Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trivia and/or Brain Teasers

I tend to like like trivia and brain teasers. And here are some a co-worker shared with me.

The first deals with numbers and is a quiz. And they gave the following example to help you get the idea of what they're looking for: What is the smallest number spelled with six letters? Answer: Eleven.

So here we go.

1. Which four numbers have the shortest names?

2. What number is first alphabetically?

3. What number has the same number of letters as the number itself?

4. What is the one number using only letters from the second half of the alphabet?

5. What is the lowest number that contains the letter "a"?

6. What number can be spelled out using only one row on a typewriter keyboard?

7. What is the longest English word that is a valid Roman numeral?

8. What is the smallest number containing eight letters?

9. What number has all of its letters in alphabetical order?

Great questions. And all I found very hard. Below are the answers. How many did you get right?

1. One, two, six and ten.

2. Eight

3. Four

4. Two

5. One thousand

6. Two

7. MIX

8. Thirteen

9. Forty

Edited by unclescott58

CARD FACTS

On a deck of card, the king of spades represents David, King of Israel; Clubs represent Alexander the Great, King of Macedonia; Hearts is Charlemagne, King of France; and Diamonds is Caesar Augustus, Emperor of Rome.

The symbols on a deck of cards were invented to represent the four classes of men: hearts represented the clergy; spades for warriors; clubs were originally leaves and represented the peasants; and merchants were represented by diamonds. This design was invented around 1392.

The word spades comes from the Spanish word for sword, "espada."

Clover comes from the Anglo-Saxon word "cloefer" meaning club. Hercules had a club which had three heads, and the clover plant has bracts of three leaves. The club on decks of cards come from the clover plant.

In card games, sometimes a marker or Buck is placed in front of the person who is to deal the next game. Every time the deal passes, players also "pass the buck."

Edited by unclescott58

Just don't ask any recent high-school graduates to make change from a dollar. ;)

Yeah! You should see the expression on the face of a teenage cashier when the total is something like $4.48 and I give them $5.03 (or even better, $5.53)!  They look at me like I have three heads (and I only have two). :D

Just don't ask any recent high-school graduates to make change from a dollar. ;)

The young girl who took my money at Walmart last week actually counted my change back to me, the way they used to teach everyone to do it in about the fourth or fifth grade. I literally cannot remember the last time that happened. Probably not in this century. You could have knocked me over.

The young girl who took my money at Walmart last week actually counted my change back to me, the way they used to teach everyone to do it in about the fourth or fifth grade. I literally cannot remember the last time that happened. Probably not in this century. You could have knocked me over.

Same thing happened to me at Barnes and Noble on Monday afternoon.

But she was not American. Interesting accent, maybe Brazilian Portuguese.  B)

Dali_fact.thumb.jpg.22e5d3bc0d3c667cb7cf

:)

The dream state is not achieved immediately upon falling asleep, but in the R.E.M. stage, which typically comes in the latter part of the sleep cycle, usually just before waking

The dream state is not achieved immediately upon falling asleep, but in the R.E.M. stage, which typically comes in the latter part of the sleep cycle, usually just before waking

Despite that, it apparently worked well for Salvador Dali. If the story is true. I've seen his paintings.

Edited by unclescott58

I know this is the accepted wisdom, but there may be brains that work a little differently.

I have had, on occasion, quite vivid and memorable dreams while only dozing for a few moments, and thought to myself at the time "how can this be? I can't possibly be in the defined 'REM' sleep mode yet".  ;)

Despite that, it apparently worked well for Salvador Dali. If the story is true. I've seen him paintings.

Here's on of my favorite Dali paintings, it's called Raphaelesque Head Exploding......

Another Dali bit of trivia.... He used to baptise his paintings in a lake in Spain where he lived...........

DALI_painting.thumb.jpg.b11539c17d642fca

Good old "What's My Line." One of my favorite older TV shows. The mystery guest segment was always the best part of the show in my opinion. And a good showcase to give you some idea of the personality of Salvador Dali. A very interesting man.

Edited by unclescott58

- Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.

- Coca-Cola was originally green.

- It is impossible to lick your elbow.

- The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work: Alaska.

- The percentage of Africa that wilderness: 28% (now get this...) The percentage of North America that is wilderness: 38%

- The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $16,400

- The average number of people airborne over the U.S. in any given hour: 61,000

- Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

- The first novel ever written on a typewriter, Tom Sawyer.

- The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.

- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

- If the statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died because of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

- Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, John Hancock and Charles Thomas. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.

- Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what? Their birthplace

- Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the most popular boat name requested? Obsession

- Q. If you spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter 'A? One thousand

- Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printer have in common? All were invented by women.

- Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil? Honey

- Q. Which day of the year, are more collect calls made than any other day of the year? Father's Day

- In Shakespere's time, mattress were secured on the bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes, the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase... 'Goodnight, sleep tight'

- It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his new son-in-law with all of the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.

- In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would tell them 'Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down.' It's where we get the phrase 'mind your P's and Q's'

- Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. 'Wet your whistle' is the phase inspired by this practice.

I don't drink alcoholic beverages, yet I found the following interesting.

Scotch 101

Eight things to know before ordering whisky.

1. All scotch comes from Scotland, contains malted barley, and must be aged for at least three years in an oak barrel. Also, the Scots drop the "e" in whisky.

2. Order it "neat" (no ice) or "on the rocks." If you order it neat, add a few drops of water to open up its aromas and flavors. Now your becoming an experienced scotch drinker.

3. Scotch should come in one of two glasses: a rocks glass or a whisky glass, which is smaller, tulip-shaped and designed for neat pours. Accept no substitutes.

4. Two of the main categories are single malts and blended whiskys. Single malts are usually priced higher, but that doesn't men they're better.

5. Scotch distilleries are divided into five regions, and each area has distinct flavors. Remember these two: Speyside (sweet, mellow, fruity) and Islay (bold, peaty, smoky).

6. Do not "shoot" scotch and chase with a beer. It's meant to be sipped and savored. That being said, there are times when quickly downing a scotch is more than appropriate (wedding day, for example)

7. The age statement on the bottle reflects the minimum time it stayed in an oak barrel before bottling. Older scotches (12 to 25 years) tend to be more expensive because the casks have more time to infuse flavor.

8. It's OK to get a good whiff before you drink. But don't describe the the smell unless asked. Caution: Many whiskys aren't made with pleated malt, so don't say "it's peaty" just because it smells smoky.

"We borrowed golf from Scotland as we borrowed whisky.

Not because it is Scottish, but because it is good"

Edited by unclescott58

3. Scotch should come in one of two glasses: a rocks glass or a whisky glass, which is smaller, tulip-shaped and designed for neat pours. Accept no substitutes.

A cup made of Scottish highland cattle horn is the best

HornCup1.thumb.JPG.badb2fba699e1029e12fe

• 1 month later...

A little trivia about the "Soldier on a Horse" statue that graces many a town square or park......

If the horse has both front feet up in the air, the soldier died in battle.

If the horse has only one front foot in the air, the soldier died from wounds acquired in battle.

If the horse has all four feet planted, the soldier was in the battle, but died of natural causes.................

Subject: MNEMONICS

The general category is given. For what is the mnemonic a memory device? (eg., Geography: Never eat soggy waffles. Answer: Directions clock-wise: North, East, South, West.)

Freshman level

1. Music: Every good boy deserves fun.

2. Geography: HOMES.

3. Geography: We just love Rushmore.

Graduate level

4. Science: Roy G. Biv.

5. Geography: Always eat an apple, says a nurse.

6. Astronomy: Mary's "virgin" explanation made Joseph suspect upstairs neighbor.

Ph.D. level

7. Art: The fat cat sings songs very loudly.

8. Biology: Do kings play chess on fat green stools?

9. History: All barons should carry heavy parcels.

Answers

1. Five lines of the treble clef: EGBDF (bottom to top).

2. Great Lakes (arbitrary order).

3. Mount Rushmore presidents (left to right): Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt.

4. Sequence of rainbow colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.

5. Continents: Asia, Europe, Australia, Affrica, South America, Antartica, North America.

6. Order of planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.

7. Elements of art: texture, form, color, shape, space, value, line.

8. Order of taxonomy: domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species.

9. Wives of Henry VIII: Aragon, Boleye, Seymore, Cleves, Howard, Parr.

Edited by unclescott58