Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ognibs other deuce

Ognib

Tubes are looking good!!!

I like what you did with the bottom, now......

Question: how about a roof chop now...might balance door-roof ratio??

Just a suggestion, don't take it the wrong way :)

Thanks, Scott.

I already cut the top 4" @ 1:1 back when I converter it from 5 to 3 window config.

Just have to use the header system to fill the space & keep visual balance.

Nice update Ray, those flow so well together.  One quick question, in your pics from the side, the front wheel looks to be moved forward away from the center-line marked on your base.  Will the wheel/tire be located as seen in the pics or did you move it for the sake of taking this set of pics?   Cheers, Tim

Thanks, Tim.

The line you're seeing is the axle centerline for a stock 109" 32 wheelbase, laid down when I first set up the jig.

After I decided to rake the grill shell, I also wanted the front tires out slightly in front of the grill...In order to accomplish that & keep the visual balance wanted...wheelbase has been extended 8" over stock @ 1:1

Learned some stuff on the first set yesterday.
One thing is the short bending post that clamps to the jig vs freehand bending off jig.
Really shortened the time & frustration factors on this second bundle.

Will definitely be re-bending the first set...this attempt is so far superior as far as continuity & flow & fit from one tube to the next.

Ray, you are a true craftsman! Amazing work, I'll be watching in anticipation of its completion. I see how you made your own jig for bending your exhaust tubing, but I see solid tubing, not hollow tubing. The project I'm working on now, requires the 90 degree bend of 1/4" aluminum hollow tubing, and despite numerous attempts, even with the help and suggestions from others, the tubing will not stretch to allow the bend. I'm using a hand held bender. The frustration has stopped any further building. Can you possibly help? Thanks for any input. Once again, quite the amazing build:D

Cheers,

Lance

Hey Lance, are you experiencing fracturing & breakage of the metal or just collapsing of the tube walls?

If it's breaking my guess that your material is too hard an alloy...similar to the breakage problem I had earlier when trying to bend for the headers.

My problem was solved by sourcing a softer material.

I'm using rod because the radius I need for the headers is not the same as the radius on the benders I have.

So to be able to bend around dowels & retain the shape, I just work with solid rod.

Getting there.

Headers, take three.

#1, upper left, not bad on execution but like a basket of snakes...no continuity or flow of the design at all.

#2, upper right, better on both execution & flow, but still not right...too much gap between first & second tube & no space between #3 & 4.
That's prototyping for you. refining the design & layout & execution until it works.

#3, on the jig...my only guarantee of success is my refusal to quit!

It's easy to see that you fall into the "own worst critic" camp Ray.   The set of headers you just completed ARE better, but no one would have faulted you for the last pair.  Glad to see you didn't "settle" though......and I'm sure you enjoyed that cocktail all the more today.    :)    Cheers, Tim

Still in the mood to mess with the engine so think I'll do the front cover & water pump.
Want to get the engine set as far back as possible for front to rear weight bias.
Going to move dist to the front with a Summers Bros style distributor mount but featuring more the style & design of the Comp Cam's item.

Using a couple of washers to do a quick prototype for size considerations.
These two look about right & gives good room for the water pump ports out of the block.

Everything's still fitted kinda loose...some burrs from the drilling to clean up...few more holes to drill...
Had to see what it looks line in place though.
Gotta get some more armature wire in couple different sizes to finish the water pump.

Distributor can & will be moved a bit closer to the engine.

Thanks, guys.

David, pleased to meet you, thanks for looking.

Scott, wondered if anyone would pick up on that...very astute of you.

Actually, they were hot enough after sawing that probably would have blistered my fingers if I'd picked them up bare handed.

Edited by Ognib