Model Cars Magazine Forum

The many faces of Revell's Tee Bucket (Tweedy Pie)

I started building this kit with the intentions of putting in the original flat head. Failed to test fit and discovered after painting the body and frame that the engine was longer than the one in the kit. Learned a lesson that day. It went back in the box where it sits today (since the early eighties) . Maybe I will revisit it in the future.

Don't forget the Revell Custom Parts Pack T bucket body, it's the same one in all of the kits show, right down to the opening passenger door.

I'm not sure about that. Somewhere around here I have a Rev Parts Pack T body I painted as a kid, and I don't remember having to glue the door in place, though I do believe it was maybe scribed for easy cut-out if you wanted to.

Also, the Tweety body is notched at the lower front corners to fit over the kit frame, and I don't think the Parts Pack body is.

But others might have better memories than mine. Mark? Tim Boyd?

The two Revell Custom Car Parts T Bodies that I have are exactly like the Tweedy Pie's body in my stash.  Notching I would have to check, they are molded in battleship gray, I'm 99% sure it is the same body, even the truck bed is the same.

Edited by Skip

This car almost became the Kookie car on 77 Sunset Strip, but the original owner wouldn't let anyone else drive the car. So they went to Norm Grabowski and used his car instead.

I didn't know that. Thanks Neil. Learn'in sumpin' here all the time. :P

One of the very first issues of Model Car Science I ever read--late '66 or early '67--had an article on building a short-wheelbase "kooky T" from the Monogram Little T. I'd never seen 77 Sunset Strip (still haven't, to this day) and had no idea what the author was talking about. I think the builder might have been Don Emmons.

The Tweedy Pie body is slightly different from the Parts Pack body in that it has a couple of notches at the back, to fit the frame in that kit.  It also has notches at the front.  The TP interior bucket fits the Parts Pack body pretty well.  Both bodies have the passenger/curb side door molded separately.

The Tweedy Pie body is slightly different from the Parts Pack body in that it has a couple of notches at the back, to fit the frame in that kit.  It also has notches at the front.  The TP interior bucket fits the Parts Pack body pretty well.  Both bodies have the passenger/curb side door molded separately.

Huh. I must have glued mine in place so long ago I don't even remember doing it. B)

Same as a 1:1 Model T Ford steel body. Anyone know why ? Why the driver's side door didn't open ?  :huh:

The hand brake lever was in the way.  That, and most people entered and exited the car from the curb side in those days.  A lot of cars didn't have locking outer handles on the drivers' side until much later.

One of the very first issues of Model Car Science I ever read--late '66 or early '67--had an article on building a short-wheelbase "kooky T" from the Monogram Little T. I'd never seen 77 Sunset Strip (still haven't, to this day) and had no idea what the author was talking about. I think the builder might have been Don Emmons.

The Tweedy pie was built by Bob Johnston and the Kookie Kar was built by Norm Grabowski . Norm actually did some of the driving in the TV series 

more on the Kookie Kar : http://www.hotrod.com/features/history/articles/0112sr-norm-grabowski-kookie-kar/

The Tweedy pie was built by Bob Johnston and the Kookie Kar was built by Norm Grabowski . Norm actually did some of the driving in the TV series 

more on the Kookie Kar : http://www.hotrod.com/features/history/articles/0112sr-norm-grabowski-kookie-kar/

I meant the builder of the model in the Model Car Science magazine I referenced.