Model Cars Magazine Forum

Words/Phrases You're Sick Of Hearing?

Snake45

I dont know if its been mentioned already,but what about...BAE. I guess it is supposed to mean Before Anyone Else? I see it in memes all over the place. It makes me want to kick a puppy. 

Hmmm. I always thought BAE was this. Guess I don't know much.   http://www.baesystems.com/en/home?r=US

And incidentally, they're a company that overuses another one of my most-hated business-speak terms..."solutions".

"Solutions" has been worked to death since, I guess, the mid '90s, for products and services ranging from septic-tank pumping to military vehicles.

Please stop, and just call things what they are. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

"Solutions" has been worked to death since, I guess, the mid '90s, for products and services ranging from septic-tank pumping to military vehicles.

Please stop, and just call things what they are.

A nice neighborhood mom started a home business called "Basket Solutions." I tried and tried and tried to think of ANY problem in my life for which a basket would be a good solution. I failed to come up with one.

And yet another of my pet peeves; the financial "product". How can a monetary loan be a product?

You just reminded me:  Calling buying a car (or other major outlay) an "investment." It's especially galling to have some young person tell you you should "protect your investment" by purchasing undercoating, floor mats, or an extended warranty. I like to tell such people that they obviously don't know what the word "investment" means.

A nice neighborhood mom started a home business called "Basket Solutions." I tried and tried and tried to think of ANY problem in my life for which a basket would be a good solution. I failed to come up with one.

Well, a basket is good for.....for instance, you could...........maybe you can........ask her. This is her fault. 

What does that wiseacre yoot know? He probably uses a unicycle, skateboard, fixie or pogo stick for transportation. How many "investments" automatically lose 10% of their value as soon as you complete the purchase with the broker/seller and continue to devalue 10% annually thereafter? 

I am cursed with such an accent. My family is country through and through, from rural West TN, and everyone in it (except my mom. who has a strong old NC tidal accent) talks like it. But from childhood I have talked like Walter Cronkite. No one in my family can explain it. We didn't have a TV when I was a kid. But I remember being about five years old and my grandmother making fun calling me a Yankee. All my life, folks ask where I'm from. People get it into their head that I'm from the north, the west, the east, whatever. Every time my company moves me to a new store or job in Memphis, I have to explain all over again I'm born and raised here. But when I worked in IL an WI, folks there thought I was from somewhere on the other side of the Midwest.

Funny thing is, with my generic accent and all, I recognize accents very well. I used to be able to tell what county in TN you were from, or if you were MS, or AL, or GA or TX. But accents everywhere have changed in my lifetime. Heck, I had friends when I was a teen who talked sorta like me, but when Dukes of Hazzard became a hit, they all started talking like Cooter - and still do. But what I hate more than anything is that the old North Carolina accent is disappearing. I've always loved it, but rarely hear it unless I'm seeing some old documentary on Youtube.

When I was in South Carolina a few years back with my better half, I really liked the way the young waitresses would talk y'all.

Not a word or phrase but an observation that bugged the heck out of me..

Last night my family went to a decently nice restaurant to celebrate both my wife and daughter's birthdays. The majority of the diners are all dressed nicely, as if they are out for a nice dinner on a Saturday night. There are some people who are dressed a bit less than casual, and that seems to be normal these days, whether it be a restaurant,  church or even a court appearance.  So I let that go.  The thing that IRKED me was the numpties sitting in this fine dining establishment wearing baseball caps!  

Now I get the bald thing, I'm there myself and I own my fair share of caps. I will wear one when I go outside in direct sunlight, especially in the summer, so I don't fry the top of my head.  But I was always taught that gentlemen remove their hats indoors. There wasn't a single woman with a hat on in this restaurant, but I scanned the place and there were three guys wearing their baseball caps as they dined.  One even had his on backwards.  What is up with these guys? Never mind the clueless guys... what is wrong with the women they were with, that they didn't tell them to take the fricken hat off?!?!

Now I get the bald thing, I'm there myself...

Now Tom, we can't be using the "b" word anymore. The politically-correct term is "follicularly challenged", or, depending on the degree of the challenge, "comb free".

Please make a note of these replacements for future reference. 

NOTE: It has also come to our attention you persist in using the word "clueless". Please substitute the term "factually unemcumbered" in any subsequent communications.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy