Model Cars Magazine Forum

Words/Phrases You're Sick Of Hearing?

Snake45

There used to be an Off Track Betting parlor on Second Ave., between 52nd and 53rd Streets, in Manhattan. It featured a full service restaurant and bar, in addition to betting windows. It also had a dress code. A betting parlor with a dress code! Jackets required. If you didn't have one, the maitre'd (yup) would provide you with a gawd-awful Kelly Green blazer.

Now, back to our show:

How about "Handyman Special"? Euphemism for property one step above condemned.

"Cream puff" to describe a used car. Ever see what an old cream puff looks like? 

"Daily driver" - so are garbage trucks.

gang-controlled ghetto

Real estate developers refer to this as "ripe for gentrification". 

"Near all public transportation" - every subway station within a 20 block radius is closed for "capital improvements" for the next three years. Oh, all seven bus lines have been rerouted around and out of the neighborhood indefinitely. Forget about cabs. They avoid gang-controlled ghettos ripe for gentrification. Forget the ones with a driver and passenger in the front seat. They're working plainclothes duty.

Edited by SfanGoch

I'm sick of hearing anything from Flo, that insurance bimbo. She used to be cute--several years ago. Now she's just annoying and lame. Go away already!

That's the problem with all clever ideas/ads/spokespersons, etc. You see them enough times and they go from clever... to boring... to annoying. Take the Trivago guy. Likes nails on a chalkboard to me.

Although I still do like the Geico gecko! :D

Ok, here are two that really annoy me...

These days, no matter what company you're calling, if you call their customer service number, you inevitably get a recording that says... "please listen carefully, as our menu has recently changed."

They all say that. Every time! No way everybody's menu has "recently changed," it's just a stupid line that I still don't understand the point of.

And then when you make your choice, annoying line number two: "Your call may be monitored for quality control or training purposes."

May be? MAY be? And who decides which calls will be "monitored" and which ones won't be? Obviously, all calls will be recorded... there's no maybe involved. Just another stupid line that annoys me to no end.

And then when you make your choice, annoying line number two: "Your call may be monitored for quality control or training purposes."

May be? MAY be? And who decides which calls will be "monitored" and which ones won't be? Obviously, all calls will be recorded... there's no maybe involved. Just another stupid line that annoys me to no end.

And they're not even using the right word. When they say "may be," they want you to hear "There is some possibility that...", so they should be saying "MIGHT be..." "May be..." literally says that they have permission from somewhere to do it. Come to think of it, maybe they are using exactly the word they mean, and if you slept though 7th grade English, that's not their problem." :D

And they're not even using the right word. When they say "may be," they want you to hear "There is some possibility that...", so they should be saying "MIGHT be..." "May be..." literally says that they have permission from somewhere to do it. Come to think of it, maybe they are using exactly the word they mean, and if you slept though 7th grade English, that's not their problem." :D

You are correct. And I'd bet that 98% of Americans don't know the difference between "may be" and "might be."

You are correct. And I'd bet that 98% of Americans don't know the difference between "may be" and "might be."

Your estimate of ignorance might actually be low. But then I used to be a book editor and was expected to know things like the proper use of may, might, and can (permission, possibility, and capability).

Heck, I can even do assure, ensure, and insure! (Hint: If you don't know the difference, go with "ensure" as you'll be right about 80 percent of the time.)

Well fellas, the Oxford online dictionary seems to think, along with me, that one 'correct' use of the word "may" is as a modal verb defined as  "expressing possibility".

Thought you'd like to know. :D    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/may

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Ok... I'll agree that "your call may be recorded" can mean "there's a possibility it will be recorded," but I still don't see why they say your call "may" be recorded when what they really are telling you is that your call will be recorded, and there is no possibility that it won't be.