Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rod Community Build

Pat Minarick

Oooo I forgot, I can actually play in this now. I haven't worked on it in a bit, but here's something I've got cooking.

Would you believe it starts out w/ this kit?

Channeled the body over the frame a little. Super easy to do w/ this kit.

A couple quick mock ups

Found a bed I really wanted to use. Came from the Revell/Monogram T rod thing.

Fixed the rear axle, which is also from the Revell/Monogram T rod thing that's been released a million times. Also fabbed up a crude suicide front spring mount. 

So this is sort of what final ride height will be. hopefully.

As you can see I also chopped down the kit windshield a bit too. It's crude but it fits the style of this thing. I have plenty of clear plastic from the hobby shop to make a front windshield.

Here's the suicide front spring mount. 

All front suspension and drums are from The Parts Box in Australia. Along w/ the front seats, which don't quite fit. Might have to just use one. Or figure something else out. 

Can't figure out what color I want it to be though. It will be a little rusty looking of course. I also am working on creating sort of a "bare" interior look for the bucket body to make it look like it wasn't just a fiberglass tub and more like a real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally it looks like I am actually achieving something. Many hours were spent scouring the junk box. It is amazing just how many of my scrap front ends are missing one side. That is the hazard of buying a huge load of junk off ebay. Some of the cars in the collection had been rebuilt multiple times, if the layers of paint are anything to judge by.

• 4 weeks later...
This group's been quiet for a while so I figured I'd post an update.
After much trial and error and a bit of profanity I managed to get the frame finished and the engine mocked. Wishing I'd added a little more room for the radiator but I can make it work.
I had to box in the cab because it kept breaking at the A pillars because of the stress.
Anyway I love where it's headed.

56 Ford Rat Rod Engine Mockup.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Steve, not much because I was foolish enough to be in the Aussieball CB as well so I'm trying to finish that up. That said, I'm close to getting it off the bench.

As far as the truck, I'm struggling with the front suspension. I don't want to go with leafs so I'm looking at horizontal coil-overs. I've got some pics to work with and since it doesn't have to actually work I think its doable. If not I'll do a mono off the front of the frame.

Thanks for asking.

• 4 weeks later...

This build got buried in the no-man's-land that's Pickups, Vans, SUVs, Light Commercial. No rust or outrageous powerplant, but it's bare metal and aggressive and in some corner's has been termed a rat rod, so I thought I'd post my most recent completion here, The w.i.p., can be found here: '34 Ford Pickup Lo-Boy Hot Rod . The completed build with more pics, here: '34 Ford Bare Metal Bobber .

'34 Ford Bare Metal bobber:

DSCF5245-web_zpsxwldvdkb.jpg
DSCF5239-web_zpsbp5zo8gq.jpg
DSCF5252-web_zpskmbirs7a.jpg
DSCF5218-web_zpso5nybdnr.jpg
Cutaway-Layers-web_zpsjrys7mir.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 3 weeks later...

I know that it's a little premature to throw in the towel, but it's unlikely that I'll start/finish another Rat Rod before this thing is done.

Sure had a lot of fun and I will definitely continue to build jalopies/bangers/and Rat Rods. Wish the rest of you the best of luck on your projects.

I want to see more pictures before the time is up!

SC

• 1 month later...

First off ,I want to apologize . I totally gave up on building anything around July , went through a lot getting divorced. Sorry letting you all down on this community build! I'm not going to go any farther with this .  If you want to finish up your builds and post them ,fell free too. I'm not up to doing much for awhile. My only plan is to try to build a Cannonball car for this year.

Maybe I or someone else could start another Rat Rod community build , but I'm not going to do that for awhile. Again ,sorry . There was a lot of great building going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Pat it's all good. Life happens.

If there is sufficient interest, I'll start an open-ended CBP for rat rods. No rules. Chime in if you'd like me to. Or Pat can nix his end date and we just keep working on this one.

What  ever everyone wants to do is fine with me .  I  will get started on and finish FISHBONES sometime .

Well aside from Steve and myself, it seems interest is limited.

So I recommend Pat, that you just delete the start & end date on the original post and let the CBP continue without end. That way builders who have the interest still have some place to participate with like-minded folks. With no actual rules it should need no supervision on your part.

Well aside from Steve and myself, it seems interest is limited.

So I recommend Pat, that you just delete the start & end date on the original post and let the CBP continue without end. That way builders who have the interest still have some place to participate with like-minded folks. With no actual rules it should need no supervision on your part.

All taken care of !

Well then, time to post up my new rat rod. AMT '37 Chevy Cabrio. It will be built fenderless, channeled and very low. Front suspension will be out in front of the grill on a suicide perch. Wheels and tires from the Revell '29 roadster. Engine from the Beretta pro-street with a tranny change. I'm still undecided on the paint color. More soon.

Here’s my latest project: ’49 Merc Battlewagon

Not really sure if it qualifies as a RAT, but I’m building it with a raw and angry attitude all the same.

Here’s a mock of the Revell ’49 Merc Wagon + Jimmy Flintstone body, parts box grill, wheels, and misc. pieces from the Revell ’49 chopped coupe.

Been plugging away at this over the last couple of weeks….

photo warwagon2_zpse9igs1t3.jpg

...and how it sits today...

photo IMG_1095_zpswtjxycwn.jpg