Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Dodge Charger; interior work

Roadrunner

Sorry, the computer I was using wasn't so I was having some technical difficulty. I emailed the pics to you cause I didn't want to steal your post.

I already like this guy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a dang thread hi-jacked by people with the "Me! Me! Me!" complex. I'd kind of like to see the car in question though. A PM maybe?

Cool. Your car looks great. I really like it.

Thanks, that was the first build I ever sanded and polished. Hope it helps you with your build in some way. As I said before your looks really good. I wouldn't worry too much about the imperfections. I think its show worthy.

I already like this guy. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a dang thread hi-jacked by people with the "Me! Me! Me!" complex. I'd kind of like to see the car in question though. A PM maybe?

It's very nice.

Thanks, that was the first build I ever sanded and polished. Hope it helps you with your build in some way. As I said before your looks really good. I wouldn't worry too much about the imperfections. I think its show worthy.

Thanks a bunch, that means a lot to me.

nice ! looks great from here and  if its any consolation just look at real musscle cars , most are far from perfect irl so ....:)

That's certainly true enough. I realize a lot of car models are overdone in that respect, but it seems to be something that many (myself included) shoot for, regardless.

I'm curious where the Charger emblem on the side of your roof came from. My kit certainly doesn't contain anything like that. Did you use some AM photo etch or something?

OK, the issues with orange peel are slowly being worked out. Here you can see that I've polished the heck out of the fender tops, but the hood still looks pretty grim. I think, just for the novelty of it, that I'm going to just paint the hood a semi gloss black and be done with it.

68%20fen%20008_zpsg9wchvtp.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

This is looking great. Nice work on the paint.

I understand your frustration on the paint job. I have been trying to finish my 41 Willys and every time I turn around I am having to repaint. I had to repaint the body once (not including touch ups) after I took it to a local show to display on the "in progress" table. The clear coat had a reaction to the terrycloth towel I wrapped the body in. I have had to repaint the hood 5 times now. I dropped it once right after painting, I had a crack show up during the polishing stage from the blower hole I filled.  I am on my fourth can of Tamiya spray paint and it is getting empty. I'll need to buy another to get the hood finished. At almost $8. a can that will be $40 to paint this thing! I feel your pain. Keep after it. It's looking good.

Later- 

The finish is looking great.  If you already have a recovery plane with the black I would be inclined  to keep at the hood until you got rid of the orange peel or you burned through. 

Edited by Rider

Thanks, fellas. Jim, I liked the semi gloss black contrast against the body color so much on a '69 GTX I'm also working on, is where the idea came from. I'm also thinking the yellow turn signals will show up better against the black. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do.

Tom, I think I'm a bit too obsessive about all this for my own good.

Nice work Kevin! Kinda disappointed that you went curbside, I would've LOVED to see what you could do to that 440! None the less, it's still a beautiful model, and out of all the Mopars, the Charger is my favorite!

I understand totally, Brandon, but opening the hood just invites a ton of work, none of which I'm prepared to tackle at the moment. After I get a few finished projects under my belt (and on the shelves), I'll then probably consider an exposed engine, perhaps on a roadster, phaeton or coupe.

I lucked out and found some paint here that seemed to be a good match for the interior color I desire, so here's the back seat all painted up. There's some crud in the seat, so after cleaning that up, I'll respray, then semi gloss it. I also painted the dash, front seats and door panels, but seats still need some additional work that didn't show until after painting.