Model Cars Magazine Forum

Richard Petty 43 JR '65 Barracuda Funny

Snake45

New issue of Chrysler Power (just bought it at Walmart) has some excellent photos of the restored car, including interior and engine pics. I think this is the most/best pics I've ever seen of this car. Good ref for anyone planning to build a model of it.

OK.

Can we some of them here? [sic]

Sure! Just get permission from the magazine and post it here, and then I'll be glad to spend an afternoon scanning them, uploading them to Photobucket, and posting them. Just to save you $4.99. No problem. :rolleyes:

How close is that to  the Hemi Under Glass re-issue?

I think you could use the glass and part of the engine. Entire body and chassis are completely different.

'65 Cuda bodies are available. I think someone might even have an AWB one ready to turn into this car, but I'm not sure about that.

Looking at the photo below, I wonder if this car is "finished". As is, it would not pass tech even in '65!IMG_2323.thumb.JPG.84ef7a56521e3d4be52e2

No seat belts or shoulder harness (required). Seat is not securely braced. No headrest (required), and I can't believe that the pictured roll bar would not have a cross brace (to support the seat back and mount the shoulder harness (not required in '65).

Upon closer examination, I believe that I see a piece of tubing that may have been a mounting point for the belts. I will say this....That car is downright scary from today's viewpoint!

WF

Edited by 6bblbird

No, this is the actual altered wheelbase car that raced most of '65 and into '66. It is the second 'cuda that Petty Enterprises built. The first one was destroyed in a fatal accident during a match race. That one was buried behind the shop.

WF

After the first car was wrecked, where it also killed one spectator and injured several others. A second car needed to be built because of prior match race commitments. The car shown is the second car after restoration.

The only difference between the 65-66 that I'm aware of is the back bumper and lower quarter panel.

Grille, front bumper, front fenders, whole rear quarters (wheel opening shape), taillights, etc. The doors, roof,  hood and trunk lid might be the same between the two, but I'm not even sure of that.

MCW shows the Cuda A F/X. I've had a couple of their resins before and can attest they are of highest quality. Anyone have a source for decals? Top quality injected Hemi motor?

Billy Gooche has the decals . :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Decals-for-AMT-65-66-Barracuda-Petty-43jr-Drag-Car-/301755241956?hash=item46420395e4:g:0ZkAAOSw2XFUjSru

• 1 month later...