Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Pontiac GTO Judge

Eloveless

So I recieved this kit in a 6 car deal. Just did inventory and all parts are here. Problem is he painted the hood, body, and bumper yellow. He had a mix of enemal and acrylic paint. How do I go about sanding this down without hurting the parts? I would just prime over it, but some parts are bubbled and has runs in the paint job. Any help would be great. 

image.jpg

don't sand it

strip it.

use either SuperClean or Isopropyl alcohol (91%) or higher, you can get it in bulk at Target. Just fill a large plastic container and fill it with whichever, both work, and let it soak. might take a couple hours, might take a week. depends on the paint and the age. Some like over cleaner or break fluid, I've never tried either, but the two I listed work. Also they'll strip chrome too.

hope this helps some

David

I have used SuperClean and oven cleaner. The SuperClean did not impress me the oven cleaner (Easy off) works OK.

My favorite number one go-to stripper is Testors  ELO. II removes automotive lacquer, enamel, acrylic even automotive two stage clear-coats.

shopping.jpg

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I have used SuperClean and oven cleaner. The SuperClean did not impress me the oven cleaner (Easy off) works OK.

My favorite number one go-to stripper is Testors  ELO. II removes automotive lacquer, enamel, acrylic even automotive two stage clear-coats.

shopping.jpg

where do you pick that up at? I've never seen that here in Canada.

I get my Testors  ELO from CRM Hobby my local hobby shop.

http://www.crmhobbies.com/   or e-mail them at crm@inlink.com

I also found another sources at Hobbylinc http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tesf542143.htm?source=froogle&gclid=CKP32pH24csCFYo2gQodZJoLHQ

Also, once you get item stripped you can pour the left over into a container and reuse it several times before it`s depleted. Hope this helps

My three "go to" stripers(no not the kind at the local bar) are Super clean engine degreaser, 91% isopropyl alcohol or break fluid.  One of these will always work.  An overnight soak is generally all that is needed.   

Edited by Pete J.
a

my experiences with elo has it can make plastic brittle. .so be warned. on the positive. .it does get any paint off......Chris 

x2. My 1969 Coronet stripped very well, but became full of little cracks. Once it was rinsed and dried, I ran Tamiya Thin cement over the cracks. So far, so good.

shopping.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread mate, hope you're making out ok with the GTO. As far as ELO goes, here in Canada I can have my LHS order it, for $18 a can, so I'd need about 4cans or more to make a bath big enough to cover a car, I'll stick with the IPA and SuperClean.

Sorry to hijack your thread mate, hope you're making out ok with the GTO. As far as ELO goes, here in Canada I can have my LHS order it, for $18 a can, so I'd need about 4cans or more to make a bath big enough to cover a car, I'll stick with the IPA and SuperClean.

this stuff is super strong!! In the small tub I use for stripping i only fill it so it's about an inch deep and keep brushing and rolling the body! I've stripped 3 cars with one can and btw I wouldn't recommend leaving a car soaking in it overnight! I left an old engine n it overnight and it made the plastic wicked soft

I suggest a product called Scalecoat II.  I've used it many times in the past and it does a great job of stripping paint.  It won't harm the plastic like some other products.

It should be available at your local hobby shop as it's a favourite amongst the model train folks.