Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang-GT Funny Car Update 02/27/16 Livery Restored

Speedfreak

Wow, thanks Ace, I think what may have saved the horse livery, (lol) , is the fact that it had 'white' accents that I couldn't see with the backing paper, so , once applied you have red/white/and black as the main colors on the body, that's a strong color combo.  

As far as you building one half as good,...I thought of your red Falcon many times on this build. I don't think you need to worry about that. ;) Thanks for all the input, I'm not sure I would have this car without it.  

I've almost got the 'chute ready to mount, I will post a few pics soon. 

...well, its nice of you to regard that ol' Falcon of mine as some inspiration, but you carried the ball all the way down on this build of yours, and all the frustrations and mishaps became what they do for all of us hopefully.....just forgotten later, once enjoying and sharing your build with all on the forum.  I've got a few ideas for one of these 'stang awb kits when the time comes,,,,,,but until I awaken from my building slumber...i'll just dig looking at yours...lol...lol....best,  the Ace....:D

...well, its nice of you to regard that ol' Falcon of mine as some inspiration, but you carried the ball all the way down on this build of yours, and all the frustrations and mishaps became what they do for all of us hopefully.....just forgotten later, once enjoying and sharing your build with all on the forum.  I've got a few ideas for one of these 'stang awb kits when the time comes,,,,,,but until I awaken from my building slumber...i'll just dig looking at yours...lol...lol....best,  the Ace....:D

It's been a journey, but , that's what it's all about right? I've learned some things on this build which will carry over into other builds I guess. The payoff is that these cars can look so darn cool when finished. (I never say 'darn' 1:1). Maybe when the weather turns warmer you'll get inspired. 

Here's a couple of shots of the parachute, I'm just waiting for the paint to get good and dry before I mount it. You can see the little stripped plug wire I've got coming out of the chute to make a horseshoe clip with that I'll run the cable into, and , you can also see, (maybe) , the brackets coming off the back of the plate for mounting it. Cheers! 

Edited by Speedfreak

Ok, new frontiers are here again. Being still unsatisfied with how this car sits I had to venture further down that road, so , I removed a styrene tab I had attached early on in this build to the outside of the tub, on the top/front/right, for what I thought was better fitment. The result was better fitment of the tub and the body, the downside is that the hood opening no longer fit with the velocity stacks, because the body had been moved rearward. So, I took 2/32" from the front of the hood opening (yes the Mustang has a new hood! Still needs painting) and everything fits, the stacks are no longer off center! Yeah! The problem now is that the body does not want to stay in that position, 'because' the body slides off the front edge of the dash, where the bottom/front of the windshield meets it, so , I'll just have to glue it in place, and , it will be fine. wow. As you can see in the photos the wheelbase lines up much better with the wheel wells, front and rear, also, the dash lines up much better with the cowl, there is no space between the two. The new 'chute is here as well! Hope some of this is helpful to future builders of this kit, which is kind of like trying to repair years of someones really bad plastic surgery.  Cheers! 

rearchute.jpg

newside1.jpg

newfront.jpg

newfront2.jpg

rearchute.jpg

Edited by Speedfreak

I kinda like the hood a different color Gene.

Hey Jc, I do too! I actually have a color picked out that I've thought about using in the last photo, it's Tamiya Light Gunmetal, (what do you think?) I even thought about light primer gray, or , flat white. It will be a tough call. The thing that has swayed me is how it looks with the red hood compared to the white, the red wins out big time, we'll see. The off color does give the car a little more sinister look though, like " we came to rumble, not dance. 

I like how your car is coming along. I really do like these kits. I built 2 last year and because of your build here I got the itch to do another. Bought the kit Saturday and started it yesterday. I blame you !!! : )

:lol: Thanks Ray, At least you know what you're in for! Since you know where and how to address the problem areas of this kit yours should turn out great. I'm expecting big things from you Ray! Are you doing a build thread?

I can't believe I'm about to leave one side of this car with no livery. 

Edited by Speedfreak

Hey Jc, I do too! I actually have a color picked out that I've thought about using in the last photo, it's Tamiya Light Gunmetal, (what do you think?) I even thought about light primer gray, or , flat white. It will be a tough call. The thing that has swayed me is how it looks with the red hood compared to the white, the red wins out big time, we'll see. The off color does give the car a little more sinister look though, like " we came to rumble, not dance. 

:lol: Thanks Ray, At least you know what you're in for! Since you know where and how to address the problem areas of this kit yours should turn out great. I'm expecting big things from you Ray! Are you doing a build thread?

I can't believe I'm about to leave one side of this car with no livery. 

Try the primer Gene and if you don't like it paint over it with the Gunmetal.

I just realised something about this kit! I stated it above but not that succinctly. A major problem with the way this kits body fits onto the interior tub is because the bottom of the front windshield does not mate up with the back of the dash/front tub/cowl area, there is 'nothing' similar about the way these two surfaces are formed. The result is that the body (specifically the bottom of the windshield) slides down off the back dash/front tub area, which is where it needs to be. If you can address/fix this issue you are a long way to getting the fitment problems solved. 

Gene, man I am just like you if it does not look right i am going to start working to fix it. I do love the color and decals. Keep up the good work brother. Now you and Ray are giving me Mustang Fever...

LOL Carl! Eveyone's got it! cool. Are you saying you think the hood should stay red? 

I have to agree with Kevin about the hood. I think the hood would look better in the red or maybe a satin black .

Thanks Ray, I've got the first coat of primer on the hood now, (I stole the hood from another one of these kits I have) there are still a few minor clean up issues, but , the plan at this point is to paint it red. With the color scheme I have a satin/matt black hood would look cool though. There's so many ways these cars can look cool.

Edited by Speedfreak

Whenever I get the time to finish mine, it'll be completely green, hood and all. Black or charcoal gray primer is not a bad idea though, not at all.

Sounds good Kevin, It's AWB Mustang Madness! I missed my opportunity to see what the gray would look like 'cause I used white primer, which is what I used on the body. Maybe Ray will put a black hood on the yellow one he's doing?   

Sounds good Kevin, It's AWB Mustang Madness! I missed my opportunity to see what the gray would look like 'cause I used white primer, which is what I used on the body. Maybe Ray will put a black hood on the yellow one he's doing?   

Yep, built one as a kid, which is long gone now, and when I realized the kit was available again, I snatched another one, as a tribute to the first one.

I have a dilemma, the livery on the passenger side looks fine, but , the drivers side (which was first) was a disaster, and , resulted in minor 'finish' damage (some of the decal sticky would 'not' come off) which got worse when I tried to repair it, by using 'polish'  (not wax) to remove it, (cove lines on door showing a little primer). Then I started thinking " I'll just leave one side with no livery " with this in mind I then proceeded to 'wax' the drivers side to clean up finger prints etc,.

There's no way at this point in the build that I'm going to try and fix the problem with the cove lines showing some white from the polish, too many things could go wrong and I ruin the whole body, not going there. So I either find something to effectively clean off the wax and apply the livery, or , I leave it plain.