Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. Kenworth W900L...7/17 update...with color!

Not much to report here except to say that my KW has been at a standstill while I wait for more parts. They should be here in a few days so I hope to have some update pics this weekend. In addition to getting going on the sleeper I'll also be tweaking the frame, possibly adding a little more length.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got some more work done on the cab/sleeper. The fairings made the sleeper look longer than it really was so I brought the back of the sleeper out to the ends of the fairings instead of it being recessed. Now I need to tackle the hood. I have a piece of styrene taped in place as a mock grille to keep the shape of the hood true. My biggest hurdle is the grille. Since it's 3D I can't have it chromed, so I tried Spaz Stix mirror chrome spray and I wasn't impressed at all. My other two options for the grille are to try to make one from styrene and have it chromed or paint the existing one body color. Decisions, decisions. :wacko:  I've also tweaked the frame as it was originally too short...now I'm wondering if it's too long!:lol:

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

Edited by Mike77

for the grill, maybe try the metalizer paints? a buddy of mine did some mufflers with the stainless steel metalizer paint, after buffing them, they look like chrome.

I'll look into that, thanks. My limitation is that I don't use an air brush so I'd either have to find something in a rattle can that actually works or find someone who can paint it for me. :mellow:

Edited by Mike77

I got the chassis to a length I'm happy with and I decided to go with double-hump rear fenders instead of the 3D full fenders on this one. They're just set on top of the tires for now until I get everything centered and mounted down the line. I might have to put a little "Whoa!" in my giddyup on this one though with over 6 months left in the contest.

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

Mike,

That is looking good .As an old departed friend would have said " That is longer than a Texas well rope."

As for the contest deadline. Just try to pace your self, but yet use every opportunity to work on it. lol

Be Well

Gator

Now that's a long truck! I thought that my Mack was long. Looking Great!!! Just curious; what is the wheelbase?

I'm too lazy to do all that scale inches stuff so I'll do it the easy way...it's 15-1/2" from the steer axle to the rearmost axle. Google searching has shown me some pretty long rigs. I don't know how practical this would be in the real world but the fun of modeling is that I don't have to turn any corners with this KW. :D

That is lookin really good Mike. I really wish I can get my hands on one of them hoods. I have a donor kit waiting impatiently in my stash, it keeps lookin at me when I get into my stash.

It sounds like I got one of KJ's last W900L conversion kits which is why I'm trying my best to do this one justice. I'm not trying to make a precise replica of a W900L, just my version of one.

thats lookin good mike

and the sleeper looks very good [ no trouble  with him? ]

i know that the sleeper fits not right [ i know by my self ] was terrible to make its fit

this one looks very nice

like the hole upset

nice progress

jacobus 

I'm too lazy to do all that scale inches stuff so I'll do it the easy way...it's 15-1/2" from the steer axle to the rearmost axle. Google searching has shown me some pretty long rigs. I don't know how practical this would be in the real world but the fun of modeling is that I don't have to turn any corners with this KW. :D

Cool! That's a well over 300" wheelbase. I'm liking it. Remember, this is not the "Practical Rig Build Off" it is the "Big Rig Build Off". I think that you have nailed the word "BIG" or at least long. While I'm a big fan of "Practical" rigs, especially in model building, this is going to be a very cool build. Great work!!