Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Dodge Dart 440 Hardtop Jo Han C-4162 "USA Oldies" series

Junkman

Also note that this kit has the convertible interior bucket instead of the correct hardtop interior. You can tell by the dog legs on the rear door panels.

To expand on this, as I posted in the Tips section: The interior bucket is a modified '64 Dodge promo interior; the '62 Plymouth uses the '64 Plymouth promo interior. The package shelf was altered to fit the more rounded back window, and a small piecut wedge was added on the side panels where the dashboard mounts. Both are not too hard to fix. Good news if you want to do a correct bench seat '64, bad news if you want to do a correct '62.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/107174-stock-64-dodge-polara-interior-non-500-update/

Edited by ChrisBcritter

The "shortcomings" of Johan kits don't concern me...My building style pretty much excludes Johan interiors and chassis from the finished product. The bodies, however, are the reasons I seek out these unique subjects for my builds. My current project is a Max Wedge 62 Dart that I purchased as a complete kit for the body, glass and chrome only. I DID ask about the incorrect dash in another post out of curiosity, but consider the "Back-Dating" to the correct 62 dash as just another part of the build. I chose the Revell 68 Charger as the chassis donor rather than the Lindberg Polara and the interior is entirely scratchbuilt--except for the dash, of course...Thanks for posting the kit review to confirm my suspicions!

DSCF3962.JPG

DSCF3955.JPG

DSCF3958.JPG

• Like 1

When the USA Oldies kits came out, Dennis Doty was quick to point out some of the 'errors" in interiors in his published works.   While not mentioned in this thread, the engines in these kits were for the most part pretty primitive as well.  

At the time, Dennis was close to Joe Haenle  and well aware of some of the challenges he faced in running his company.  At the same time, we as modelers in the mid 1970's were overjoyed to get a chance to buy these models of some long-favored automotive subjects and be able to build them once again.  Because back then, there was almost no way to acquire old, out of production kits, unless you were lucky enough to live in a metro area with enlightened merchants like Models Hobby in Ferndale, and two other store that Dennis and Chuck Helppie showed me - one on East Eight Mile Road in Detroit, the other in Wyandotte. Mail order of old kits was not yet to arrive, and 'toy fairs" at the time were just getting started, and tended to focus on 1/43rd and toys, rather than 1/25th scale kits.

In short, the JoHan kits were timely, incredibly well received by adult modelers, and while subject to some "errors" as noted in this and other threads (which resulted from an effort to get these kits back into production, with a minimum of fresh investment and additional time to market), were a real boon to the adult modeling hobby when introduced in the mid 1970's/     

TIM 

I'm glad I stocked up when they were available, I even remember buying kits from Jo-Han models direct; somewhere in the early '90s, Think I still have the invoice somewhere...

I tried replying to this a few days ago and got major errors.

I have the 5 62 MoPar kits from the USA Oldies series

Though the Convertible of the Dodge is in an Original box,

it IS a Re-issue as it is the SAME Orange as the hardtop,

And has the heavy Plastic axles ONLY in later issues!!!

(I had a Marliin kit with Wire rod axles,!)

Both my Dodges have the 63 dash.

Also in checking, Both my 62 & a re-issue 63 Fury Hardtop 

have the Same interior.

The Plymouth Convert has a Split Bench with armrest

and different upholstery pattern

#5 is the Chrysler 300

Need to check that one again

I wish the old Jo-Han kits, with errors or not, could be reissued. Wrong dashboards and interiors don't bother me too much. Look at AMT's '66 Buick Wildcat that has been reissued several times over the years. Right from the start, back in 1966, it never had the right dashboard or interior. They just took their '65 Wildcat and updated the exterior. So it's always been wrong. Would it have been nice to have the correct dash and interior at the time? Yes. But, would I have known it was wrong in 1966? Probably not.

Today I do notice when things like dashboards are wrong in kits. In a newly tooled kit, this would not make me happy. In an old reissued kit, I'm willing to forgive things a little more. And would be happy just to get the kit back.

• 2 months later...

Also note that this kit has the convertible interior bucket instead of the correct hardtop interior. You can tell by the dog legs on the rear door panels.TY

Typical AMT MPC Johan 1960s1 interior fits all. Mostly all hardtops uesed universal convertible interiors with top well

I'm glad I stocked up when they were available, I even remember buying kits from Jo-Han models direct; somewhere in the early '90s, Think I still have the invoice somewhere...

They were a few bucks maybe $3 IN 1974 UP TO $6 OR SO IN TH 1980s. Pretty cheap.

Good commentary Casey. You took the words out of my mouth.

Anybody ever get the tail lights to fit the '69 Rambler Scrambler? I couldn't and if I ever did, they would be incorrect.

Typical AMT, MPC and Johan to have a one interior tub fits all; convertible tub used for hardtops as well. Saves money and back then the picky builders didn't exist. The only exception I can think of is the 1961 Impala 4dr had a unique interior tub. But it was not available in a kit.

Johan Promos (1964+ it seems) had bench seats but the kits had buckets. I'm not too crazy about the Caddy buckets in the 1964 and 1968 Oldies kits. The Plymouths were the same when they were new promos/kits.

But we can't cry too much. USA Oldies kits, as flawed as they are, are a great starting point for a model project.

Yes a great starting point  try to whittle a 1964 Cadillac or 1962 Chrysler 300 with a knife.

Been working on my 62 Dodge Dart dashboard, needs a little more work but I think I'm getting close to where I want it. I bought Best Model Car Part's 63 Dodge Gauge decals and the speedo decal is just right for my modified 62 gauge panel. Need to find decals for the round dials.

62 DODGE DASH 3.jpg

• 7 years later...
4 hours ago, #1 model citizen said:

I realize I’m 7 years (!) late to the party but I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents worth and let you all know that Parts by Park offers the correct dashboards in resin now. 

Might you have contact info for them? I found nothing with Google.