Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Ford Mustang GT

Metallic

Looks nice!

The paint is beautiful!

But I have to ask, if you're going to foil, why not foil everything that needs it?

The foil you did apply looks good.

I'm just curious as to why you foiled pieces like the hood trim, but not the rest of the grille surround.

Or the drip rails, but not the vent windows.

It would be an A-1 build with a little more foil.

Steve

Looks nice!

The paint is beautiful!

But I have to ask, if you're going to foil, why not foil everything that needs it?

The foil you did apply looks good.

I'm just curious as to why you foiled pieces like the hood trim, but not the rest of the grille surround.

Or the drip rails, but not the vent windows.

It would be an A-1 build with a little more foil.

Steve

You are right my friend, this was the first time with foil detail, I will work on that, thank you for your comments!!

You are right my friend, this was the first time with foil detail

Understandable.

Things like vent windows can be a real pain to do.

I personally hate doing them.

Nice thing is, it's never too late.

You can always come back & do them later.

Although they would be even more difficult to do. :)

But again, very nice work!

Steve

1968 Ford Mustang GT by Revell

This is my first time build with Bare-Metal Foil, not easy as it looks!

blog DSC04126.JPG

DSC04138.JPG

Blog DSC04142.JPG

Blog DSC04131.JPG

Blog DSC04123.JPG

...if that's your first Bare Metal job, its sure a good job. oh, the rest of that 'stang is just terrific, Jesus, great looking piece....the Ace...;)

That's some sharp paint work!  Would you mind telling us the mfr and PN if possible (i.e. Testors #1604)

Thank you

Sure I use Tamiya lacquers, after testing testors & Humbrol Paint, the Tamiya products gave me the best results.

First Tamiya Surface Primer, Then the color TS-86, then clear cote TS-13.

Then, sand it with sand paper 3000 (the first time is scary to do it),,, polish with automotive 3M polish, then automotive carnauba wax.

Is a long way, but you will like the results.

Here are some tutorials that I found on the internet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqcPjqC9UL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxZ6B_a97u8

Edited by Metallic

...if that's your first Bare Metal job, its sure a good job. oh, the rest of that 'stang is just terrific, Jesus, great looking piece....the Ace...;)

Thank you

Yes I used bare metal in the past, but only for a few details, not as this one, I will try to do the rest, to see what happens!

Jesus, using the foil is simply a matter of practice, practice, and more practice. I enjoy doing foil, but most guys say they don't . just give it a few more builds, and you'll be schooling the rest of us on how to apply it...lol....:D.....best, the Ace...........

Hi Jesus,

I built the 68 Mustang Fastback - one of the best looking classic Mustangs in my opinion - three years ago. I use Tamiya colors only and as far as I can remember, I used the red color You named, but without clear coat.

This is how mine came out:

68mustang01x7uwr.jpg

I agree that adding the BMF will improve detail.. or just paint in the side marker lights and the vent window.  BUT....  WOW, what a beautiful finish, and the engine is fantastic.  Great, great job.  I'm also going to try your paint process.  I've been using an entire polishing kit to polish out the paint, but once I start clearing, the polishing kit doesn't really do anything to smooth it out.  I'll try your way, as your finish is exactly what I'm after!!!

First time with BMF, very nice. You're right about it being a bear to work with sometimes, but with practice it will come. It is my least favorite part of any build. One thing l find that makes it a lot less painful is to scribe all of the moldings, drip rails etc, really well. That way, after its painted,  there is still a nice definate line to keep your knife on track. Also use a super sharpe blade.... Great looking Fast Back once again.

Hi Jesus,

I built the 68 Mustang Fastback - one of the best looking classic Mustangs in my opinion - three years ago. I use Tamiya colors only and as far as I can remember, I used the red color You named, but without clear coat.

This is how mine came out:

68mustang01x7uwr.jpg

Great looking build, I will add the rest of the details that some members suggest, You build is really clean