Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about SPEED

I have a question about the NASCAR...errrr I mean SPEED channel. I have missed so many good races thanks to SPEED. Maybe they aired them but I'm not waking up or staying up at 3:00 am to watch. But, how come Speed doesn't do the 24 hours bike race at Le Mans with is one of my favorites, any Le Mans series race other than the 24, WRC :angry: , and even some Rolex series, and some drag racing! :blink: supposedly they are airing the VIR race this upcoming Saturday, WHYS THAT? :huh:

Today, they had the AMA sportbike races on, Fontana, and that was good but is it all NASCAR? that's pitiful. I mean I am thankful it is called SPEED, even though I heard the creator of the channel isn't happy with the way it is being run so might buy it back and call it Speedvison. :) I totally agree and a better name.

I just really don't feel like looking on YouTube for videos of the many series races that I missed becasue SPEED didn't show them. I mean ESPN is for sports and they show sports and they even show a good bit of races. Speedvison was made to show motorsports, ummmm yeah, all I see is NASCAR and stupid shows (PINKS, Unique Whips, etc.) not other motorsports. I like SOME of the shows, like Name that pass, but most are not neccesary. :(

WHYY????? Oh the humanity!!! :lol:

Edited by Nick F40

You're preaching to the choir, brother :angry:

I about gave up when they dropped WRC coverage. Today's F1 race...if you missed it this morning, it won't be replayed. Boring as it was :(

Speed used to have all sorts of cool shows. Now it's mainly ######. None of their "reality" shows is worth watching. I don't follow NASCAR. So 95% of what they air, I could care less about. I hope that the originator of Speedvision does start a new network to bring back the auto coverage that was Speedvision. Speed Channel is horrible.

I'm with Bob here. Although I did enjoy watching the F1 race this morning.

I think they could drop all of the Pinks, Unique Whips, Pass Time, Drag Race High, Livin' the low life and Supercars.

They then could fill those holes with all the racing that goes on in this tiny world of ours.

They need to bring back Friday Night Drive In as well.

Chris

Yeah, I watched qualifying and the race but dang, it was. Ferrari took the win though. :angry:

the WRC thing is what gets on my nerves, that sport probably has the most diversity and everybody is going towards diversity nowadays soooo why isn't SPEED doing it? :):(

I did hear that he wants to create a new channel maybe called Speedvison again but get away from Fox, so no NASCAR shows or at least 36 of them.

I think Dave Despains rant from a few years ago pretty much tells why

lets face it, NASCAR gets ratings. and they'll show what gets the ratings. I do enjoy watching the SCCA runoffs though. and the occasional F1 race. I am a NASCAR fan and I prefer NASCAR so I don't see anything wrong :(

Yep, preachin to the chior...

Speedvision was awesome. Cars, planes, boats, bikes, didn't matter, they covered it. The 30min magazine shows were actually interesting. No reality ######. No nascar to speak of. RIP Speedvision :(

Yup, that's why I loved it, RIP Speedvision, at least for now. They covered everything and NASCAR was on FOX or TNT and highlights on Speed but now it took over. I don't care about what carpet Tony Stewart has in his house or what Dale Jr. has in his backyard, I want MOTORSPORTS!! :angry:

No reality ######

30 min. mag shows, Friday Night Drive In, and MOTORSPORTS 24/7! :)

The same with The Nashville Network. They used to have neat shows all car related on the weekends. They changed it to Spike and it's all truck stuff. They used to show My Classic Car, but that went somewhere else. When Speed quit showing the different racing and went to mostly Nascar, I quit subscribing to the sports package it was in which cost me extra.

THIS IS WHAT I WAS DOING COMING HOME YESTERDAY FROM THE CACTUS CLASSIC IN PHX , AZ.. 365 MILE'S 2 STOP'S IN UNDER 4 1/4 HRS. :angry:

PHXCACTUSCLASSIC021.jpg

DAMMM.jpg

OH YOU MENT THE SPEED CHANNEL :(

Edited by MR BIGGS

My two cents.

I couldn't care less about some NBA player getting a 4000 amp woofer system installed in his Hummer. I don't care if contestant "A", "B", or "C" can guess the time that some bracket racer can get through the traps. I'm not interested in how many "lengths" a guy gets on Pinks.

However, I love dirt track racing, did some in my youth. Don't care if it is bikes, midgets, modified, or late model stocks. If it's on dirt and they only turn left, I'm watching.

Speed channel has a bunch of these events so I'll continue watching. The other junk, I just change channels.

What you have to understand about SPEED is that they are owned by NASCAR. As for the WRC, they were asking too much for the rights for the broadcast. The only reason you see F1 is that there are more fans of F1 than NASCAR. And even that looks like they might even stop showing F1. The funny thing, though, is that NASCAR is losing popularity. Over the past several years it has steadily dropped in the the TV ratings. There was a rumor, though, that the person who used to own SPEED was going to start another TV station that was just going to show all other motor sports including Vintage racing and no NASCAR. That was a couple of years ago.

The only thing you can really do is keep writing to SPEED and complain about the lack of coverage of other motor sports.

What you have to understand about SPEED is that they are owned by NASCAR. As for the WRC, they were asking too much for the rights for the broadcast. The only reason you see F1 is that there are more fans of F1 than NASCAR. And even that looks like they might even stop showing F1. The funny thing, though, is that NASCAR is losing popularity. Over the past several years it has steadily dropped in the the TV ratings. There was a rumor, though, that the person who used to own SPEED was going to start another TV station that was just going to show all other motor sports including Vintage racing and no NASCAR. That was a couple of years ago.

The only thing you can really do is keep writing to SPEED and complain about the lack of coverage of other motor sports.

NASCAR does'nt own SPEED, FOX television does. NASCAR ratings are up so far this year. (IIRC up around 5-6% from last year, attendence at the track is down, but $4.00 a gallon for gas is the blame for that), I would like to see more of a mix. PINKS is a terrible show. but its one of there highest rated.

Not surprised that Speed goes after ratings.

Not surprising either is that the "best" shows are never the ones that have the highest ratings. Going after high ratings is generally catering to the lowest common denominator. Good shows that become popular generally aren't as good when they start catering to the big crowds and the advertisers.

I want Speedvision back!

THIS IS WHAT I WAS DOING COMING HOME YESTERDAY FROM THE CACTUS CLASSIC IN PHX , AZ.. 365 MILE'S 2 STOP'S IN UNDER 4 1/4 HRS. :lol:

PHXCACTUSCLASSIC021.jpg

DAMMM.jpg

OH YOU MENT THE SPEED CHANNEL :o

:blink::lol::lol: nice

I just want Speedvison back, the thing is motorsports isn't abour "ratings" though if you think about it. :blink: I don't have a love for cars and racing jsut becasue of ratings. :lol:

There is a good reason for all the reality shows on Speed, like Pinks, Lowrider, Unique Whip... Personally I think that they are drivel at best, but here is the reality of the reality shows.

1. And most important. They are ultra cheap to produce, compared to "drama" or events. Cheap, cheap, cheap!

2. For some stupid reason the GP watches this junk, which only suggests that put something on the boob tube and some boob will watch it.

3. Too, few good writers, and tons of horrible ones. Furthermore, if you are over 40ish you supposedly don't know what is hot, hip, or cool.

4. Mostly young punks running these cable shows who think they know everything but wouldn't know a good show if it bit them on the arse.

5. The target at large is the GP with about a 6th education mentality who is under 25. Why? Because like most “mousekateers†oh I mean marketeerers, same difference, think there the ones with all the disposable income, the trend setters, the shakers and the movers of the world - the biggest slice of the pie.

It may not be truth, but it's perception. And, like they say perception is reality.... morons.

There is a good reason for all the reality shows on Speed, like Pinks, Lowrider, Unique Whip... Personally I think that they are drivel at best, but here is the reality of the reality shows.

1. And most important. They are ultra cheap to produce, compared to "drama" or events. Cheap, cheap, cheap!

2. For some stupid reason the GP watches this junk, which only suggests that put something on the boob tube and some boob will watch it.

3. Too, few good writers, and tons of horrible ones. Furthermore, if you are over 40ish you supposedly don't know what is hot, hip, or cool.

4. Mostly young punks running these cable shows who think they know everything but wouldn't know a good show if it bit them on the arse.

5. The target at large is the GP with about a 6th education mentality who is under 25. Why? Because like most “mousekateers†oh I mean marketeerers, same difference, think there the ones with all the disposable income, the trend setters, the shakers and the movers of the world - the biggest slice of the pie.

It may not be truth, but it's perception. And, like they say perception is reality.... morons.

nailed it there! :blink:

A while back when they resurected the Lost Drive-In movie nights, I emailed them to thank them. It wasn't quite the same without Bruce Dern's rambling and sometimes creepy wrap-arounds, but at least I had an excuse to watch Bullit again. Then it was gone. ######.

In my email, I also said while they were bringing back things that worked, let's have the old Psycho Cop ads back again! I loved those! Anybody else remember Psycho Cop? I love the one where he pulls over the Corvette driver and almost shoots him for having duct tape on his seat covers. Har!

Hey guys, I had to add my two cents to this one. Although NASCAR is a MAINSTREAM moneymaker, I thought niche market networks, were just that, for a target audience, hence a niche. When Fox bought Speedvision, I knew this was going to happen. They want to get as much exposure for their large investment in broadcasting NASCAR. I used to like NASCAR. Now I feel like it is rammed down my throat, and I am not afforded the opportunity to watch the motorsports I like best, ie F1, sportscars of any kind, vintage racing, and programs like that. Remember stuff like "Lap of the gods", and "Victory by Design"? Some of the shows do show craftmanship, so I think that is acceptable, ie Low Life, and no, I am not a lowrider guy, but I can appreciate the talent for the paint! Unique Whips is just a rent a tire for the rich. Stupid! Ooh, I can change a tire, can I get a program?

Oh, I miss Speedvision. It was my only escape from the jerkwater of the motorsports world that San Antonio is. So, as a rebel, I am boycotting NASCAR, till they allow some other racing in the USA. Just my view.

Later,

Greg

Hey guys, I had to add my two cents to this one. Although NASCAR is a MAINSTREAM moneymaker, I thought niche market networks, were just that, for a target audience, hence a niche. When Fox bought Speedvision, I knew this was going to happen. They want to get as much exposure for their large investment in broadcasting NASCAR. I used to like NASCAR. Now I feel like it is rammed down my throat, and I am not afforded the opportunity to watch the motorsports I like best, ie F1, sportscars of any kind, vintage racing, and programs like that. Remember stuff like "Lap of the gods", and "Victory by Design"? Some of the shows do show craftmanship, so I think that is acceptable, ie Low Life, and no, I am not a lowrider guy, but I can appreciate the talent for the paint! Unique Whips is just a rent a tire for the rich. Stupid! Ooh, I can change a tire, can I get a program?

Oh, I miss Speedvision. It was my only escape from the jerkwater of the motorsports world that San Antonio is. So, as a rebel, I am boycotting NASCAR, till they allow some other racing in the USA. Just my view.

Later,

Greg

EXACTLY my view Greg, thanks! :lol:

I understand and agree. If you have a niche network take over, don't call it SPEED and not have any other racing on, create another channel for us real racing guys too. ;)

Edited by Nick F40

Monster Mutt!!! ;) I don't mind that Pass Time, but what happened to Victory by Design, a WONDERFUL show and a fabulous resource and Fifth gear :lol:

Don't get me started on Pinks, the cars are decent but that length ###### is bs, you don't give lengths, if he beats you, he's faster, proven, and don't whine. drag racing is heads up, if you lose, you were slower and went home and made your car faster. You can delay the tree but NO lenghts. Stupid people on there that WHINE AND GRIPE about everything and a host that acts like a hard a and tries to sound like he knows what he's talking about and knows something about cars and why don't they bring a car to compete with the other?????? I do like All Out though, barely any Rich, no lenghts, great beautiful cars, you lost you were eliminated like real drag racing but you still have fun and if you win, you get 10 grand. :P

Edited by Nick F40

• 3 weeks later...

Speed needs to bring back Build or Bust, that was an awesome show. Also they should scoop up Overhaulin', i couldn't believe it was on the Military Channel last night, also bring back Biker Build Off and maybe make another season of Hard Shine, the Jimmy Shine reality show, it was on TLC, contestants compete for a job at So-Cal speed shop. The Lost drive-In is usually on to fillup the hole from racing off season. Back in the Day is a cool show. Drop Unique Whips, I hate that show, nothing but 22 inch tires and a too powerful stereo, that ain't custom. Pinks is annoying, who is that guy, they should use a starting tree. Don't get me wrong, I love NASCAR, I was glad when they dropped NASCAR nation, that show sucked.

SPEED had it highest rated program ever over the weekend..... and it was a NASCAR race. like I said they'll show what gets the ratings, but i'll have too look into that "The Racing Network". looks good if it will happen. I'll still watch more SPEED though since I'm a NASCAR fan.