Model Cars Magazine Forum

Am I a bit OCD with my models?

JustanotherKiwi

Hi guys, I have noticed a few models built by some very experienced guys with things as such of motor halves not meeting edge to edge too well( not a critism) after paint, on diffs too.

I am wondering if I try to go too far in getting the engine halves to meet perfectly, or sanding individual supercharger parts so there is next to no visible joins etc?

What happens is my models take AGES, having only got back into the hobby about a month ago I realize how many unfinished kits I have, from previous hobby times .

I am thinking of just taking of slag and trying to leave it at only taking the obvious high/low points down and calling it done.

How far do you go?

First off, welcome to the Forum Paul.  I'm like you in that I have many started but few finished.

When I see a finished model, my eyes are always drawn to visible mold lines and parts seem lines. Call me crazy. LOL Something like an out of box build is finished at the comfort level of the builder, so may or may not be important. The completed model that do puzzle me are the ones that are immaculate ... paint, fit, finish, details ... however no seem/mold lines have been removed from radiators, engine blocks, transmissions, exhaust systems and so on. If the builder went to theses lengths to achieve realism, why leave behind blemishes that give the finished model a toy-like appearance? I know, I know, this has been covered a million times before. And of course, this is my take on things. :lol:

I don't think it's OCD at all to try and get things to fit properly. 

X2. I have a lot of in-progress models, some of them drawing out over years. 

I take the time to do work that satisfies ME. I'm not in a rust to finish anything

It's gratifying to look at the parts of the builds I HAVE completed and to never have to think "gee, I wish I'd taken a little more time so that so-and-so didn't look like carp".

And to quote Bill Allen, above: "When I see a finished model, my eyes are always drawn to visible mold lines..." etc. I'm not trying to be a picky SOB, and I'm my OWN harshest critic. Flaws jump out at me, on real cars just as much as they do on models.

Nobody else has to work to the standards I set for myself, and YOU don't have to work down to a standard that's less than what's natural for you just because other people build that way.:D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks guys, I felt that I would keep going as far as I was anyway, I find it very relaxing.

I had put my kits away about 3 years ago because our house was too small to leave the model I was working on out, which is just frustrating, I now have a big desk that is 42" X 60" with 5 drawers and a double wardrobe space for storing kits, I also can use our laundry space for painting as our garage is damp( solutions coming for that), so I know the hobby can happen without impeding my family.

So some of my unfinished's can hopefully get finished now( although I will probably start more?!)

I've been judging at local and regional IPMS competitions for years and years now, Bill (mostly aircraft and armor), and as such have acquired a "critical eye". I seem to immediately overlook all the decent work that’s done well and jump directly onto the flaws that I see, which are quite frequent.

Regarding my own models, some stuff I’ll certainly let slide, especially if the model is just for me, but if the model is destined for serious competition, I’ll make sure to take the time to do it as well as I can.

I agree with the others, but I also know that "real" automotive parts can have seams and a rough, unrefined look to them. IMO, if you remove every seam, and clean up all the parts too much, you lose a depth of realism. I, like others have been around cars my whole life, and if I don't know how "finished" a part is suppose to look, I find it in pictures, internet, or auto parts store.

Other than the awful feeling of leaving something undone, I'm not in any hurry to get a model done, so I will sometimes detail a kit way beyond what I might do on another kit. I look at it like an artist might look at a painting, sometimes it needs more, and sometimes less is more. I'm not a planner, so I will just let inspiration be my guide, and so often I end up with something completely different than I first envisioned. That may sound completely nutty to someone who has to have every step planned out. Are you OCD? Maybe. I'll see your OCD, and raise you a ADH...oh look something shiny...

well I just have some issues on painting a model. it makes me wash and repaint one model again and again. feel terrible and hard feeling...

I am the same, I was avoiding painting bodies until I realised that was stupid, I now know that if the primer goes down right then the paint should too?! I say that with no certainty at all.

There is only one thing in life that is certain, and that's doubt . . . . I think?

For me it's about experience...I'm pretty new to the hobby, and cruising these forums makes me want to gain the skill and confidence to build something even remotely as nice as some of the builds I've seen, but I guess I just feel like I need to get the basics down before I move to more advanced stuff. For instance, for the most part right now I build my kits box stock...I don't wire the motors or spend hours on the small details, and I don't have very many spare parts to kit bash from yet. I'm still trying to get a feel for the painting aspect. I do paint all my models, and I'm getting ready to buy my first airbrush and move away from rattle cans because once I figure out how to use it properly I think it'll help me greatly (I have a hard time not throwing paint on too thick with rattle cans). I currently don't clear any of them, though I'll be trying that on the build I'm working on now (55 Chevy Stepside) once I think I've mastered the color sanding and polishing. 

For me it's about experience...I'm pretty new to the hobby, and cruising these forums makes me want to gain the skill and confidence to build something even remotely as nice as some of the builds I've seen, but I guess I just feel like I need to get the basics down before I move to more advanced stuff. For instance, for the most part right now I build my kits box stock...I don't wire the motors or spend hours on the small details, and I don't have very many spare parts to kit bash from yet. I'm still trying to get a feel for the painting aspect. I do paint all my models, and I'm getting ready to buy my first airbrush and move away from rattle cans because once I figure out how to use it properly I think it'll help me greatly (I have a hard time not throwing paint on too thick with rattle cans). I currently don't clear any of them, though I'll be trying that on the build I'm working on now (55 Chevy Stepside) once I think I've mastered the color sanding and polishing. 

What I did years ago was to buy cheap kits, subject matter I did not really like to get my painting a bit better, that way you are not too annoyed with yourself if it goes pear shaped!

I too will get an airbrush this year, I find a lot of rattle cans paint is thick, try standing the paint in a bowl of hot water for about 4 mins( not too hot as the can will expand, generally if you can put your finger in it the temp of water is fine, don't boil the jug or anything use tap water) this thins the paint and raises the pressure in the can, you will find better results with less paint build up. Also try Tamiya paints, they are expensive, but very nice and thin, fumey though, better to spray outside.

Is this an actual build thread or a how I like to build thread? 

Where is the model?

Daddyfink, I now realize after your post this thread should maybe be in general discussion ?

I am going to say it is a how we build thread, I am only just setting up again, to the point where I am yet to get paint again.

I have a thread about the 36 Ford Roadster(50's ish racer) I am building, which was stalled as I had misplaced one of the Rocker covers to the 389, now found I can get more progress on that, I am also doing a gasser type build with AMT's 56 Vicky, and a 60's type Drag build of AMT's 39/40 sedan, similar to the box art of the 60's release. I have a few others on the go but was getting I think too picky, it is easy to try to compare ones self to more experienced builders when the ability is not yet there, this thread was a way of hearing the view of others, in the process changing my view of building to get to a point where the enjoyment factor is the driving force, rather than trying to build above my current ability levels.

Mods feel free to move this thread to where you see fit, can you pm me please to tell me where if you do?

Thanks

I usually keep an eye on things like seams......to a certain extent.

I agree that things like mold lines on a radiator jump out & grab me when I look at a build, but it's all relative.

If the build is basically OOB, with no engine wiring or plumbing, I guess it's to be expected.

It only seems odd to me if the builder went over the top with little details & then missed the seams.

I've seen some very nice builds with terrific paint jobs where the builder declined to remove the mold lines on the body! :blink: 

That one has always baffled me.

I'll usually hit things that are readily viewable like radiators, engine blocks, etc.

But, you'll not likely every find me sanding mold lines from parts like exhaust pipes.

Steve

Hi Steven, yes agreed about the very obvious stuff, and your comment about seams got me thinking, the under of the car if the car is not handled is not seen, knowing it is good is one thing, but at this stage like a lot of people I have limited building time, so to be able to get through kits quicker while taking care of stuff that can be seen, I can get more than kits done!