Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra 427 '66 Sebring - 4/21 Finished

afx

Yep. I emailed VRM regarding a release date and am waiting to hear back. They were originally supposed to be released this spring.  Per the website an artwork error has them delayed.

Picture

Well, unfortunately, the screwup is with CSX3016.  The red and blue stripes that are attached to the numbers need to be reversed.  The one on the right goes on the front - the blue stripe should be on the right.  Dummy me...

Get some Silver Mink on your model and if the revisions have still not come back I will sell you a set with the extra stripe segment from my personal sheet (doing the Targa and SF cars) if you dont mind chopping up the stripes a bit.  The caveat is that you have to send me some good pics when it is done that I can use on the website. :)

Steve

Well, unfortunately, the screwup is with CSX3016.  The red and blue stripes that are attached to the numbers need to be reversed.  The one on the right goes on the front - the blue stripe should be on the right.  Dummy me...

Get some Silver Mink on your model and if the revisions have still not come back I will sell you a set with the extra stripe segment from my personal sheet (doing the Targa and SF cars) if you dont mind chopping up the stripes a bit.  The caveat is that you have to send me some good pics when it is done that I can use on the website. :)

Steve

I see it now Steve since you pointed it out.  I would be happy to share pictures with you.  Glad you are doing a correct set. I was worried I would have to use the Studio27 set which got the stripes all wrong.  They even call for the car to be painted Viking Blue.

Studio27Studio27-2S154 Shelby 1965 Cobra-427 Competition-Roadster CSX-3016 900

Edited by afx

Great looking build! On the CSX3016, did they mount brake fluid and clutch cans on the drivers side inner fender wall or on the firewall?

Thanks Allen. I haven't been able to find any period engine bay photos of 3016 but the restored car has the fluid reservoirs mounted on the inner fender.

1076810-2048

Edited by afx

I see it now Steve since you pointed it out.  I would be happy to share pictures with you.  Glad you are doing a correct set. I was worried I would have to use the Studio27 set which got the stripes all wrong.  They even call for the car to be painted Viking Blue.

Yep, I have the S27 set too...they really missed a lot.

The side markings are all wrong - even the Autolites have a black border - should be red.  S27 did not include the Scuderia Bear, Gulf, Sebring Tech, or Pocono stickers.  They also did not do the hand painted red hash marks (the red curved Roman numeral III looking thing right above the stripes).  Those hash mark are crooked and uneven because the real ones were too.

The real car did not get the restoration right either if they tried for as raced at Sebring.

Ahhh...the joys of counting printed rivets... ;)

That looks great ! What is your plan for installing something in the holes for the top and side curtians ?

Thanks Ray.  I typically just leave the holes. It gives the impression that something is there.  That 's what I did on my CSX2026 build.

DSCN1742

Edited by afx

Interesting. On the sunny kit they have fairly large "pins" sticking up as you know and have been trying to figure out how best to deal with them I would normally just try and paint them silver but that just never looks right and is never neat. I am considering drilling them out and using straight pins to fill the holes but am worried they would be too large.

Interesting. On the sunny kit they have fairly large "pins" sticking up as you know and have been trying to figure out how best to deal with them I would normally just try and paint them silver but that just never looks right and is never neat. I am considering drilling them out and using straight pins to fill the holes but am worried they would be too large.

I knocked off the tops of the pins on my body leaving just a bit there to locate where to drill. After drilling them all out I sanded what was left flush to the body. 

That's the issue finding something in scale.

Just tuned in to this one, love the scale-engineering-to-427-spec updating you're doing.

The first Cobra I ever drove was a 427 sitting on a long-gone used-sportscar lot...Grand Prix Motors...not far from Ga.Tech where I was in school. I had a Porsche-engined VW bug, and stopped in to look at the Cobra...they wanted $6500 for the Cobra and offered me $1500 trade for the bug. And...they let me drive the Cobra. I recall going down the 14th street entrance ramp to I-75, accelerating pretty hard, and thinking that every time I shifted gears was rather kike getting hit in the back with a 40-pound sack of potatoes.

Years later, I had the opportunity to drive a restored 289 FIA car, and it made the old stock 427 seem tame.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy