Model Cars Magazine Forum

AAR cuda B5 rebuild

kymdlr

Originally built this kit some years back with some moderate experience. I decided it was time to strip it and start over instead of buying a new kit. First pic is the inspiration for the build, then the before pics, followed by where im at currently after I stripped the paint and re-painted. Still have a lot of things to do including polishing the body, applying decals & foil etc.

B5E9F272-D10B-43FC-A199-C504C9059970.png

5A7273B6-DE5B-40BF-9E0A-381E21D4B616_zps

91BC1340-5622-4E85-8373-915BFFF41626_zps

073C91DE-53B2-4026-AFD0-230351E0DC5A_zps

2B2D8EF3-2F5C-494E-903F-F122EB3C6146_zps

Edited by kymdlr

Got a few things taken care of. cut out the plastic that should have been a gap below the front bumper. Also will be using wide tires in the rear like the 1:1 so I made the wheels a bit deeper. Added plug wires to the motor and got rid of the one piece plastic pulley and fan belt. made a bracket for the alternator which I will be making a scratchbuilt belt for.

• 1 month later...

I'm real glad to see you're using stock wheels. I was Googling images for the '68 Dodge Charger a few days ago, and was stunned to see gobs of cars with big old ugly wheels on them. I was a bit shocked to see so many that were doctored up that way. It may seem a bit conservative, but I simply don't think the appearance of these old Mopars can be improved upon at all, wheels wise. Any change from stock only appears to me to be a detriment, not an improvement, but that's just my view.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just wondering as I have never done this before but how did you make the rims deeper,did you use a wheel sleeve like the one's that Pegasus hobbies has. I think you did a terrific job on the rims and I would like to try this one on an upcoming build. Also, love your build, looking awesome and keep up the great work.   Thank you.     Jeff 

I'm just wondering as I have never done this before but how did you make the rims deeper,did you use a wheel sleeve like the one's that Pegasus hobbies has. I think you did a terrific job on the rims and I would like to try this one on an upcoming build. Also, love your build, looking awesome and keep up the great work.   Thank you.     Jeff 

I took one of the original rallye wheels and cut the lip off of it. Then placed the lip on top of another rallye wheel. Essentially it was a homemade wheel sleeve. Thanks

I took one of the original rallye wheels and cut the lip off of it. Then placed the lip on top of another rallye wheel. Essentially it was a homemade wheel sleeve. Thanks

Ahh, I understand. What a great way to do this. Thank you for your help and I appreciate it. 

Jeff.