Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone have a review of the AMT '64 Impala 'Super Shaker'?

pharoah

I guess I'll try this again but with pics. This is the Super Shaker.  Seems like a decent kit but I've yet do build it.  I unpacked it for this thread. There is a choice of the stock or a custom front end, though the custom grille doesn't show up anywhere on the box art but looks like the previous posters pic.  Different scoop and looks like different mags.  I hope this helps John.

Super Shaker Box.jpg

Super Shaker Box Side Panel.jpg

Super Shaker Chrome Tree.jpg

Super Shaker Engine Tree.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

The Hilborn injector manifold in the Round 2 reissue '64 kit is from the '63 annual kits.  One is included in the '63 convertible kit I have, and I'm pretty certain it was in the hardtop also.  Not in the '64 kit are four pairs of very short, plated injector tubes that go with the manifold.  Those are in the Prestige series '63 hardtop, and subsequent reissues of same.  They're on the plated tree, on the side with the custom parts.    

The second-issue Super Street '64 (with the Woodward Avenue box art copied from a GTO ad) included all of the clear parts from the annual kits, including the light transfer bar pieces.  The battery box was not included.  Engraved headlamp detail was added to the grille, though in the kits I have seen the detail is "clocked", or not aligned correctly.  This was corrected with the Street Rods series and subsequent issues.

I used to think that there were two separate '63 hardtop tools; one for the kits and another for the promo/Craftsman kit.  They are probably one and the same.  The slide for the hood area would be different for the two versions (kit with separate hood, promo with molded-in hood).  The engine, firewall, and some other parts probably got moved over to the '64 kits back in the day.  When the simplified engine was later added to the Craftsman version of the '63, they probably altered the body tooling and tooled a new hood instead of looking for the original slide (which may not have existed by then).  That would seem to be the most logical explanation...

Thanks Mark for the tip on the injectors in the Prestige Series and subsequent reissues....took me a bit of looking to find them, but yes, there they are.  Drilled 'em and painted 'em last night...will mary them to the manifold later today....then.....where to put 'em?  Gasser?  Jr. Fueler?  Hmmm.....Thanks again.  TIM t

• 6 years later...
On 11/27/2015 at 5:14 PM, Mark said:

The second-issue Super Street '64 (with the Woodward Avenue box art copied from a GTO ad) included all of the clear parts from the annual kits, including the light transfer bar pieces.  The battery box was not included.  Engraved headlamp detail was added to the grille, though in the kits I have seen the detail is "clocked", or not aligned correctly.

AMTT22264ImpalaParts.jpg.390590bdec4285122594d1d5aa58845e.jpg

AMTT22264ImpalaChrome.jpg.0c6716b8e8abd6b57c3e2bc0b7615af3.jpg

AMTT22264Impala.jpg.aa4e24f3f3ebf58092b14004678ca871.jpg