Model Cars Magazine Forum

TOMYTEC Nissan Cedric Gloria Wagon V20 Deluxe 1/35

Erik Smith

Oh, what could be cooler than a mid 90s economy station wagon model!

Here is a look at Tomytec's (never heard of them either) 1/35 scale 1993-95 or so Nissan Wagon. There are a ton of different versions to be built from this one box, and I have no idea which are which, but...

Here is the box art (very Bandai 1/20 scale kit looking...)

Yes, 1/35 scale but...FULL DETAIL!

Here is the body - beautifully molded  very little clean up needed. Crisp, fine detail - and on a tiny model (how can some companies do this?):

Three sets of wheels! Open steel wheels (with dog dish caps on the chrome tree) and two full wheel cover sets:

Great looking little tires (yeah, they don't look that awesome, but remember, this is 1/35 scale! They are small):

more sprues coming...

Continuing...

Great decal sheet, wood paneling!!!

Very fine and crystal clear "glass" (there are some weird lights - probably a police version of some sort coming along):

Oy! A crappy photo of the chrome - note - three different grills. Dog dish caps. Chrome bumpers (body colored included on white sprue. Two different mirror styles. 

Drivetrain parts, hood:

Black, chassis parts (two different pedal sets - auto and manual transmission):

Bench seats, bucket seats, two different center consoles:

More options (different steering wheels and columns):

And a peek at the instruction sheet (all Japanese):

Overall a really cool model. 

I don't know why anybody wouldn't want a 1990s Nissan  station wagon model. I actually don't know why a company would make a model of one...but they did, so I rewarded there weirdness and bought two. 

Thr kit is beautifully molded and includes so many options! 

This is probably aimed at armor modelers doing today's world. 

That's the ONLY justification I can see for doing a car in 1/35 instead of the far more common 1/32

Charlie Larkin

Yeah, odd subject, odd scale (except for military stuff), not sure where the market is for this thing - except people who really like wagons and aren't afraid of other scales. 

What I can't understand, and am a little jealous of...how come the military scales can produce such amazing detail at such a small scale? I mean, look at the windhshield wipers on this Tomytec kit...they are more in scale than any 1/25 scale model I have! This isn't even the finest molded detail I have seen in a small scale kit.

Yeah, odd subject, odd scale (except for military stuff), not sure where the market is for this thing - except people who really like wagons and aren't afraid of other scales. 

What I can't understand, and am a little jealous of...how come the military scales can produce such amazing detail at such a small scale? I mean, look at the windhshield wipers on this Tomytec kit...they are more in scale than any 1/25 scale model I have! This isn't even the finest molded detail I have seen in a small scale kit.

Two reasons.

1. The military guys will throw a screaming fit if the detail is not provided. 

2. Check the prices. A lot of that stuff is plenty expensive; you pay more, you get it. 

Although we're starting to see some changes, it's a big, slow ship that takes a while to turn; I suspect with new machining and design methods, prices could probably be held to a degree, but, as miserable as it may sound, given the model market today, even holding the $30-ish line may not work well. 

Charlie Larkin

While the 1:35 scale was a dead giveaway that this model was geared towards military builders, the kit's numbering scheme confirms that.  The kit MC-001 (first release) is the military version of the model and the 002 and 003 are civilian.

That is a great little kit. I love the woody decals!  I actually love oddball models (like station wagons).  I wonder if the real car was ever sold in U.S. under another model name?

I don't think any Cedric/Gloria cars were imported to the US - could be wrong. 

Oh gosh darn all of you. I need at least one of each, now that i've seen this thread.

Where are they available from?

G

I got mine from HobbySearch. I would like to get the round headlight version too!  

Thank you very much for the pictures. I have seen this kit on the Hobby Search pages and I have thought of buying one but not done so yet. I guess the scale is the biggest issue for me. I also find it strange that Nissan made this bodystyle still in the mid 90s. It's looks remind me a lot more of the late 70s and eary to mid 80s Laurel that we got here. In the mid 90s the Nissans we got here was the Primera, Almera and Micra and all of them in a much more modern look. But I guess the Cedric/Gloria was a much bigger car that was never offered over here. I guess it would have competed with the Volvo 740/940 and maybe some other large wagons of the day.

Two reasons.

1. The military guys will throw a screaming fit if the detail is not provided. 

2. Check the prices. A lot of that stuff is plenty expensive; you pay more, you get it. 

Although we're starting to see some changes, it's a big, slow ship that takes a while to turn; I suspect with new machining and design methods, prices could probably be held to a degree, but, as miserable as it may sound, given the model market today, even holding the $30-ish line may not work well. 

Charlie Larkin

The cost of this kit directly from Japan is less than $25.

Something else to consider is the Cedric and Gloria while sisters, were separate car models.  Plus as the tradition with most Japanese kits, they didn't de-content it between releases so you get three sets of wheels, two transmission choices, and multiple interior building choices.  For less than $25...even scaled up to 1/24 I bet it's less than $30.  It would actually be great if they would scale it up since there's already two series of Cedric/Gloria kits from Aoshima & Fujimi out there, and I'm sure a bunch of us would love to have the wagons (especially full detail ones) to add to the mix.

Something else to consider is the Cedric and Gloria while sisters, were separate car models.  Plus as the tradition with most Japanese kits, they didn't de-content it between releases so you get three sets of wheels, two transmission choices, and multiple interior building choices.  For less than $25...even scaled up to 1/24 I bet it's less than $30.  It would actually be great if they would scale it up since there's already two series of Cedric/Gloria kits from Aoshima & Fujimi out there, and I'm sure a bunch of us would love to have the wagons (especially full detail ones) to add to the mix.

Oh yes, you can put me down for one that would love to see these in 1/24th scale.

The models depict Y30 series Cedrics/Glorias, which were built from 1983 - 1987.
The Wagon and Van versions continued in production after the introduction of the succeeding Y31, Y32, and Y33 versions,
with the Wagon version ending production in August 1999. The wagon trim packages were the V20E SGL at the top,
with optional woodgrain, the V20E/28D-6 GL, and the V20E Deluxe.

These cars were never exported to the USA, but the entire Asia/Pacific, including Australia and New Zealand, as well as Europe,
the Middle East,
and Africa.

Outside Japan, they were called Nissan 300C.

So for American military modellers, they would be mainly High Visibility Ground Targets.

They did this in 1/24, I'd be in for one. It's a neat piece. 

Under $25? With postage? At that price, I might actually grab one of these to settle curiosity.

Charlie Larkin

They did this in 1/24, I'd be in for one. It's a neat piece. 

Under $25? With postage? At that price, I might actually grab one of these to settle curiosity.

Charlie Larkin

No,  you still have to add postage , if you use SAL registered , puts the total at $35US

Edited by martinfan5

Great looking molds. I have a couple of very fine 1.32nd kits from Tomy and I'm wondering if Tomytec is  the same company with a new name.

I don't know if Tomytec is the new name, but they are indeed part of Tomy.

This is what AMT could have been (quality-wise) if Tomy had maintained ownership, but I suppose people are just happy to have the same old kits with new box art shuffled off the dock.