Model Cars Magazine Forum

With the MPC Reissues , I Wonder If ...

Owing to the fact that Round2 is on a good run with the MPC reissues , I wonder if the 1973-1974 Charger Rallye is slated for reissue ? Correct me if I'm wrong , but didn't it make its last appearance in c.1983 in street machine livery ? Its stock tyres and wheels were in absentia , but it was otherwise "stock" ( never kind that horrible "limo tint" phase that MPC went through in the early-mid 80's ! ) .

5709c008ecefd_1974MPCcharger.thumb.jpg.9

Any Idea Whose Beautiful Work This One Is ?5709bfbe966a1_MPCsuper_charger.thumb.jpe

Stock_1974_charger.thumb.jpe.a3a11f7a43c

Then the tool will need further clean up, cuz IIRC there are some remains and omissions from backdating it from oval track to street machine.

You're right Luc.

The character lines around the wheel openings are now smoothed over and IIRC, the gas cap is no longer factory stock.

I think there's some other small things but I'm too lazy to go down stairs right now to compare my copy to the '74 annual I have. ;)

You're right Luc.

The character lines around the wheel openings are now smoothed over and IIRC, the gas cap is no longer factory stock.

I think there's some other small things but I'm too lazy to go down stairs right now to compare my copy to the '74 annual I have. ;)

I didn't know that the 1/25 scale 1973-1974 Charger was also "hacked" into a Stock Car type thing . I know about the 1/16 scale Charger (recently reissued as the 1978 iteration) .

Not sure if the nascar charger used the same body as the annuals or not

I thought we (Me & Brother) had the White Backer 11 "Dodge By Petty" at the

Same time as the 73 & 74 Annuals were being offered

I still have it and a few of the Petty versions too as well as the 73 Annual from then

Plus, we did get that Street Machine in the ??late 70's-Mid 80's??

Did the body have the street parts? (Script, side markers, etc)

Also, though Not perfect, we did get the 'Factory' 74 GTX/Road Runner re-issueed

And they did offer the 72 Annual Complete some years ago
I have an Unbuilt still waiting for attention

And YES I would Love to see the Annual back as last seen in 74.

Complete with Wagon option

My 73 needs the woody decals and Grill replaced!!!!!!

So the 74 would be perfect

Also, though Not perfect, we did get the 'Factory' 74 GTX/Road Runner re-issueed

And they did offer the 72 Annual Complete some years ago
I have an Unbuilt still waiting for attention

A '71 you mean, the box-art shows a yellow car with "superbird like" nose cone and giant rear wing.

Anyway in a prefect world I would like, for round-2 to; in part, reverse engineer and partly design new parts, an '72 RR, so it fits the underpinnings of the excellent 2000ish M&M designed '71 Charger kit.

As long as we're wishing MPC would bring a one of a kind kit back, how about the 1974 Pinto, it was a sedan body style with the deluxe side moldings and chrome window trim, and stainless wheel opening trim. I want another one (I have one already) to make a version of the '71 I had when I got married, it went through four different major rebuilds, and different versions of custom and stock paint (one of the perks of owning your own body shop). It's a pretty simple job to do, just use the front and rear lower valances and little bumpers from the earlier Runabout kits. And if you want to get really technical use the interior tub and seats from the 1971 Wonder Pony kit from AMT, this was the only sedan body AMT offered, but it had the plain Jane style body and bumpers. But did have the correct '71 interior, with the different tiny arm rests and the plain transmission tunnel without the catch all mini console under the dash in front of the shifter.

Edited by horsepower

A '71 you mean, the box-art shows a yellow car with "superbird like" nose cone and giant rear wing.

Anyway in a prefect world I would like, for round-2 to; in part, reverse engineer and partly design new parts, an '72 RR, so it fits the underpinnings of the excellent 2000ish M&M designed '71 Charger kit.

I wonder if something's been heavily modified or a significant portion this kit is missing. I can't find the image, but I think it was in the '96 issue of SAE containing the forthcoming releases, and within the article was a picture of a '72 Road Runner roundy-round (Grand American or whatever it was called) car in Petty Blue...but it never happened. 1987(!) was the last time the MPC '71 Plymouth Roadrunner was available, IIRC.

As for the "Super Charger" kit, I doubt it would be a hot for Round2. The '71 R/T has been reissued twice since 2009, and is far nicer is every respect, so maybe Round2 isn't willing to devote it resources to a kit which to the average buyer looks a lot like the '71 R/T?

I wonder if something's been heavily modified or a significant portion this kit is missing. I can't find the image, but I think it was in the '96 issue of SAE containing the forthcoming releases, and within the article was a picture of a '72 Road Runner roundy-round (Grand American or whatever it was called) car in Petty Blue...but it never happened. 1987(!) was the last time the MPC '71 Plymouth Roadrunner was available, IIRC.

As for the "Super Charger" kit, I doubt it would be a hot for Round2. The '71 R/T has been reissued twice since 2009, and is far nicer is every respect, so maybe Round2 isn't willing to devote it resources to a kit which to the average buyer looks a lot like the '71 R/T?

IMO,,,,our friends at RC2 would be better off taking the 71 Road Runner situation, and releasing the 72 Road runner annual again. I say this because between old MPC and REVELL  kits, we have enough 1971 action.  the 72 RR annual has always been a highly desired kit, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but other than the bumpers, grille insert, tail lights, and possibly seat pattern, everything else is identical to the 71 kits. if this could be released with lets say both the base, and air grabber hoods, all the custom and drag parts from 71-72, then throw in the new tires, maybe tinted glass, and an expanded decal sheet as we  always enjoy, they would have a winner here in the sales department, I would hope. just a thought, the Mopar guys would go crazy, and the rest of us who like it all would grab one or two, I think.....opinions here, Casey and all other members...the Ace.........;)

Pretty close there Ace.

The hood, side marker lights and rear pan is different too. Not sure on the sew patterns on the interior but I'll post a pic so someone can compare it to a '71. [BTW, I added clear headlight lenses to this one]

steve's pics 065

steve's pics 068

steve's pics 055

Pretty close there Ace.

The hood, side marker lights and rear pan is different too. Not sure on the sew patterns on the interior but I'll post a pic so someone can compare it to a '71. [BTW, I added clear headlight lenses to this one]

steve's pics 065

steve's pics 068

steve's pics 055

yes, the hood deal is why I mentioned including both base and air grabber hoods would be a nice touch. however, Steve, glad you pointed out the other differences here, never owning a 72 MPC annual, and not being that familiar with the actual 71-72 cars, I prefer 68-70 runners, owning a nice 68 back a million years ago. good that you brought these details to light, might be a deal breaker that RC2 would correct everything and release it now........best,,,the Ace....:D

Pretty close there Ace.

steve's pics 065

steve's pics 068

steve's pics 055

Great model Steve, my plan is,( if I ever find a usable build up, for the right amount of money) to build it with the elastomere bumper option, pro-mod and like yours it will be red.