Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford WT9000 Total Performance Show

This is the Total Performance/Going Thing rig that Ford took to the race tracks in 1969 to display all of their latest go-fast goodies. I've been wanting to build this for awhile, and I finally found a cab. It's a newer (73-74) style, so the grill isn't correct. I don't know if I want to bother trying to change it or not. I've been looking for more photos of this rig, but they are super scarce. I have a couple more where the rig is in the background, that's it so far.

I need to figure out what the cabs wheelbase will be. For donor parts, I have a built tandem axle chassis of unknown origin, which I may shorten. Another chassis donor option is have two (built and unbuilt) AMT Ford C-600 Pepsi delivery trucks, which are single axle. The trailer will need to be figured out, not sure what I'll use there. And, the graphics will definitely be the biggest challenge for me.

Any ideas or suggestions, I've got my ears on! :)
Thx, Ron

.12074925_10153705699717990_7936857348862FordW9000_001.thumb.JPG.3cbd4a49c396ba04

ford-wt9000-usa685.jpg

Thanks for the help guys, the brochures are great too.

So a 40' trailer would be the way to go here?

I'm scratching my head a little about how they measured the wheelbase on the WT in this shot....

wheelbases brochure.JPG

One way to measure wheelbase on a tandem is from the center of the steer wheel to the center of the two drive axles. Sometimes it is measured to the center of the rear drive wheel. Different places say different things.