Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Mustang-GT Funny Car Update 02/27/16 Livery Restored

Speedfreak

:lol: Thanks Ace! The only trouble I'm having now is with the side vents, they are recessed way back under the drip molding that is over them, and , they are slanted backwards, so I'm having a hard time getting the BMF cut right. I guess i'll have to do each side of the vents with separate strips, ouch! Once I get them though all that's left is the drip molding itself, yeah! And then it's on to the decals, which after BMF will be a joy, I hope! I've also bungled up the paint in a couple of small places but I think I can fix those. Hint: Be careful wiith BMF if you've used white primer under red paint! Rock on! 

Edited by Speedfreak

Got one side done! Trimming out the curve on the inside of the drip molding is perhaps the hardest thing I've ever done with modeling, very hard to get to with the blade. I used a red Sharpie to touch up some spots where the blade went through the paint, worked amazingly well. I used three pieces of foil, one for the drip molding curve, one for the roof line, and, one for the back post. There is some glare on the front windshield pillar that I couldn't get out of the photo. 

34side1.jpg

side2.jpg

Edited by Speedfreak

The BMF is finished, I'll post pics after I get the main decals on, which should be today I hope! . Man, that stuff (BMF) is a killer, but , it sure looks good. Hint: where some kind of rubber gloves when you do this, or , your paint job will suffer.  

Edited by Speedfreak

Total meltdown, I put one of the Mustang 427 decals on the drivers side and didn't let it get loose enough from the backing, as a result it set up in about 3 seconds and was slightly croaked. Me and my infinte wisdom then started some micro set to loosen it and it would not budge. Then came the real drama, I decided to remove it, and in that process really screwed things up, lol. Then came 3M Scratch Remover, then came the thin white lines from the white primer under the red on the bottom and top edge of the cove. I hated the yellow 427 Mustang decal once it was on the car anyway. I'll put the Pony Express decals on later today and show it for what it is. I'm actually going to try and somehow cover the white lines with Sharpie, wish me luck! :( 

Here's a photo:

badside2.JPG

Edited by Speedfreak

That's a bummer Gene.  I hope you are successful in toughing up the paint.

:) Thanks JC, wow, wow. I first have to clean off the polish, before I can apply the Sharpie I would think, I've never been in this place before so this is new territory for me, got any great ways to do that?  Since i can't really wash it. A soft cloth with mild soap?

Edited by Speedfreak

.....this is a difficult fix,,,,,but the best, but most pain in the...., is to tape the high edges of the car, mask everything off, and after removing all the polish with some soapy water, spray the side again completely. its a tough go, but Tamiya spray is very forgiving, and if done with skill it will get you out of this jam and with a nice result....probably not what you want to hear, but maybe worth the aggravation...the Ace...:o

Ace, So mask off 'before' cleaning? You mean after right? Because if I'm going to fix this thing I might as well try to do it right. Weather permitting I'll go for this method, I'm not afraid of painting. Believe it or not there are still a couple of very small bumps of decal adhesive that I could not get off, they aren't even visible in the photo, maybe some more polish? I have some milder model car polish I can use. 

the only down side I see to this is if I don't get the polish off good enough then it messes up the paint fix, then the whole things a wash.

Edited by Speedfreak

do all your cleaning up totally before re spraying.....after that, tape the side up on the high edge if the body side, masking and blocking out the front and rear of the body. I would dust a light coat of your Tamiya white primer on the side first...very light haze coat. let that sit 2-3 hours, then dust a coat of the red over, slow and steady is the way for this fix. light coats until you see the result you like....leave that about 2-3 hours, and slowly lift your tape in a slow, upward pull, away from the body. once removed, now let it sit another 2 hours or so, and very gently work the edges to remove any tape line that may occur . a little wax or polish thinned out with water, and applied by your finger working the edge a bit, should eliminate an edge, but take it slow, and easy. this works, I have had to do this back in the day...a pain, yes...worth it ...ALWAYS....best, the Ace....;)

Ok man, I think I'm gonna try this. No paint weather until next week so I have plenty of time to work out all this. The styrene body shop.  In the mean time I can try the other livery on the other side, that should be fun :D

Funny thing, most of the old photos of A/FX cars, (which this car is really not) , were rather rough looking as far as the bodies went, working cars , not show pieces. 

Edited by Speedfreak

Nothing seems to be working for the livery on this car, at least nothing I have. I put the Pony Express stuff on the passenger side and it looks ok, but just ok. The problem is the snorting/helmeted horse in the center, only way out I see is to replace that with a five pointed star, I'll see what I can do.

Maybe you can make up your own name and make your own decal ?????

That's what I've done Ray, I've got one side complete. It's just that I haven't worked with decals for 16-17yrs , and , it's been a struggle, but , it's very slowly improving. T

I've been polishing through edge paint since I resumed this crazy hobby. I figure to just gently re-spray those areas, then polish again.

Kevin thanks for checking in man. I actually taped off those lines and used a red Sharpie! :o We'll see how visible they are in photos, it doesn't really show 1:1. 

I'll post a photo with a full mock-up showing the one side I've got done some time today. 

Great foil work Gene, i would tape very close to the body line and spray it. I have had good luck touching up paint...

Thanks Carl for the compliment! If the weather was paint weather I would have tried re-painting (I've never done that before) those lines, but , the weather here right now won't permit that. Thanks for stopping by man!  

Edited by Speedfreak

You know what Ray, I was just now looking at the photos, after being out for a while, and , the first thing I thought when I saw the car was that it looked ok except for the 'big' 4, I agree. I should be able to get that off with shipping tape, and , I have some smaller numbers that look more like many of the old photos of A/FX (I know it's not) cars I've seen that I can arrange. Thanks for the input! 

Does anyone know what the proper class designation for a car such as this would have been? A/FX, AA/FX, S/FX? 

Edited by Speedfreak