Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang-GT Funny Car Update 02/27/16 Livery Restored

Speedfreak

Thanks for the positive words gentlemen. Here's what I've got with the initial fit. 

As you can see the stacks don't line up perfectly square within the hood cutout, but , it's not crooked, or tilted, side to side,  I can live with that. 

Ace, you can see in the rear shot those tabs for the rear panel fit perfectly around the frame, I didn't even think about that! (thickness of tabs) , the frame just slid right in place, wow , I lucked out. 

Let me know what you think. 

front.jpg

profile1.jpg

slope1.jpg

IMG_1163.JPG

front3.jpg

Edited by Speedfreak

• 4 months later...

I'm working on this again, wow , this kit is fighting me all the way, but , I'm making progress, ( I think). Got most of everything done, foil and decals are really all that remain (?)  I've got a couple of ideas that I've worked out for livery, (photos below) , as the decals for this kit leave a lot to be desired. One, I chopped up the decals and added the helmeted horse from the Double Dragster kit. It's either that, or , the yellow MUSTANG 427 that is in the kit, and using that as a basis for making the livery like the box art, minus the black side coves. Opinions?

Note: (I actually knocked this thing (the body) off my work table (about three feet)) last night, the front end landed right on the linoleum floor.  The grill was knocked out, and , the rear bumper came off, but , the front bumper which had been glued on with Microscale Krystal Klear did not even come loose!).

Pony Express: ponyexpress.JPG

Mustang 427:goodside.JPG

3 Qrt: goodthreeqtr.jpg

Front:goodfront.JPG

Edited by Speedfreak

Hi Gene.....glad your back on the scene, nice to see for sure... well, my 2 cents on the decal choice would be this....as much as I like the horseshoe setup, it seems to overpower the door with its height....and to center everything out, as you nicely have done, the PONY EXPRESS  lettering extends into the door lines and will on both sides, and that never ends up looking as good as when all can be centered in between. I guess I'm too 60s minded here, I like the yellow lettering, as its bright and fits nicely...and is typical of that era....... have you considered the PREP BY MUSTANG ENGINEERING decal on that sheet....I ask because a combo with it , the GT narrow stripe on the lower that's on this sheet....mixed with your red car and tinted glass almost matching those decals may be a winner....just my 2 cents, my friend....best,....the Ace...:rolleyes:

Thanks Ace, I had decided on the yellow Mustang 427, but I came across the mock-up photo with the horse thing, and , thought it didn't look too bad, I can just move it back some to get everything in there. At this point this kit is just me having some fun. I think maybe I need to do some more trimming on the 427 decal to get a better idea of what it will look like, but , to me right now the Pony Express is winning out. I don't think the GT-350 stripes would be on what is (allegedly) suppossed to represent an early funny car? Anyway, I'll look again at the 'Prep' decal. 

Here's something i actually got completed since my last post for this Mustang:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/109017-revell-29-model-a-roadster-electric-currant-red-metallic/ 

actually, its surprising the way some of the cars from then were trimmed out, using some stock looking stuff like the GT striping and such,,,,,its just that most of us are usually  looking at pics of some of the more famous racers of the day , and sometimes overlook the little guy racers....I have a pic around somewhere with red line wide ovals on the front of an A/FX mustang.....go with what YOU like the best...car looks great regardless........the Ace......:D

Ok Ace, Thanks. At some point very soon I'll just put some of those baby's on there, I have to foil this thing first, yikes! . I mean regardless of it's short comings (and mine) I just love this kit. I can't get enough of this body design. 

Your car is looking very good.

Thanks Ray, I I know how you love them Cobra's, so , this little '65 ( I think it's a '65 ?) Mustang can't be too far from your heart either! 

Edited by Speedfreak

Ok Ace, Thanks. At some point very soon I'll just put some of those baby's on there, I have to foil this thing first, yikes! . I mean regardless of it's short comings (and mine) I just love this kit. I can't get enough of this body design. 

Thanks Ray, I I know how you love them Cobra's, so , this little '65 ( I think it's a '65 ?) Mustang can't be too far from your heart either! 

just a suggestion, Gene......thought the color combo may just look neat with the blue glass....but the decals to use here, are THE ONES YOU  want to use.........the Ace.......;)

LOLOLOL, I don't really like ANY of them, but , that's what I've got to use, so,...................... It's the 'best of' scenario! I'll give the 'Prepped By' decals a close look Ace. 

And yes, it's up to me, yippeee! :D

Edited by Speedfreak

....I like them all, and think they all have potential. now, to further confuse and make this as difficult as humanly possible..:lol:...LOL,,,,LOL,,,tape and spray the coved area  in white where  the name goes,,,,and use the red TRUDELL FORD  ones on that are on the sheet....they would look great, but, now its getting a bit more of a pain...if ya' know what I mean....the Ace........:P

There will be no painting on this body at this time. At this point it's just something to do during winter, since I can't paint outside now, and , this car was already painted, and , mostly finished. A lot of time has passed since I started this, and , at that time I knew nothing of this kits problems, (like the wheel base) , since it's my first time building it. I would do many things differently, but alas it's too late for that now and I will do my best to finish this 'unique' Mustang kit! :D Priase the lord! 

I'm actually looking at vintage photographs of A/FX cars from '65-'66, what a treat. I've done 'very little' , (almost none) research for this build, as it started out as just a paint experiment to see if I could get a decent paint job, at the time I was having mucho problems achieving that. This turned out to be the best paint job i had ever done in my life up to that point, so that's how it started.  

Well, it's been 16yrs since i 'really' worked with BMF and boy it's showing up now. I praticed on a '65 Nova body and things went pretty well, the rear posts on those side window vents go straight up and down, not the case with this Mustang, they are slanted towards and the whole window is somewhat smaller and this is a challange. I've made several attempts with no keeper so far. Just wanted to show where I'm at with this car, thanks. :)

Side vent:

bmf1.jpg

bmffront.jpg

bmfrear.jpg

Looking good. I always thought they should have molded the body without the wipers.

Thanks Ray, I agree, but, check this photo out:

wipersafx.jpg

I have another question: Did these cars have chrome trim on the upper door next to the window? 

Edited by Speedfreak

Thanks Ray, I agree, but, check this photo out:

wipersafx.jpg

I have another question: Did these cars have chrome trim on the upper door next to the window? 

Yes, the H&M built 1965 AFX Mustangs used the factory door glass with chrome frame. Most of the H&M cars were converted to the Shelby R-Model lightweight door windows with aluminum frames during the '65 season.

01gas.jpg

Yes, the H&M built 1965 AFX Mustangs used the factory door glass with chrome frame. Most of the H&M cars were converted to the Shelby R-Model lightweight door windows with aluminum frames during the '65 season.

01gas.jpg

Thanks Ron that's good to know. What I was actually pointing out in the photo I posted was the presence of a wiper with blade, at least on the passenger side, which is visible in the photo.