Model Cars Magazine Forum

Return of the Speedwagon

I'd own the Speedwagon 1:1. It's different, although I'd be tempted to do a mild makeover of the car.

I was at Goodguys in Des Moines last weekendm and I thought of the Speedwagon when I saw this car.... I believe it's a 30-31 Model A with a Chevy radiator shell.

IMG_2979rt-vi.jpg

IMG_2978rt-vi.jpg

I'll be buying some if htey followed in the steps of the other 32s. What I mean is that every reissue had something new/different in it. I would love to see a new valve covers/intake option or an I-beam axle. And dare we dream of a quick change rear…..

Since this is a reissue of an already existing kit I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing anything different in the box, but as they did with the three window and it's last release, it might have some big and little wide whites on steel wheels, but I doubt it since it is totally different from the style of the car itself.

I would go so far as to guarantee there won't be anything different about the Speedwagon from previous issues. Maybe we'll get lucky and they will include it in their "Basic Builder" series and will be under $20. If that happens it will at least be a reasonably priced parts donor for a street rod project.

I vaguely remember the car you are thinking of.  It wasn't the speedwagon, though.  There was a woody that was all steel and brilliantly painted to look like wood.  The speedwagon was wood.  I wish I could remember the name of the fake woody.  

I like the '32s, but the speedwagon is less useful than the highboy roadster would be.  I would buy a few of those if they were reissued.  I might pick up one of these to build an actual speedwagon, since the ones I had were used to build a phantom touring woody and to start a chopped up drag themed car.  Someday I have to  drag that one out of the pile and finish it.  

• 5 weeks later...