Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Accurate Minatures Corvette Grandsport

buildnething

I am almost finished with this one. Just wanted to share the progress so far of this amazing kit. Yes, the instructions suck, but if you read carefully and follow them, you wont go wrong. The detail out of the box is some of the best I have seen in an automotive model kit. Everything looks right to my inexperienced eyes. :)  Highly recommend this kit. The engine out of box is just beautiful, with its side draft carbs and linkages. The photo etch fret really adds another level and keeps things looking in scale. But, I could go on and on but lets get to it. What you say?

Interior: Brush painted, yes brush painted, with Vallejo flat blue...stuff lays flat without any strokes. 

interior_tub.thumb.jpg.38ef84fdaa8d4afb3

The dash assembled and detailed. 

20160110_224954.thumb.jpg.353598f887898c

20160110_225003.thumb.jpg.925137c9d721e620160110_225054.thumb.jpg.0ba73f081c62ec

20160110_225018.thumb.jpg.ba1a3ea3660eed

And here I thought that AM only did cool WWII aircraft kits! Good lookin' build so far Derrick. Got any photos of the kit box?

As well as the Corvette GS range, AM also did a spectacular few McLaren M8B kits in different liveries...

Image result for accurate miniatures corvette         Image result for accurate miniatures corvette      Image result for accurate miniatures corvette

Image result for accurate miniatures mclaren       Image result for accurate miniatures mclaren       Image result for accurate miniatures mclaren

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I just love this hobby! Here is another update on where I am at atm. Take notice of the red dot on the left side of the roll bar, know what that is? That is actually a third brake light these race  cars had installed. The more you know! 

The brake booster with photo-etch bracing in primer. Not detail painted yet20160123_210311.thumb.jpg.6a3a5fb203421d

White Letter Decals from fireball. Not the exact lettering but it will suffice. 20160123_210346.thumb.jpg.c0ee9a7f71cb93Finished interior tub, with seat belt detail and other details picked out. 20160123_210333.thumb.jpg.d595fd3b9dda94

Looking good so far Derrick !

Tires might be better painted, since the decals never line up:angry:

Engine looks good ..Darn those floating alternators!!

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Cheers

Thank Belugawrx! I like the name. My "youmg" uncle has a fully built 2004 WRX STi pushing about 500 with an E85 Tune. The thing is insane. With tire decals, I ended up sanding the raised detail off on the Goodyear part and then laid them down. They look better in person, not so much up close with the camera. :( 

Looking good.  BTW, this kit is available from Revellogram; AM is out of business.

I was looking for that kit instead hoping it would be cheaper, it was harder to find, so I decided to just get this one off ebay. Im not a collector so box quality didnt matter. This one was damaged but all the parts were still sealed! I think I got it for about $35 shipped. I would love to get the Revell one too and build that version as well. 

Still looking great, cant wait to see the finish!

Thanks Dann. I am now working on the dreaded painting of the body. I have already had to do some spot sanding on the color. Had some blemeshes in the paint. UGH!  I have to use rattle cans, until I get more comfortable with my airbrush set up. but I do use Tamiya, at least. I am using Tamiya dark blue. Hopefully after this second wet coat it will be good. 

Thanks Dann. I am now working on the dreaded painting of the body. I have already had to do some spot sanding on the color. Had some blemeshes in the paint. UGH!  I have to use rattle cans, until I get more comfortable with my airbrush set up. but I do use Tamiya, at least. I am using Tamiya dark blue. Hopefully after this second wet coat it will be good. 

I use nothing but rattle cans. to me, I hate cleaning the airbrush. keep up the great work!  -cant rush art.

I was looking for that kit instead hoping it would be cheaper, it was harder to find, so I decided to just get this one off ebay. Im not a collector so box quality didnt matter. This one was damaged but all the parts were still sealed! I think I got it for about $35 shipped. I would love to get the Revell one too and build that version as well. 

Derrick I think you'll find all 3 GS's are the same Kit eventhough the Box Art indicates the White AM one to have a different Hood. Historic Racing Miniatures makes a twin scoop hood got the GS PN HRM 601 if that's what you're looking for on another build.

BTW, he build is coming along nicely, Too bad about those Slots. 

Thanks for the info! I think I am going to source after market decals, not sure though. We will see. And yes the slots are a pain, and I should have went back and filled in more, I rushed. But I am okay with that, its not a show/contest car. I just build the best shelf model I can to put into my display case and I am happy with that. Maybe one day I will enter. Im still young. LOL 

Have you started the body yet?  The photo etch hood vents are "interesting" to get the white stripe onto...

Yes I have, only one coat of Tamiya Dark blue, but I had some issues and had to spot sand. Will do another wet coat and see where its at! This variant has the hammerhead like front stripe with the stripe going down the center in between the vents. I hope at least!?!?!