Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O. Kenworth W900L...7/17 update...with color!

Cool! That's a well over 300" wheelbase. I'm liking it. Remember, this is not the "Practical Rig Build Off" it is the "Big Rig Build Off". I think that you have nailed the word "BIG" or at least long. While I'm a big fan of "Practical" rigs, especially in model building, this is going to be a very cool build. Great work!!

Thanks Brian! This is probably not one I would've ever done on my own, but when I was thinking about a subject for the BRBO and saw KJ's BRBO conversion kit I thought I'd give it a go. Now that I'm building it and it's starting to look like more than a bunch of parts I'm getting into it a little more. It may not "win, place, or show" but I'm having fun with it and I guess that's what really counts in our hobby. :)

I'm too lazy to do all that scale inches stuff so I'll do it the easy way...it's 15-1/2" from the steer axle to the rearmost axle. Google searching has shown me some pretty long rigs. I don't know how practical this would be in the real world but the fun of modeling is that I don't have to turn any corners with this KW. :D

Cool! That's a well over 300" wheelbase. I'm liking it. Remember, this is not the "Practical Rig Build Off" it is the "Big Rig Build Off". I think that you have nailed the word "BIG" or at least long. While I'm a big fan of "Practical" rigs, especially in model building, this is going to be a very cool build. Great work!!

Yeah, it's well over 300". I went back through the build thread on my custom Ford both here and SA's forum that was originally where that build was born, and I measured my Ford to be 14.5 inches from center of the steer axle to the center of the front drive axle, which I scaled out to be a 345" wheelbase. When I originally measured it with an Italeri 40' container on the back, it came out to a total of 72' long in scale. Now it's pulling a 53'er!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the long range fuel tanks made...basically just two sets of KW tanks attached end to end. I made my own straps for them. The straps look a little thick right now but I'll rectify that at paint time. I think this'll be the first time in my life I've ever gone with painted tanks instead of chrome. They'll be chassis color with chrome ends and chrome straps.

I also made some extensions for the bottom of the sleeper and cab which I'll blend in. I want this truck to be relatively light free so there won't be any chicken lights, cab lights, etc. The battery boxes droop a little because they're just set in place.

With Mark coming to my rescue regarding the grille I can keep rolling on everything else. I haven't started on the engine or interior yet, and I'm still mulling over a hundred different color ideas, but this project is coming together finally. Not trying to build an exact replica of a factory W900L gives me a little more creative freedom.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

Edited by Mike77

• 1 month later...

June update just in case the month gets away from me. I have everything in white primer so I'll have to make a color decision soon. I got the rolled front bumper done...it's just set in place for the photos. I'll be sending it off for chroming before long. Enjoy!

20160620_224212.jpg

20160620_224426.jpg

20160620_224325.jpg

Wow ! That is looking good. I like your front bumper. it is different.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks! I'm not 100% positive I'll go with that bumper, but I got the idea from this KW...

0e906339_mid-evil-criminal-headlights.jpg

Edited by Mike77

I've been debating the rolled front bumper thing myself. What do you guys think. rolled or traditional Texas bumper? I know the one on the real KW has a tighter curve to it because of the custom fenders, maybe it doesn't look as good on a wider wheel opening.

I've been debating the rolled front bumper thing myself. What do you guys think. rolled or traditional Texas bumper? I know the one on the real KW has a tighter curve to it because of the custom fenders, maybe it doesn't look as good on a wider wheel opening.

I think you did great work on that bumper, but I think a traditional bumper would look better.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got tired of stressing over paint color I finally made a choice. It's hard to photograph the model and get the color to show properly but it's Burnt Orange. I'm not sure if I'll add a second color for contrast but I'm glad to see it in color.

On a side note, I've decided to scrap the rolled front bumper in favor of a traditional Texas bumper. :)

20160716_192651.jpg

20160716_192603.jpg

Mike,

That is a great color choice, it stands alone well.But can be used with other colors. Black pin stripes? 

As for the rolled bumper. It is not what I would use . I think a Texas bumper would be the trick.

Be Well

Gator