Model Cars Magazine Forum

Announced - '09 Nissan GT-R

larrygre

Will this be the only Automotive subject from Tamiya this year?

I read somewhere they were scaling back on auto kits.

Can anyone enlightin me as to whats up with Tamiya?

Thanks

Ron

since about 2005 they've only released 1 new kit a year. and 1-2 reissues. they just reissued the Lamborghini LP500, as well as the retooled Nismo 350Z. They haven't been around too much recently. but there still around. They are putting a lot of money in the RC business right now

• 3 weeks later...

The Tamiya kit looks good. the fact that its full detail is nice. but its going to be a pita the paint that engine. I like the LHD and RHD dash choiced. I'm gonna wait till I see what the Aoshima and Fujimi kits look like when I make my decision on what kit to get. but i'm deffinently getting a GTR kit

I pre-ordered the Aoshima premium kit as well as the Tamiya kit with p.e.. I decided against the Fujimi version. I'll stick to their awesome Ferrari's though.

I'm really curious as to why they decided on two part wheels? Same goes for the one piece engine insert. That should be real fun to paint! All in all though it looks to be a nice kit from Tamiya, although the price in my opinion doesn't reflect what you get in the box, of course I am judging this off of what I have seen so far. I probably should wait and give it a fair shake.

I'm banking on the Aoshima kit to be curbside. They usually get the body spot on as far as outer appearances go. That and the wheels will be really nice I bet.

Chris

Chris, Thats what I'm hoping too with the aoshima version...same with the Nismo Z (not saying tamiya's isn't accurate, i just want something different, plus 10 bucks difference in price on the gtr makes it for me) I'm also betting the aoshima version will be easy to lower(come on, you know I ain't building my first gtr kit stock) and it will eventually spawn a different tuner versions as more come about in the real world.

Speaking of Ferrari's, I saw photos of the Fujimi Scuderia..man that looks nice!!

Gray

Re Tamiya new GT-R

Um...I know this is going to sound very negative.....but why.....why cast the engine bay/motor (top only) as 1 piece....??

That's just nuts...... :blink: ....(This is my personal opinion only....)

I mean, why bother at all......leave it as a curbside if you can't be bothered adding ALL the details...... ;) ..

I guess it's no big deal to a lot of builders, but I'm not a curbside kinda guy..... ;)

Tamiya have gone as far as I'm concerned......sorry guys.....

Thanks for the link Antonio, least it saves me buying one to find this out....and saving over 50-60 AUS $.....

(Flame suit on..... :D )

• 4 weeks later...

Got the GT-R kit in last week. Molding is typical Tamiya with everything being quite crisp, and true to pictures I could find. I'm not really up on this car, but it sure falls into the super car class.

Body is molded with separate front bumper, and opening hood. The engine is molded into the open bay, and appears to be very well engraved, with sharp details for painting, and a few add on parts to give it depth.

Interior is good, with both left, and right hand drive dashes. Door panels are molded separately, as are the seats. The kit also has left, and right cowl area, with optional wipers.

Chassis is nicely done as well, both front and rear suspensions build from several pieces.

The lights may be the highlight of the kit, and I'm sure they will bring the kit to life.

Window mask is supplied to mask off the window trim

My only real beef with the kit, it they keep showing you how to use the photoetch in the instructions, but it's not in the kit. It will be available shortly from Tamiya as aftermarket. You'll need to get the etched parts as they add detail that would normally be engraved in the kit, like disk brake surface. Tamiya does give you rub down badging for the car, as well as the mirror faces.

I really like the kit, but it may be priced a little high for a kit without separate motor.

I go into more, but we got a big storm near by, need to get off of here. Try for pictures later.

• 1 month later...

Randy, the kit is seriously overpriced, separate motor or not. The Fujimi and Aoshima kits are equally as good and in some cases, IMO, better in the details, but Tamiya is the only option if you want to do a US or Canadian-spec GT-R as it is the only kit offering left hand drive as an option.

I had to get mine mail order from China at a total cost of around $40 with shipping. The LHSs in my area have the kit for $60-70. The photoetch is $14-20 depending on where you shop for them.

One word: OUCH!!!!!!!!

Edited by larrygre

all the LHS around me have them, they all want $60 bucks for it. I would think Fujimi or Aoshima would everntually release a LHD version (they usually do). so i'm gonna wait for there versions, and pass on the Tamiya

Randy, the kit is seriously overpriced, separate motor or not. The Fujimi and Aoshima kits are equally as good and in some cases, IMO, better in the details, but Tamiya is the only option if you want to do a US or Canadian-spec GT-R as it is the only kit offering left hand drive as an option.

I had to get mine mail order from China at a total cost of around $40 with shipping. The LHSs in my area have the kit for $60-70. The photoetch is $14-20 depending on where you shop for them.

One word: OUCH!!!!!!!!

No $#!+. I'll always love Tamiya 'n all - but while Fujimi's also omitting some engraved detail lately to sell you separate photoetch, at least they have the grace not to charge sixty bucks just to remind you what you're missing in the instruction sheet.

Sheesh.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

No $#!+. I'll always love Tamiya 'n all - but while Fujimi's also omitting some engraved detail to sell you photoetch separately, at least they have the grace not to charge sixty bucks just to remind you what you're missing in the instruction sheet.

Sheesh.

Tamiya just had a 15% price increase across the board. Their GTR MSRP is $66, the P/E set is $18.50, so full MSRP is a staggering $84.50. Suddenly $19 Revell kits seem like a dream come true.

It's a really nice kit...but Fujimi's will retail for $47.95 in the US; if Fujimi does a separate P/E set, it may end up being close to $40 US if recent Fujimi P/E sets are any indication (2400 yen). Fujimi's doesn't have the engine insert, but it does have chassis/driveline detail missing on Tamiya's. The parts count may very well be higher on the Fujimi kit. MRC is now the Aoshima importer to the US. As usual with any brand that's represented by MRC, prices have skyrocketed. MRC's Aoshima GT-R pricetag is $55.98. I thought Tamiya's curbside NISMO Z car was insane at $45; it's now $52 after the price increase. Aoshima's version is $54.98 :lol:

Thankfully most in-the-know modelers buy direct from Japan or elsewhere in Asia and save a ton of $ on this type of kit. It's no wonder the LHS's can't compete w/imported stuff from the mail order companies.