Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Torino GT WIP Finished.

Samiches

I painted the body and a few other parts last summer  and let it dry for about a week before I put it away in my build pile.  I usually paint several models in advance during the summer so I have something to build in the winter.  I opened up the box last week to discover the following:

20160311_181812.jpg

20160311_181838.jpg

Edited by Samiches

The clear coat fail was an unpleasant surprise.  Its been soaking in the purple pond for a good week. I'll have to wait a little bit for a nice day to try and paint it once again.  

On the upside, the engine is coming out nicely. I tried to use the distributor points molded in the kit, but I had no luck with the 90 degree boots.  I ended up cutting them off and drilling them out.  I then used Spencer1984's method for making 90 degree boots which worked out nicely.

20160311_181630.jpg

20160311_181644.jpg

I had to look up the chassis to see what was frame and what is molded into the chassis. I thought the rear wheel wells might of had inserts so I made sure to give them full paint coverage.  I don't think that is the case in real life.

Thanks for looking!

20160315_142043.jpg

20160315_173427.jpg

I had to look up the chassis to see what was frame and what is molded into the chassis. I thought the rear wheel wells might of had inserts so I made sure to give them full paint coverage.  I don't think that is the case in real life.

Thanks for looking!

20160315_173427.jpg

I like where you're going with this.  What's your secret for detailing hard lines without slopping paint over onto the chassis?

I'm curious.

Did you use Testors clear for your clear coats?

If so, this looks like a perfect example of why I stopped using it.

I have had similar issues appear, (although not as badly) as long as a month after clear coating.

After ruining 3 or 4 paint jobs this way, I swore off Testors clear.

I've never had the same issue with the other clears that I use now.

Steve

The paint was black petroleum 2x cover with either rustoleum 2x clear or krylon acrylic clear. I've had good results clearing with same combo before. Maybe I missed the within 1 hour or clear after 48 hours window. Oh well, it's all been stripped off now. It was just a weird surprise. Also, the paint didn't do that on the lower half of the vehicle.

I got a little bit done on the interior.  I still have to foil the console which should be fun since it has some interesting curves.  There is no painting weather in the foreseeable future, so the body will have to wait a bit longer.

20160324_231033.jpg

Edited by Samiches

The center console was a little quicker to foil than I thought.  I used a combonation of matte aluminium on the outside and ultra bright chrome on the inner parts of the metallic inlay on the console. I also had to trim a bit off of the shifter boot to get it to fit down into the proper place. 

Comments or suggestions are appreciated.  

20160325_222555.jpg

20160325_222625.jpg

20160325_223815.jpg

Thanks MRN, and Canso for the comments.

Samiches, what did you use on motor for the wiring? I am looking to detail my motor on second build. What's on the motor besides the 90 degree boots and wiring out of the box?

I used 30 awg wire for the engine. It can be found at radio shack (if they are still in business) or, I have seen it on eBay. Everything else is from the kit. I did thin some acrylic black paint with water and brushed over parts of the engine to pick up some detail.

Edited by Samiches

Thanks MRN, and Canso for the comments.

I used 30 awg wire for the engine. It can be found at radio shack (if they are still in business) or, I have seen it on eBay. Everything else is from the kit. I did thin some acrylic black paint with water and brushed over parts of the engine to pick up some detail.

thank you

Nice weather is on its way, so I should be able to repaint the Torino this week. I got the body all cleaned up and primed.  I found a few scratches after priming and quickly filled them in.  I'm almost rethinking the black paint job and going with red instead.  

20160330_184451.jpg

20160330_185455.jpg