Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang-GT Funny Car Update 02/27/16 Livery Restored

Speedfreak

Hey Carl thanks, and, good question! I used Dupli-Color Hot Rod Gray ( I love that color!) primer, and , then Tamiya Light Gun Metal (TS-42) , then Testors Dull Coat clear. Three brands! It's fairly close to the color that some of these valve covers came in, should be a little darker for a closer match. 

The trailing links are in, I'll have pics shortly. 

Edited by Speedfreak

centering the motor.....well, the only thing I can come up with, without the car actually on my bench,,,,,the middle of the oil pan should sit center on the front axle/crossmember....making certain the trans is centered to mate with the drive shaft....but being this motor is kitbashed,,,,the headers , if they touch suspension, or something,,,,will throw all this out....5 minute epoxy is your friend here, as movement and shifting as ya go,,,may be the ticket. if you take some good pics of all mentioned, I will figure this out once seeing all the components in place....the Ace........B)

Thanks Kevin, hope this thread helps on your build, love your signature. 

Ace, the headers are from this kit, the engine lines up just like the kit engine, the oil plug, (that used to be there) , sits halfway across the cross-member, but that doesn't help line it up side to side, or , the angle. Looks like I'll have to get out my eyeball tool from Micro-Mark. :lol:  I hope I get it right, 'cause right now the stacks fit just fine through the cutout in the hood.

Edited by Speedfreak

yes, I know they are kit headers, but being the motor and such are different now, I was wondering if some parts now have problems with fit to other areas....usually when changes like this occur, it can be hard to find where that culprit may be hiding, that's throwing everything off just enough to cause fits....I've built enough in the last 46 or 47 years now,,,been there, dozens of times.......the Ace....:lol:

One other thing that is 'off' here is the front axle. The drivers side wheel/tire are off the ground slightly. I didn't catch this when I epoxied the piece on, so , that means the other side is further extended which could be why I had some difficulty attaching the trailing link to the chassis on that side, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't stay in place when I was attaching it. Here's a pic of how things lay underneath, there are still a couple of things to finish up: Like the brake disk that has slid out on the passenger side rear wheel. Man, taking photos sure does let you know where you're at.  

underneath1.jpg

bump.jpg

There is no adhesive on the rear shocks. The fit was 'just' tight enough that for me to place the shocks into the chassis then just 'slid' the tops along the axle housings(?) until the tabs slid into the holes. Tricky little buggers those shocks. 

Edited by Speedfreak

Centering the engine..... be sure not to attach til the body is mocked. Centering to chassis may not center with hole in hood. Should, but does not mean it will.

With a similar kit, I drilled a hole in the block about where a mount would be and ran a piece of styrene thru and glued it. Painted it the same as the chassis. It sat on top the frame and when the engine was where I wanted it, I cut the ends off the styrene shaft to fit between the frame. I cut it a tad long and then sanded each side with a slight bevel. 

Andy, I certainly believe that about your cat. Cat's love playing with things that are 'not' cat toys. My black cat is quite the pistol. 

Ace, I think I might hang on to this when I get it done! Thanks for the positive words my friend. 

Kevin, I think it's a classic too, how can you 'not' like a AWB '65 Mustang funny car?

Here's what I've got so far: 

One of the rear tires looks kind of crooked in the pic but it's the camera, bends it weird somehow. And I've still got a couple of places to touch up as you can see. 

IMG_1144.JPG

enginein.jpg

IMG_1143.JPG

Edited by Speedfreak

Gene,,,,may I make just one suggestion.....the spot to touch up on the rear floor area could easily be masked off, then dusted with a bit of white primer, then sprayed gently with your silver to blend it in....I have done fixes similar countless times over the years, and I think that little bit of extra time and effort may pay off in the end result...just a thought,,,,everything is looking BOSS.....the Ace....:P

Ace, that sounds ace, I'll try the mask thing, thanks.

Thanks Ray, can't wait to see the big Ford. 

Carl! I can't believe I've inspired you to want to build a kit, yes! Have you built one of these before?

Andy, they are the kit stacks, I de-chromed them and did a lot of sanding/prepping and then shot them with Alclad chrome, out of the spray can.  

The engine has been uninstalled due to forces beyond my control, stay tuned! 

Thanks Kevin, those stacks are such a central part of this kit, I had to do something with them. I have some nice spun aluminum stacks from 'Speed City Resin, but , the kit stacks where just easier for me to get in place. The Alclad adds a lot of realism to them. 

Okay, here's where I'm at now; everything is attached and touched up, ready for the final push,........putting that body on, and , seeing how things line up. Should have pics of the results some time today. 

finalpush.jpg

downunder.jpg