Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trabant Universal Lieferwagen

GeeBee

Finally got the body in primer

Looks o.k after a light sanding, still haven't come up with a colour scheme for it 

Made up a template for the floor that needs to me made from plasticard

Inner wings and bulkhead fixed together, these are supposed to go in as separate parts after the front transverse leaf spring and engine block have been fitted, but holding them in place and fixing them together makes for a stronger joint and also gives a better finish when painting, 

Tamiya Candy lime green Geoff, and a V8, tubbed rear end, slicks and wheelie bars. :D

You been on the Guinness again ??

Made a tidier template, the other one was made out of quite a few piece of cardboard, this one will make it easier to trace round the shape onto plasticard, 

2015-08-02%2015.37.09_zpsdpsae6gr.jpg

I haven't seen a photo of the floor of a Trabant van, but if it's anything like most vans, it will have strengthening ribs along the floor, so I will try to add these to a sheet of plasticard after it's been cut out, using thin strips of plasticard 

Edited by GeeBee

• 2 months later...

Well a few weeks ago i popped into HobbyCraft, but they only sell styrene sheet these days, no strip or anything that would make the floor panel the easy way, so I bought some 40 thou' styrene sheet and ordered some 1.5mm strip on eBay, I spent this afternoon glueing and cutting strip to size, i will leave them to dry up before starting to sand their edges to take off the squareness of them, as I would imagine that being a pressed panel they wouldn't be square in profile, the centre rib has been already profiled

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got a little paint on the body, it's genuine Trabant glacier blue, once all the body parts have been painted, they'll be put away until there dry, which can take a millennium, this is the only automotive paint I've used that you can thin and clean up using only white spirit, no a bad shine straight from the airbrush, but it will be a while until it's ready to be wet sanded and polished

2016-01-30%2015.21.57_zpsb7pxmbgt.jpg

2016-01-30%2015.22.06_zpshfoj7kvt.jpg

2016-01-30%2015.22.15_zpscckjxcyu.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

I'm not sure if this paint, although made by the same people who originally made the paint for the real trabants, but this was airbrushed last night in body colour, and I managed to mask it up to paint the satin black floor, by this time, the blue had dried rock hard, and masking tape didn't peel any of the paint off, I had so much trouble early on with the Capri green Universal, I had to decant the paint into a glass bottle, as the valve had gone faulty, but the paint hasn't started to cure like the green and also the beige paint had started to do nearly straight after I had decanted it.

• 2 weeks later...