Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bill Maverick Golden RIP

That's a loss to us all. I met him at Raceway Park in  Englishtown, NJ, I think it was the 1996 MoPar Nationals with a special Hemi Challenge event. He was doin' runs side by side with Bob Riggle and his Hemi Under Glass Barracuda. Got Bob to sign one of his T-shirts which I gave to my younger brother. Bill was hangin' out signin' the same reissue Lindberg Little Red Wagon kit all weekend. When I presented him with my original, sealed IMC Little Red Wagon kit for an autograph, he freaked out! He started callin' for his wife, sayin' "Honey, this is the old kit I was tellin' ya about!" Told him I was going to make a small slice in the shrink wrap and peel it back an inch or so for him to sign. He said, "Man, you're gonna cut the wrapper?!" I told him if I was gonna open the seal on the kit, it would be either to build it (not gonna happen), or for him to sign it. What a smile that put on his face, he must've spent five minutes just floppin' the box over and over, gazing at all the artwork panels multiple times. We were able to talk for a bit before the next group of autograph seekers started lining up, so after a hardy handshake I said thanks and goodbye. That was a really cool moment for me, I'll tell ya. Never thought to take a picture with the guy! Before the weekend was out, I was able to get Roger Lindamood's signature on one of those Lindberg "Color Me Gone" reissues, too. A cool weekend in MoPar land, even for a FORD guy like me!

Really sad to hear we've lost another one of our motorsport heroes. :>(  A pioneer in drag racing history... Ernie

PS - I'm adding this the next day. When I had finished the above post last night, it was time for dinner, and I never went back to the computer for the remainder of the evening. Today I finally watched the video at the top of the thread, and it's from Englishtown 1996! Odds are I was there watching that run - pretty freaky how things work out...

Edited by XL500