Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 GTO Convertible and Hardtop

Tory

I finally got around to photographing the pair of 1965 GTOs I built back over the winter. They were built for my model car clubs "Showroom Stock" Contest and were meant to be entered as a pair, sort of a his and hers thing. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that the rules state only one model may be entered and so I had to pick one. I went with the convertible and it didn't win, but was very well liked anyhow.

The Convertible was built from an original AMT 3 in 1 kit from 1965. The hardtop was from a later reissue of that same kit. Since the kit was designed to be built either as a convertible or hardtop, the top was a separate part that needs to be glued on and blended into the body, no small task as the fit is marginal at best. I decided to finish them in a very unusual color offered in 1965 called Iris Mist. Since they were to be displayed as a pair I painted them both the same color, I gave the hardtop a black interior and the convertible a white interior. I also gave the convertible white wall tires, while the hardtop got classic red lines. 

Thanks for looking!

Tory

pair_a.jpg

Convert_a.jpg

Convert_b.jpg

Convert_c.jpg

Convert_d.jpg

Convert_e.jpg

Convert_f.jpg

Convert_g.jpg

Convert_h.jpg

Hardtop_c.jpg

Hardtop_d.jpg

Hardtop_e.jpg

Hardtop_f.jpg

Hardtop_g.jpg

Hardtop_h.jpg

Beautiful!...both of them, very clean and the interior and foil work is very well done. I built one of these as a convertible a couple of years back, and really enjoyed it, despite its age the kit still builds up pretty nice.

What wheels have you used is it the Revell 66 wheels ?, they look so much better then the kit stock ones.

Beautiful!...both of them, very clean and the interior and foil work is very well done. I built one of these as a convertible a couple of years back, and really enjoyed it, despite its age the kit still builds up pretty nice.

What wheels have you used is it the Revell 66 wheels ?, they look so much better then the kit stock ones.

Thanks glad you like it!

The wheels are the AMT Rally I parts included in the kit. They are actually very nice if you take the time to paint them carefully. I painted the steel wheel areas Tamiya flat aluminum and the centers and slots with a Testors flat black wash.

Really nice job on both cars. I have a question on the dash detail, are these photoetch guages etc, or hand painted. If photoetch, where did you get them, great job on them.

Thanks

Thanks!

The gauges are hand painted. I primed the dash with Tamiya flat white primer. After giving it ample time to dry I did a Testors flat black wash. When that was good and dry, I took a tiny piece of 600 Wet or Dry sandpaper and lightly sanded the high spots until the white base coat showed through nicely. I did some touch up with the flat black and then when it had time to dry I cut tiny circles of masking tape and masked of the bezels. I then airbrushed on the Brown acrylic wood color. That received a dark brown wash as well to give it a more "wood" look. When all of this was done and the gauge masks were removed I lightly sanded the bezels to bring out the white edges, which from a distance in in photos look like chrome. It's a lot of work but I think the results speak for themselves!

The convertible looks like an original '65 AMT annual and the hardtop an ERTL reissue?

Great color.

Exactly! And there are tiny differences between them, the original is a lot cleaner, specially the raised lettering on the body.