Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ognibs other deuce

Ognib

Word play is one of my favorite things.  :)

Top plates in place for the carburetors.

Still needs float bowls & throttle shafts.

Scale seems ok relative to the manifold plenum.

Still need to final shape the base plates.

autocrosscoupe286.thumb.JPG.d826ebd3d60c

autocrosscoupe287.thumb.JPG.976620068ce1

autocrosscoupe288.thumb.JPG.6a3ca7d499cd

autocrosscoupe289.thumb.JPG.3844e7d68249

Edited by Ognib

Thanks for the comments guys & thanks for taking a look.

Yes...strictly business...form follows function...pretty is over rated!

Bob, happy to share the procedure.  I enjoy the writing & photography.

Eyeball engineering in motion.
I've done some reading on the engineering theory of tube frames/cages in preparation for this.
Straight lines are the strongest...curved tubing compromises structural integrity.
Inner rails, being laid out now, will actually be the main frame of the car...tying the control arm mounts solidly into the structure.
The stiffer the frame, the more tuneable the suspension...think autocross corners...or nascar road racing...hard turns in BOTH directions.
The curved outer rails are homage to the beautifully classic design of the 32 frame.

Included in the design & construction of the front end, along with the control arm mounts, will be placement & mounting points for a steering rack which will need to be built & fitted at that time.

The car has IRS as well...thus, the center section does not move...so, the rear cage area needs to incorporate adequate mounting points for this as well as caliper mounts for inboard brakes, a LARGE fuel cell,..it is, after all, a street driver with a big thirsty motor... battery & oil tank for the engine dry sump system.
Let's see, am I thinking of everything here??

Ah, yes, I didn't remember to mention mounting points for rear control arms.

I really enjoy the design & engineering part of building.
I can loose a half a day sometimes just...thinking it through & visualizing the construction.
It's like auto cad in my brain!   I can see the pictures & video.

autocrosscoupe304.thumb.JPG.015980998818

autocrosscoupe305.thumb.JPG.a4b59c5ce4ee

autocrosscoupe306.thumb.JPG.052a26384b64

autocrosscoupe307.thumb.JPG.549525f276c0

autocrosscoupe308.thumb.JPG.27b684d4a18f

autocrosscoupe309.thumb.JPG.628a3baf01ab

Edited by Ognib

Butane fueled pencil torch & silver solder here.

The silver melts at a considerablly higher temp than lead/tin solders...thus I can add things later with the lead without undoing previous work.

Temp crossmember holds everything at the proper height.
Inner rails run completely parallel to the centerline all the way back.

Uprights that hold the center section have been relocated slightly & now also act as side to side locator devices for the tubes.

By doing the inner rails this way, there is some visual interruption of the flow of the shaped rails, but form follows function & this is the structurally correct way to do it.

Ray, thanks for the pics.  Every scratch-builder ( and even those that don't scratch)  have to be interested in the "how'd he do that" aspect of a build.  I always learn something and like to try others techniques and methods on my own build(s).  Appreciate ALL the time you're taking to take the pics and offer detailed descriptions as you go.  btw, I'm using & learning how to use butane torch ( I think I have the same one you do)  more and more on certain parts too and like what it can do when fabbing a particular part. Best to you,  Cheers, Tim

My pleasure, Tim.  Thanks for stopping in...always look forward to your comments & insights.

The little torch is the cats meow...even with the silver solder & the higher melting temps...it activates the flux & brings temp up to where the solder just flows into the seam...almost instantly...on & off, just that quick.

The lead/tin solder is even quicker...used both on building the carburetors.

Edited by Ognib

Upper inner rail being fitted.

autocrosscoupe321.thumb.JPG.c6e7de6cf1b6

Lower rail will pass under the rear axle shaft & provide mounting points for lower lower control arm as well as the foundation for the center section cradle.

autocrosscoupe322.thumb.JPG.17b4f9cbaf9e

Upper rail for upper control arm, looping over the axle shaft in the process.

autocrosscoupe323.thumb.JPG.ad958f4b7b7b

Nice graceful flow of lines where it all comes together in the front.

autocrosscoupe324.thumb.JPG.26215122e739

On going mock ups allow me to constantly visually enjoy the progress of the build as a whole & thus shows me what to do next.

The beauty of working in a jig. Everything's locked in position & ya just gotta figure out how link it all together in a clean, logical, straight forward manner.
Form follows function. "Pretty" is over rated!

Something the wife picked up for me at a flea mkt...don't hold back dear, tell me how you really feel.  :)

Header primary tubes will be .250", 2" @ 1:1...necking down into a .500" dump tube with turn down, 4" @ 1:1.
I'm going to set the door hinges before removing the doors to aid in getting a good fit on re-installation.
Doors must come out now to give tweezer access to cabin for fitting main hoop & cowl hoop for the cage.
I want these in place for fitting struts forward from the center section cradle as I build it.
Glad I mocked the dump tube...I'm going to need to raise the lower door line just a bit to open above it.

Thanks Scott...ya it's progressing pretty well at this point.

Thanks for stopping in Stephen...appreciate the comments...the jig is worth the initial effort to set it up & it's simple, easy & cheap to build.

Takes a bit of time to do the layout etc...gotta double/triple check all your measurements otherwise something won't fit later on.