Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors enamel and testors lacquer clear coat

Hi all! I have a lot of testors enamel paints on the small jars that I intend to use on my next build. I always thin it with lacquer thinner and it works great for small parts but the last time I sprayed a body in enamel was like 20 years ago with cans because I didn't have a airbrush back then, I have been reading and formulas have changed trough the years and I am aware of that. Now here goes my question after prepping the body I intend to use testors gloss enamel gray ( no flakes or metals) I know enamel takes long to dry and I will be using testors lacquer gloss clear decanted. Now how long should I wait for the body to dry before applying the clear coat and if I get dust on my surface can I sand it down before clear coat?   I also forgot to mention, I do have a dehydrator and also if applying a second color how long after the base is dry should I wait and do I need to spray clear before the second color Thank's

You can use Testors lacquers over enamel, no problem.

I've done it many times.

Testors clear lacquers are very mild.

I've used them over almost everything.

As far as how long to wait, I really won't say.

I've used clear lacquer over flat enamels & the like within a couple of days, but not over gloss enamel.

Gloss enamels take longer to dry than flat.

If it were me, I'd skip the enamel paint & use a lacquer.

I used to use enamels for bodies but always had to wait for several weeks to polish, etc.

Steve

If thin the Testor enamel with lacquer thinner and airbrush it, it will be dry enough for handling and polishing in 48 hours.

I've actually done it after just 24 hours but 48 is better.

I've never had any problem putting any of the mild Testor "lacquers" over their enamel, either.

Don't put lacquer over enamel. Get some enamel clear or some lacquer grey.

You can use Testors lacquers over enamel, no problem.

I've done it many times.

Testors clear lacquers are very mild.

I've used them over almost everything.

As far as how long to wait, I really won't say.

I've used clear lacquer over flat enamels & the like within a couple of days, but not over gloss enamel.

Gloss enamels take longer to dry than flat.

If it were me, I'd skip the enamel paint & use a lacquer.

I used to use enamels for bodies but always had to wait for several weeks to polish, etc.

Steve

When in doubt do a test.

If thin the Testor enamel with lacquer thinner and airbrush it, it will be dry enough for handling and polishing in 48 hours.

I've actually done it after just 24 hours but 48 is better.

I've never had any problem putting any of the mild Testor "lacquers" over their enamel, either.

Thank you all for the info and the advise. Now if I get any dust on the paint before the I apply the clear will I be able to sand it before applying the clear?

Thank you all for the info and the advise. Now if I get any dust on the paint before the I apply the clear will I be able to sand it before applying the clear?

Yes, if it's a solid color. Definitely not if a candy or pearl, and probably not if it's a metallic or metalflake.

Yes, if it's a solid color. Definitely not if a candy or pearl, and probably not if it's a metallic or metalflake.

Agreed.

But to be safe, I would make sure the paint is fully cured before sanding or clearcoating.

Steve

Will do, thank you!