Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D printed parts?

Anyone have any experience with 3D printed 1:24/1:25 scale parts?  I see there's a company named TDR innovations that sells a bunch of stuff for different scale models but I can't find any REAL pictures of their stuff, just computer models.  they state that they don't actually 3D print this stuff themselves so I assume they use a 3rd party and give them their designs?  I'm mainly only interested in a 3D printed carburator in the 1:24/1:25 scale because by the rendering, it looks super detailed.  

Edited by keviiin86

search '3d printing' for a number of threads here. TDR is a quality company and is a member here. I don't have any personal experience with 3D printing but some members here do have considerable experience. I'm speaking out of turn, but just wanted to get the ball rolling :D

Edited by Foxer

I am also looking into the 3D printed parts world..from my research so far, TDR seems to be the place to go. The only thing I'm worried about is in the 1/24-25th scale (I cannot afford to goto the 1/16th or bigger) I am worried about the prepping process before painting

I am also looking into the 3D printed parts world..from my research so far, TDR seems to be the place to go. The only thing I'm worried about is in the 1/24-25th scale (I cannot afford to goto the 1/16th or bigger) I am worried about the prepping process before painting

what would make the prepping process any different from 1:16th to 1:25?  Only thing i noticed is the material they use in some photos is a clear type plastic, is that what you're talking about?

Go to Shapeways.com TDR has their items printed from there. I've purchased a set of wheels from a different designer, not TRD, but their stuff looks good. The wheels were abit rough, not bad, like a lot of resin that's out there. The material is easy to sand out and the wheels looked pretty good. They are however fragile, like HD resin wheels. You cant push on the centers at all like you can with injection molded plastic, you just have to use caution.

Hope this little bit of info was somewhat helpful.

David

Reproducing the detail in scale is the issue. A high resolution printer is required to acheive a good looking 3D Printed part, especially in the smaller scales. You are not going to get there with a cheap, desktop style machine. That high resolution print also translates into higher cost per piece.

I have printed some very nice looking 1/24th scale Vector style wheels thru Shapeways using their Extreme Frosted Detail. I got pics of them, I can post some if you want to see what is possible with this material. Modeling a carburater is easy, reproducing the fine detail is the hard part.

Mark

I picked up a set of 3D printed wire wheels for my Jaguar E-Type.  They're absolutely lovely.  You have to sand the wafer off the back of them, but there's no assembly needed except for painting and installing the knock off.

What scale? They aren't "fuzzy"?  Will they look like shiny smooth metal when painted?

I'm curious about these 3d printed parts myself. I know that there are different qualities, almost as in pixels. Some can be very course and some fine when printed. A while back i was talking to a guy that had some wheels made that he designed on sketch up and sent to a company that printed them. They looked pretty good, but very delicate. I don't think a home printer, even a $500-600 one could print those wheels I saw.  Ken

im guessing since TDR used shapeways to print their sruff i would asusme their printers are pretty expensive and can print quality pieces.  But still Id like to see just how detailed a 1:25th carburetor is.

for instance this is a carb offered on teds modeling made by TDR (eventhough it says its a dominator its not..but supposedly this is 1:24th scale, if true thats amazing detail.

Screenshot_2016-02-04-09-52-10.png

I must be a dinosaur, but I've been building plastic model kits since the mid-'50's and have enjoyed the hobby.
I don't think that I'll ever be interested in 3-D printed parts. The only thing I need is more motivation to finish more kits per year.

As of now there is only one kit that i know of that has a nicely detailed holley 4150 style carburetor and thats in the AMT 57 bel air street machine kit which i may just buy to harvest a few parts from..but if i dont have to Id like to just get a few of these 3D printed carbs if they are as nice as they look in the picture i posted above.

Edited by keviiin86