Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASA Pete 1/25

Thanks Sean, but the video does not show. I get a message "User who uploaded this video has made it unavailable for your country". That´s why I´ve never seen this episode of American Trucker. Nor any other. This show was never aired here and if I found it on the net, I got the message ... unavailable for your country.

I must be living in a horrible country... LoL

Good luck with this project, Your model may be the only memory of the space programs ancillary equipment, Always thought the west coast (Edwards AFB) recovery fleet would be interesting as they were Mack trucks.Another aviation support group is the Goodyear blimp fleet

greg

Thanks Sean, but the video does not show. I get a message "User who uploaded this video has made it unavailable for your country". That´s why I´ve never seen this episode of American Trucker. Nor any other. This show was never aired here and if I found it on the net, I got the message ... unavailable for your country.

Sorry I forgot that some country's cant watch A/T...

American Trucker has been aired on Discovery Channel here in Europe, at least one season, and I saw the episode with the NASA Pete's.

I just have a basic TV offer with a few terrestrial channels and they don´t include Discovery. Never mind. Here goes the frame.

I made my own "C" channels for rails and used Revell rear cross members. They consist of two halves and there is a big wide groove between them. To save me the work with putty and sand paper I masked the groove with thin Evergreen stripes. The color coding is: green for 1 mm scrap plastic sheet, grey for Revell parts and white for Evergreen stock. 

P7220589_zpslhzjrsqb.jpg

P7220591_zpspylvlc9y.jpg  

Part of the KFS driven front axle is the auxilary transmission. I thought I would use it as a transfer case but then I got photos of the real one and that looks quite different. So, to the parts box it went I made a new transfer case. I only used KFS flanges for it.

IMG_1121_zpsxdkzs3xe.jpg

IMG_1124_zpsnosg0jbk.jpg

IMG_1119_zpsnewtyowb.jpg

P8050703_zps4illnm5f.jpg

P8050702_zpsusk6muts.jpg

P8050693_zpsanufkri3.jpg

The middle part of the frame is reinforced with "U" cross members. I made mine by cutting square tube lengthwise in half. Notice the bolts at joints.

P9040761_zpsztcl5kbv.jpg

P9040760_zpsrkumowvx.jpg

P9040751_zpsp8a9x7cp.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by truckabilly

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all very much for your comments. Let me go on a bit further with the drive axles. I took them from Revell AG 359 kit, deprived them of the molded on air suspension elements and added the ones that I needed for a rubber block / walking beam suspension. Also added are the air system valves located on the axles. 

Again, the photos of the real thing were taken by Jeff Lakaszcyck.

There are no rubber blocks yet in the suspension. I have to install the front axle first to get the height of the frame. Meanwhile, there are pieces of tack-it gum holding the axles to the frame. I added some details to the middle part like air tanks, air dryer and battery box. Two air tanks come from the Revell kit, the third one is scratchbuilt as well as the air dryer and battery box.

Right now I am working on the front walk-on fenders and that´s where I really struggle. I don´t seem to get the height into the right proportion somehow. I ripped them off four times and I still ain´t satisfied. That doesn´t stop me but it ... you know what it does. I´ll be back when I solve it.