Model Cars Magazine Forum

Blast From The Past - 1960 Ford Wagon Custom

Tom Geiger

MVC-018S

This model came to mind in the thread "The Sixties Must Have Been Some Wild Times", so I posted a photo of it in that thread, and thought I'd expand on that in an Under Glass thread.   People know I love to collect these old pieces of history so several friends contacted me when this one appeared on eBay.  Of course I just had to have it! So I placed a generous bid and a few days later it was mine!

What I found cool about this one was the volume of imagination.  This was before the big long limo fad, and adding dual axles. The builder also added a sunroof and a Beverly Hillbillies style granny seat in the back. It had a Model A windshield there when I got it, but it had broken off already so I figured it looked better without it.

MVC-005S

I estimate that this was built in the early 1960s,maybe in 1960 itself.  Examining closely, it started out as a 1960 Ford convertible. The builder sawed it in half and made up the extra length with wood.  He shaped it as best he could, but you can see it's rough in the rear door area.

MVC-004S

The convertible windshield was left intact, and the entire roof is one piece of wood, probably balsa. In this shot you can see the thickness in the front of the sunroof area. Also, our builder only had four of the main wheel and used a second style for the rear axle.  

MVC-024S

That got remedied quickly.  The first time I showed it on the boards, a friend ponied up a pair of matching wheels for it.

MVC-006S

Here's a rear view of that sunroof area where the granny seat is. A corner of the roof was broken off and missing when I received the car.  I've left it so far, but plan on carving out a piece and fixing it someday. Won't be hard to do and I believe the paint is Testors red brush paint so I should be able to match it.

MVC-007S

Our builder added the Chrysler grill with one of the standard 1960 Ford headlights on either side along with the kit bumper.  He did some crude reshaping of the hood to match, and remember that they didn't have decent putties and tools back in 1960 so he did the best he could.

And who knows the history?!  I'd love to know just who built it and the journey it's had up to it arriving at my house in the mail.  I know I bought it from an eBay seller in California, but he didn't know anything about it back then.  Maybe this was a hobby shop contest winner, and how was it perfectly preserved all these years.  We'll probably never know since it's not talking!  

I do enjoy the cars in my Olde Kustom Kollection.  Many of them arrive in decent condition,  I clean them up and am careful not to improve them since their primitive work is part of their charm.  I just add missing pieces like mirrors and spotlights,  match up tires and wheels and proudly display and share them. Others arrive as sad broken messes in a plastic bag,  usually donated by someone who sees promise and I'm the alternative to throwing it away.  So I piece them back together if I can, just to preserve the work of our youth.   These old classic customs are our history!

Tom, have you ever thought about submiting an article to MCM showing some of these old customs? It sounds like you have enough to do a page in each edition. Greg, what do you think, would it be a worthy addition to the magazine?