. Those window openings were a bit vague, so I bent some brass strip to give the openings more crispness and also simulate a drip rail.

732Ponchomino-vi.jpg

733Ponchomino-vi.jpg

Stay tuned.

Edited by RancheroSteve
update

After cutting off the top of the rear inner fenders and shortening the rear a little, the chassis pan looks like it fits pretty well:

764Ponchominounder-vi.jpg

But it turns out the bed floor prevents the pan from sitting up high enough, especially at the rear. So that's part of the reason I skirted the lower edge of the body.

767Ponchominounder-vi.jpg

Better, but there's another issue at the rear: the rear frame cross member sticks out too far.

770Ponchominounderrear-vi.jpg

OK, I think I can deal with that without too much trouble. Onward . . .

The resin body - like the kit body - has molded in wipers, which I'm not a fan of.

762Ponchominowipers-vi.jpg

Since this is going to be a mild custom (somewhat inspired by the box art), I've removed the wipers, added more brass for the windshield trim and filled the cowl vents.

781Ponchominowipersgone-vi.jpg

782Ponchominowipersgone-vi.jpg

Edited by RancheroSteve

Love the brass work Steve! That's a terrific idea to use that instead of plastic since you're working with resin. Speaking of that, I thought at first this WAS a plastic kit that you converted. I've never seen this one before from Jimmy Flintstone------very nicely done!

To attach the brass, did you use standard epoxy or JB Weld? I've found that brass doesn't always like the quick set epoxies, but I've used JB Weld in the past to get it to stay put.

Thanks Bill! Like I implied earlier, the Flintstone bodies I've seen aren't anything like Modlehaus quality, but they're very affordable and there are some very cool subjects available. Lots of interesting conversions for current kits if you want to do something a bit different.

I've been using Zap a Gap (medium) to attach the brass - it seems to be doing the job. The great thing to me about brass is that it's hard enough to hold an edge, yet can be sanded when needed.

Hey Steve, nice to see someone building this thing. I'm the one that did the master for Jimmy, when I started out it had better definition to the moulding but when I was working on it some got sanded down a bit much.

When I built mine I cut down the wheel houses in the rear to get the rear to drop more...

Like what you're doing with yours, I have one that I'm building as a stock piece and one as a mild kustom as well.

Hey Steve, nice to see someone building this thing. I'm the one that did the master for Jimmy, when I started out it had better definition to the moulding but when I was working on it some got sanded down a bit much.

When I built mine I cut down the wheel houses in the rear to get the rear to drop more...

Like what you're doing with yours, I have one that I'm building as a stock piece and one as a mild kustom as well.

Hey - nice to know, Kerry! The Ponchomino is a cool idea, especially as I've never been that crazy about the roof on the Catalina - a bit too clunky in my opinion. And of course I dig Rancheros, El Caminos, and utes in general.

I had already cut down the wheel houses as you suggested. The bed floor is up against the top of the chassis pan - I don't think it can go any lower without some major surgery, so I'm going to work with it as is. Thanks.

I'll be using the custom front end treatment (grille and headlights) from the 2 in 1 kit. The resin body also uses the kit hood. After some some sanding/filling/sanding, things are starting to fit reasonably well.

806Ponchominofront-vi.jpg

The center nose piece is separate (just pushed into place here) and will be attached later.

807Ponchominofront-vi.jpg