Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT/Ertl 1957 Ford Thunderbird

Againmikewins

Hey everyone! This is only my second project I've started since 2002. My first one became a mess, so I stripped it and started fresh. This is my first attempt at using automotive paint, so I decided to try it out on a car that I don't care much about, never been a a of them. Interestingly enough, since researching the car online, I've grown to appreciate it! I hope I do it justice. 

I'm using Rustoleum plastic primer, Duplicolor Perfect Match Victory Red and Too Clear Coat. 

I haven't started sanding the body yet, so the runs on the driver's side will be going away!IMG_0897.thumb.JPG.8cf9d699d7c95241aaab5IMG_0900.thumb.JPG.2819468adfea37eeda879IMG_0898.thumb.JPG.2bbe237c5d773dfc09dddIMG_0899.thumb.JPG.ae8b94da7b6d89bb7ee96IMG_0905.thumb.JPG.7f2e7d37242f964e9dae3IMG_0907.thumb.JPG.75a6bdc100d819cdef2ba

Between work and my girl, I'll try to update on its progress! Please feel free to criticise and give me pointers! 

Thanks for looking, see you around!

I'd say dunk it in the purple bath. The Thunderbird trim on the fender is going to get lost soon after paint is applied.

Try using Duplicolor automotive primer. Sandable or not. I use the sandable for if I am doing custom bodywork. It is thicker and fills in small imperfections. The regular automotive wet sands fine and goes on very nice and smooth.

Also, the Duplicolor automotive paint may attack that plastic primer. The primer you used is much thicker anyways because it is made for dried plastic outdoor furniture.

Another good idea is to attach the headlight bezels before painting. Then you do not need to worry about possibly creating a boo boo on the paint. (or worse yet, loosing them)

I'll be watching this, I have a 57 'Bird on the bench also.

Although an old simplified kit, it can be built very nicely.

Do your research on the engine details if you plan to do any. 

Just my 2 cents..... keep on going.......

I'd say dunk it in the purple bath. The Thunderbird trim on the fender is going to get lost soon after paint is applied.

Try using Duplicolor automotive primer. Sandable or not. I use the sandable for if I am doing custom bodywork. It is thicker and fills in small imperfections. The regular automotive wet sands fine and goes on very nice and smooth.

Also, the Duplicolor automotive paint may attack that plastic primer. The primer you used is much thicker anyways because it is made for dried plastic outdoor furniture.

Another good idea is to attach the headlight bezels before painting. Then you do not need to worry about possibly creating a boo boo on the paint. (or worse yet, loosing them)

I'll be watching this, I have a 57 'Bird on the bench also.

Although an old simplified kit, it can be built very nicely.

Do your research on the engine details if you plan to do any. 

Just my 2 cents..... keep on going.......

I will give it a bath today! I didn't realize how thick it went on until this morning when it was dry. It was still somewhat wet when I took the photos, so I was hoping it would lay down. When I went to Autozone, I saw plastic primer and thought it'd work. I now have the Primer Sealer from Duplicolor. 

The reason the headlight bezels weren't there was because they were already lost. Dumb rookie mistake of losing them in the soapy water when I was rinsing the oil off of them and they disappeared down the drain. I've got a set that should be arriving today along with wheel covers for my '70 LTD conversion I'm doing. Gardner44 hooked me up with those. 

I had actually lost hope in replacing them and decided to try my hand at using the '57 Fairlane 500 headlight bezels and adding some putty and filler. It actually looked pretty good. Then Paul came to the rescue with a spare set and I scraped them off. 

I'm excited to finish this car. I stripped the  chrome off of the engine parts and will prep them for  paint today. Then I'll work on the interior. 

Since I'm  just getting back into this thing, I think I'll hold off on engine detailing, outside of accurately painting it. I'd rather do that with a kit that already has more detail. Nothing bums me out more in this hobby than the old AMT chassis that everything molded in. 

If you're going for a mild custom look, how about a set of taillights from a '58 Edsel wagon? I've seen a few 1:1 '57 'Birds with them, they have essentially the same big round taillights, but have a boomerang shape for the turn signal that pretty closely follows the fin line of the Baby Bird. They look pretty natural to the car, and look pretty cool! Also, the after market guys should have them, or maybe you could take them from a junked die-cast. Just an idea for you!

Craig

I've made a little progress on the rest of the kit. The body will have to wait until the barometer drops from 89% in the Detroit area. 

I black washed the grill with Vallejo acrylic wash. I'm happy with the outcome.

A true bummer for me is when I have a kit that has literally EVERYTHING molded in one piece. I'm still a rookie with detailing, so all I can do is free hand the exhaust. I used Model Masters aluminum.

With my nerves still calmed, I painted the tail lights. I'm happy with those results.

I'm still on the fence with this white wall game too. I have a 3 pack of white acrylic gel pens that I tried and they didn't cover so well. I ended up going back over them with a detail brush and Testors enamel flat white. Now they'll sit and dry for eternity, at least from what I've read on this forum. 

I would have had a picture of the engine, but I'm currently waiting for the paint to dry so I can do final assembly there. I'm glad I trusted my gut and not the box picture. I went with Model Masters Ford Engine red there as opposed to the Ford Engine blue like the box. 

Thanks for the advice and feedback. I'm going to keep this one "out of the box". 

image.thumb.jpeg.ed4ae4fef339ce9249afcfc

image.thumb.jpeg.eab33dab4ce53ad77eab3b4Oh yeah! I also shot the interior with Krylon short cuts flat white. I figured I'd save a couple bucks over the Testors flat white. I've decided to go all white with red accents. I'll let this dry, mask off and hand paint with Testors red and then shoot it with clear coat.

Edited by Againmikewins
Forgot a sentence.