Model Cars Magazine Forum

'68 Dodge Charger; interior work

Roadrunner

Thanks, fellas. It seems that no matter what I do, wet sanding with fresh clear water, clean polishing cloths, etc., I'm still getting tiny surface scratches, and I just can't figure out for the life of me why.

I would mix in some dish soap to the water. This will help by lubricating the sand paper and surface so the paper won't dig into the paint.

Lemme know how that turns out Kevin. I seem to have the same issues with my finishes.

Tried it yesterday, and it did seem to help somewhat, Joe.

Beautiful color Kevin. I think the finish looked really good...

Thanks a bunch, Carl, I like it too.

Edited by Roadrunner

I'm seriously disappointed; I've gone and wet sanded right through the paint on the scallop edges on the driver door. My experience so far with using this canned paint to do airbrush touch ups, has not been good, so I have no reason to assume this attempt will work out any better. 

One mystery solved at least. On both my '69 GTX and this car, I've ended up with chipped paint on the left side rear window vicinity. Yesterday I discovered that when I'm using my left hand to stabilize the car during wet sanding and polishing the driver side, my thumbnail is digging into the paint. On the GTX, the BMF covered it, but on this car, it actually happened to the body itself, and fixing it is going to be very difficult, if not impossible, without showing as an ugly patch. This is so annoying, and I'm beginning to seriously doubt that I'll ever be able to get a car finished that I can take to a show and be proud of.

This idea is not original with me, rather a tip I picked up along the way. Wear a white cotton glove when handling a painted body. It makes a huge difference!

I already bought some, Hugh, just wasn't wearing them at the time. Live and learn, eh? I also have a nasty habit of wet sanding a little, then polishing a little, and I now believe this is also causing problems, as I'm handling the same areas way too frequently. I think maybe I should just wet sand the whole thing, polish it, then leave it the heck alone as much as possible. I'd be interested in how others deal with this aspect of the paint finish.

I already bought some, Hugh, just wasn't wearing them at the time. Live and learn, eh? I also have a nasty habit of wet sanding a little, then polishing a little, and I now believe this is also causing problems, as I'm handling the same areas way too frequently. I think maybe I should just wet sand the whole thing, polish it, then leave it the heck alone as much as possible. I'd be interested in how others deal with this aspect of the paint finish.

Kevin, something i do when handling a paint finish is i put Tamiya masking tape on the area saves finger prints and finger nail scratches.  Works better the gloves...

I know its probably not what you want, but spray some paint into a container(small) and after you've foiled and pretty much finished touch it up like a stone chip on your car..It will more than likely be visible but the chrome and if its a good build it will make it much less noticable..By the looks of the pictures it will be a real nice build that you can be proud of..Who knows?, only you know and nobody weill be picking it up and studying it..Touch it up and enjoy...

You can always do what the factory did on blemished roofs : add a vinyl top ! 

Seriously though , that sucks ! I managed to "burn-through" the finish on the AMT 1969 Chevelle convertible I'm building .granted , the burn will be unrecognisable when I'm finished,  but I am frustrated nevertheless .

Don't give up on that gorgeous Charger! 

Edited by 1972coronet

Wet sanded and polished some more today. I'm almost through with this phase now (excluding the needed touch-ups), so perhaps I can now get busy on wheels and interior. Far from perfect I realize (I can be very harsh with my own work), but not too bad really, I think.

gloss%205_zpszxssxwvb.jpg

gloss%205%204_zpsywnsx0jq.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Whadda shine! I dare you to put this in a show when you're done. Matter of fact I double dare you.

Is that a regular double dare, or a double dog dare?

You aint gotta hair on.......:blink:......if you don't . lol. Go for it Kevin. This is a super lookin' build so far man.

Thanks, Buddy, I'm glad you're liking it. I think it has potential, if I can just finish it.