Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '48 Ford Convertible

GeeBee

After having this model sitting in my stash for a number of years, I was going to start it last year, but the death of my mother kind of knocked the stuffing out of me, so modelling just seemed to be put on hold, fast forward and having managed to catch up on all my photography work, I dragged myself back into the hobby room, thinking of what to build next, i did look at a few models but decided it was time this one got started, over the last few days I've made quite a good start on it, one thing that puzzles me though is the dashboard, the instructions say to do it to replicate it in  wood, which tio me would make sense, as even cars this side of the pond would have had a wooden dashboard for that period of cars, however, people that know me would know that I build models to replicate a car that has just been pulled off the factory line and popped into a dealers showroom, doing a quick search on Google has brought up a few photo's that either show the dash in a light wood colour, even found one that has the dash in a darker wood and a few even show the dash in body colour, now before i get all the body colour parts ready for their paint, which would be correct for a 1948 Ford that has just come off the end of the production line ??

Anyway, now to the model, so far the body has been prepared for it primer coat after having the firewall fitted, which shows it on the instructions being fitted after the body had been painted and a few things fitted to it, such as the motor for the roof, but after doing a dry run, these parts can easily be fitted afterwards, so the firewall was glued and clamped into place

The engine has been built up as far as I can before it needs a coat of Ford engine blue, 

The bonnet (Sorry, Hood) needed a little sanding to get it to fit flush

A few parts ready for primer

Roof top dry fitted, not sure which I'll use yet, top up or down, I will prepare both and decide when it's finished

As you can't build the chassis up as one unit and paint it all together, I'm building as much as i can, such as the front and rear axles, there only held onto the chassis with clamps until the glue to hold the steering linkage and the sway bars are fitted to the axle, which can then be painted as a complete unit, it makes for a stronger and better looking joint

Many cars built at this time would have simulated wood dash and window moldings. This was done to look like wood but was in fact metal. The one example you show with the real wood door cards I believe is a wagon. It may be that the "wood" treatment was on the deluxe models and the painted moldings were on the more standard models. There should be some Ford experts that could tell you for sure if the convertible had the "wood" dash. I think it would have, but I'm not an expert.  

Well after a failed paintjob, the body is now sitting in a batch of brake fluid, also, and I'm not sure why I missed this when I started to build the model, is that the clear parts are missing, hopefully Revell might be able to help out, as this kit has been re-issued a few times over the year, I've been in touch with them, hopefully they will put something out of the bag, as they helped me out in the past with a new bodyshell for the old Monogram Jeep CJ-7, which I'm waiting to hear anything, I'm going to car on building the chassis and the engine up.

I owned a 48 Ford, the dash in that car would be steel. Wagons and convertibles were wood grained, light yellow base with light brown graining to give it the maple look

Great start on the kit

Thank you for the info', I knew someone on this forum would have the knowledge ...

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on and off with this one for the last few weeks, had a few problems with the paintwork, and at the moment the bodyshell is waiting to be painted once again, the chassis is 99% finished, just a few shock absorbers to fit and the front and rear sway bars, interior is coming along o.k, just a bit more work with the BMF, 

I've been doing a little more on this one over the last week, just need to take a brave pill and get the body (Hopefully) in a nice shiny coat of paint

A few drops of duck egg blue was added to some gloss white enamel, just to tone down the bright white, the heater was painted with a mix of Tamiya bronze and titanium gold, the same colour was used for the steering column, the decals are from the spares box, as the originals fell into many pieces as soon as they went into the water.

Still waiting for the panel wipe to arrive, so I can get the body and body parts painted, did a dry fit of the interior into the body, pretty happy with the results

Nearly forgot to fit the clutch and brake pedals, they were airbrushed in satin black with the rubbers picked out with matt black

Engine finished, and radiator and coolant hoses fitted, the hose clamps were picked out using chrome bmf

Ford script molded into the hubcaps were picked out with clue acrylic