Model Cars Magazine Forum

top dragster scratch build

comp1839

thanks henri.

thanks tim. taking the time to fishmouth the tubing becomes more important (noticeable) the bigger the scale you build in (at least that's what i believe). it takes a little extra time to fit the tubing but,  like every thing we do here....it's one step at a time and every new model is a chance to do a better job than the last one. by the way, the school meets in my garage and you already graduated. you just need to graduate into a bigger scale 'cause i can't see a darn thing you do any more!!!! hehe.

hey joe, i'm sorry about that. seriously i was considering changing it until i took the time to think about what i was doing and what i would have done differently if it were another combo. maybe the turbo and the blower will show up in some small tire 'vettes later.  the bends are done with a purchased tubing bender. i believe in this scale the repeatability of the bend radius and not having the tubing kink are tougher than smaller scale. i do believe in the correct tool for the job theory. be it lo-tech or high tech. ( i do have a subscription to lo-tech-be-us though)

Edited by comp1839

• 2 weeks later...

chris, you better hurry up and git  'er done!!   hehe.

bruce, thanks.

dave, thanks. i was really contemplating the twin turbo motor but, after thinking about what i had already done. i figured i would have to change too many things to make it right in my eyes.

got a couple of moments to start the rear wing, make some lug nuts and make the parachute/ rear anti rotation mount.

Awwww nuts, and I'm talking lug nuts Dave.  I DO like the wing and brace/bracket, but man o' man, those lug nuts are the truest, most accurate I've ever seen.  You gotta be layin' awake at night dreaming this stuff up.  :)   Thanks for sharing!  tim

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, Dave. It looks great. But I think one of the lug nuts is off by a millionth of a millimeter. Ha. I hope to go to the show in September (?) in your neck of the woods. Will this car be there? I know, it's a ways off on the calendar. Looking forward to more.

always a pleasure to hear frm you tim!!!!

dave, glad you like the lug nuts.

chris, no fear buddy!!!

thank you bob.

thanks for following jason.

dr. kerry, i wish it would run! hehe. it would be one enjoyable ride!!!!

thanks, dave! i doubt the car will be done but. i may come display it as a work in progress.

so, my good friend chris sobak did some incredible design work for me. i can't thank him enough. chris designed some dragster seats for me and had them printed. these things are THYE BOMB! (does any one say that any more?) the surface is incredibly smooth. they are also very strong and flexible.  an outstanding job!!!!!!!!!!

That Chris is really a great guy and that seat looks great. I originally thought the top photo was a picture of a gas tank that was also 3D printed. How about another picture of it in place this time??

Edited by gasser59

I generally past over on Dragster builds. Boy am I Glad I looked in!!! Think I'm gonna need to widen my list of build types to check in on. This is Amazing.

Do yourself a favour and check out Tim's Henry J as well. These guys make us all look like a bunch of useless novices. 

That Chris is really a great guy and that seat looks great. I originally thought the top photo was a picture of a gas tank that was also 3D printed. How about another picture of it in place this time??

I'll agree on 2 points. Yes, Chris is a great guy. Next, what Brad said on the "in place" pic. 

Man, I wishes you were coming to Phoenix for the DSC Dave.

Having had the opportunity to see this new material first hand, I must say that it's come a long way and opens up a lot of possibilities, nice job on them Chris.  Today I was fortunate enough to see Dave's dragster first hand and can attest to the mans capabilities.  Some beautiful soldering going on as well as his top tier machining.  I commend Dave for his ingenuity as his plans for the car will raise the bar that much further.  I can say no more except..... Thanks again Dave!!   cheers, tim

so, my good friend chris sobak did some incredible design work for me. i can't thank him enough. chris designed some dragster seats for me and had them printed. these things are THYE BOMB! (does any one say that any more?) the surface is incredibly smooth. they are also very strong and flexible.  an outstanding job!!!!!!!!!!

Dave....  you are more than welcome. You have done some killer pieces for me for the funny car and it's the least I can do to return the favor. I am super glad you are happy with how they turned out. I am looking forward to seeing more progress on this build. 

• 1 month later...

thanks for all the comments!!!  sorry for the late response but, time really gets away from me time to time. got a few moments to work on the dragster in between stuff on the big car.

made a seat frame and fit the seat and installed part of the roll cage. can't say enough about chris' seat.