Model Cars Magazine Forum

new issue Round 2 MPC 1960 Corvette

AC Norton

hi everyone, just thought I would share some info regarding the recently issued MPC 60 vette......I am unable to provide pics, as the camera and photographer in my life is no longer in my life, so if anyone out there wants to jump in with pictures, that would be helpful.....seems quite crisp in  general, some flash on the white parts trees, but nothing radical. chrome is very nice, with little flash, and clean and bright. tires are 4 stock blackwall polyglas style, but not lettered. slicks are the pie crust  MH variety and lettered as in several other Round2 kits. body is very nice, little flash. decal sheet is exactly as the original, with the addition of a few more product sponsors like Howards cams, etc. basically, its every bit as sweet as the original in that all the goodies are included....tow bar, driver figure, rally equipment, skis, the works. the only slight difference I notice are the front coil springs, as the originals had working metal coils, where this has white plastic ones. all the parts are nicely bagged, and the kit has a fold up mini box too. again, sorry I can't provide pics, but any and all questions will be gladly answered.....I have always had a soft spot for this kit dating back to the summer of 69 when I received one as a gift......its just as nice now, I think the MPC guys like myself, and the Corvette guys will love it...thanks again, to the Kats at Round2...........best regards to everyone,....the Ace........:D

If I'm not mistaken, this kit was originally based on MPC's '57 Corvette (same chassis, engine, and so forth), which was a VERY nice kit in its day, easily the match of the AMT Trophy series. A real "parts mine," too, with all kinds of goodies and building options.

I built this kit when AMT was releasing kits a few years back before Round 2 came about. It had the gold car with the black coves on the box top. The metal front springs were included, but the spindles were modified and would no longer work without adding plastic retainers and tabs. Did Round 2 fix the spindles or does everything get glued together solid?. The interior as stated before is incorrect for 1960. It's mostly 1957 with the 1960 dash. Here's how mine turned out.

I have the last reissue of this kit and it is nice. I think it captures the look of the '58-'60 Corvette IMO a bit better than Revell's version. I can't past the incorrect curvature of the side cove though..........especially the bottom part of it.

BTW, if you're looking for springs........you can always check here. There's bound to be something in that pile that'll suit the 'Vette's original ones! :D 

Yeah, if I ever get around to building a '59-'60 'Vette, this would be the one I'd use as I just think the overall body shape is better. You know me though...........I can't leave well enough alone, and I have a way of fixing those coves. BTW, I never knew that this was made from the '57. I always thought they were separate tools-------You learn something new all the time! ;)

I have an original AMT/SMP 1959 Vette I have on the very short list to do ,,maybe this summer or fall.

Anyway,,,,,,On mine the emblem on the decklid as well as some of the area around it  is toast / non-repairable ,,,,,,from a spare tire glued on over it.

Any chance I can cut the decklid out of this OR maybe even use the body itself to repair mine and not be able to tell the difference.

BTW, I never knew that this was made from the '57. I always thought they were separate tools-------You learn something new all the time! ;)

It wasn't really "made from" the '57 tool, though they do share the chassis, most or all of the engine, and most or all of the accessories and goodies. The nice '57 body tool still exists, though I don't think it's been reissued since the '90s.

I have an original AMT/SMP 1959 Vette I have on the very short list to do ,,maybe this summer or fall.

Anyway,,,,,,On mine the emblem on the decklid as well as some of the area around it  is toast / non-repairable ,,,,,,from a spare tire glued on over it.

Any chance I can cut the decklid out of this OR maybe even use the body itself to repair mine and not be able to tell the difference.

Rather than cut the deck lid out, just foil-copy the emblem from the '60 body and put that on your old original.

I have the last reissue of this kit and it is nice. I think it captures the look of the '58-'60 Corvette IMO a bit better than Revell's version. I can't past the incorrect curvature of the side cove though..........especially the bottom part of it.

BTW, if you're looking for springs........you can always check here. There's bound to be something in that pile that'll suit the 'Vette's original ones! :D 

I think it depends on which Revell kit. I LOVE the old 1960 (really a 59) Multi-Piece body kit. Other than engine detail and optional parts, I think body and interior wise it beats the MPC kit in every way.

Revell 1959 Corvette

I think it depends on which Revell kit. I LOVE the old 1960 (really a 59) Multi-Piece body kit. Other than engine detail and optional parts, I think body and interior wise it beats the MPC kit in every way.

I was referring to the newer Revell release of the '58-'59. While nice kits, there are some body details that seem "off" to me namely the grille, and the shape of the rear deck, particularly the convertible top lid as it sits too flat on the body. Should have more of a downward slope to it compared to the 1:1. The older Revell '60 is nice-----almost forgot about that one and I have a few of 'em. :o

One rebuilder, one that I tried to turn into a '58 MANY years ago, and a never touched kit. If it wasn't for the odd shaped cove area on the MPC kit, I'd still give them the nod as for as body shape. That's just me though...........my Mom always told me that I was "too observant". :P

• 1 year later...

Okay! I admit I have sickness. At the last local NNL in May of this year, I won MPC's '60 Corevette in the raffle. What a fun kit. A lot of cool stuff in box. So I decided it's time to build it and the Revell '58 Vette I have in waiting. I'm going to paint them both Ice Blue with White coves. So I started the initial work on the two and decided I really should build AMT's old '59 at the same time, and in the same way. So I hunted down and purchase one off of eBay earlier this summer. From time to time, this got me thinking. I have never built Revell's old multi-peice body '60 Corvette. It might by fun to build that one too, as to compare and contrast to the other three.

So, guess what I did? I bet you can't guess! Okay! You guessed it. I went on eBay and bought the Revell Highway Scenes '60 Corvette (with Die-Cut Diorama Motel). I've heard mixed things about this kit over the years. I got the kit in the mail today. I opened it up, and started doing some sub-assembly work on the kit. Including assembling the the body to get it ready for paint. And you know what? This kit isn't as bad as I've heard. In fact it's actually pretty nice. The multi-piece body goes together quite well. It's easier to assemble than Revell's old '59 Ford Retractable multi-peice body. Now is this kit up to snuff with their more modern tooled '58? Not even close. But so far, at least far as the body is concerned, it looks pretty good. And should turn out looking fine.

Now the question is. Do I need to add Revell's '62 Corvette to go along with AMT's '62 Corvette? I know. It a sickness. But it's something I might have to do.

Now the question is. Do I need to add Revell's '62 Corvette to go along with AMT's '62 Corvette? I know. It a sickness. But it's something I might have to do.

Yes, absolutely. Much, MUCH better kit.

And you also need to track down an old MPC '57 and do that too. And you need to post us pics of everything. Now that we can upload direct to site, there's no excuse not to.

Yes, absolutely. Much, MUCH better kit.

And you also need to track down an old MPC '57 and do that too. And you need to post us pics of everything. Now that we can upload direct to site, there's no excuse not to.

I'll have a hunch I eventually buy a Revell '62 for my collection. As far as MPC's '57, people are going to hate me for this, but the only chrome bumper Corvettes I do not like the looks of are the '56 and '57. I love every other chrome bumper Vette that Chevrolet designed and built. Including the '53, 4, and 5. My favorites are the '63 - '67s (as you know, Snake). I love the '58 more than the '59 or '60. Though I love the looks of those too. But, '56 and '57? I don't know why? They've never caught my fancy. And I've never owned a model of either year (has there been a model of a '56?).

I do like the '62s. And I'm not as critical of AMT's version as everybody else is. At the same time Revell's '62 keeps call me. "Scott buy me." I may have to listen to that call, and add one to my collection.

(has there been a model of a '56?).

IIRC, the original issue of the MPC '57 said you could also build it as a '56, perhaps by painting the headlight rims body color, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

I like the dual headlights of the '56-'57s much better than the quads of the '58-'60s. From time to time I contemplate combining the front end of a '57 with the sharp rear end of a '62 to create an "ultimate" 1G Vette.