Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ognibs other deuce

Ognib

I only had a short piece of tube to experiment with after trimming off the 2" tail so the bender could grab it.

But something kinda like this only longer with the exit back of the rear door line & the primaries feeding in about mid cowl.

I've got an itch to build a set of headers right now so guess I'll take a break from the frame for a few days.

I like the flow of these sprint car headers by husler...will continue the angles established by the laid back grill, cowl side & door line

Went & got some more tubing to work with.

Edited by Ognib

Talk about picking points in space...
The blocks that I had the big tube on are ground clearance templates for the header build.
They gotta "fit"...fill the space just right!!

Square shows me where the front port relates to the platform.
Depth gauge for establishing the height of the port relative to.....everything.

Build jig with the complete port layout & the angle of the dangle drawn in.
See how this goes...

I have a good tight layout on the header jig & accurately executed.
Tubing is 9/32...1/4" header pieces slip perfectly into...these tubes will be inserted into the heads & will be mounting points for the headers...slip em on...slip em off.
By building the exhaust ports for the heads on the header jig, the layouts should be identical...build headers on jig...remove from jig...should slip right into place on side of engine.

Drilled the heads oversized for wiggle room when aligning...packed them with epoxy & joined together.

Nice & straight & solid. :)

More epoxy on the front side...need to have material for bosses for header flanges & still provide pads for head bolts.

Got one tube bent & in place...subsequent 5 attempts have broke on the tight bend at the top.
Need to find a softer, more suitable alloy than the extruded rod.

I have a good tight layout on the header jig & accurately executed.
Tubing is 9/32...1/4" header pieces slip perfectly into...these tubes will be inserted into the heads & will be mounting points for the headers...slip em on...slip em off.
By building the exhaust ports for the heads on the header jig, the layouts should be identical...build headers on jig...remove from jig...should slip right into place on side of engine.

Drilled the heads oversized for wiggle room when aligning...packed them with epoxy & joined together.

Nice & straight & solid. :)

More epoxy on the front side...need to have material for bosses for header flanges & still provide pads for head bolts.

Got one tube bent & in place...subsequent 5 attempts have broke on the tight bend at the top.
Need to find a softer, more suitable alloy than the extruded rod.

Try nickel:copper alloy. It's sold at auto parts stores. They call it easy-bend. It's for brake and fuel line. I can wind the 3/16 and 1/4 around my index finger with no kinking. It solders easily also. Hope this helps, Mike.

I'll check that out, Michael, thanks.

Scott, that's what I'm reading now.

I know when I annealed the material when making the aluminum grill shell for the roadster, about half way through, it softened it considerably.

Alloy has something to do with it as well, I think & the rod is pretty stiff & hard.

Interesting...

This is the RO7 nascar head.
Very business like in it's look.
Not trying to do a reproduction here, just grab the vibe & look.
Especially want the individual 3 bolt per tube mounting ring feature on my heads.

Trimmed most of the excess tube & epoxy off the front.

Shaping some aluminum washers to use as retainer rings for the tube to head.

With the tube in the head, the header just slips easily in place & hangs securely there with it's own weight.

Edited by Ognib

I can tell you're having fun Ray.  That pic of engine you shared with us is phenomenal.  THAT would be a great one to replicate EXACTLY for your rod.  (hint, hint, I still like the single carb concept)  ;)   Thanks for posting and sharing.  Cheers, Tim

I am having fun building & posting, Tim.

All kinds of knotty little "how am I going to do this" problems which are my strongest attraction to this.

The nascar motor is a 358" small block...in my head, if this were 1:1, it would be close to 600 ci.

Single 4 on this one just isn't radical enough to suit me.  :)

Edited by Ognib

It has been my plan from the git-go to re-shape the rear wheel house body line to fit around the tire.
That with the removal of a section off the bottom of the body would give something like this.

The more I think about it, I really like the idea of having all my chassis/frame work exposed to view.

A sectioned hi-boy, if you will...with total body height unchanged.

A bold styling stroke or lunacy...who knows...

Previous

Glad you stopped in, guys.
Thanks for sharing your comments, much appreciated!
It's our nature to seek the approval of our peers & reassuring to know that they view our design elements & work favorably.

If it doesn't work out, Just one clean cut left the lower section intact...a strip of mat, 1/2 oz resin & 15 min it's back to the way it was.
So far, I'm diggin it.
The name aptly describes my attitude towards this build...not yer daddys 50's era hot rod deuce coupe...extreme in every dimension.

Gotta fab a couple of mounting brackets for the dump tube, to hang it off the frame & then it'll be header time.
I got 20 ft of soft alloy 1/4" armature wire...no more broken bends.

Didn't lose any cabin space, as the floor will still set on top of the frame where it would have anyway.

Thanks, really appreciate the comments.

Yes, luthier going on 20 yrs now.

Before that, 33 yrs in auto shops.

Transferred the tubes location down to the platform so I could locate it accurately with the body off.
Bent a couple of down & dirty hanger straps to hold it while I fit the header tubes to it.
Later, when I'm doing the floor structure, I'll build a nice set & incorporate them into the overall design.

Everything's in rough in right now...but gotta, gotta make sure everything fits now, before finishing.

Hi Scott, good to see you...always enjoy your comments.

Wild & unique, thanks, that's exactly what I want here.

Don't want to build no cookie cutter car

A couple of spots still need a bit of tweaking, but this is the basic config I wanted.
Maby 80% satisfied at this point.

Nice update Ray, those flow so well together.  One quick question, in your pics from the side, the front wheel looks to be moved forward away from the center-line marked on your base.  Will the wheel/tire be located as seen in the pics or did you move it for the sake of taking this set of pics?   Cheers, Tim