Model Cars Magazine Forum

Using Calligraphy Pen Tips to Apply CA Glue

Thanks, Bill. I'll head to the store and get some. Have you ever tried this method of applying glue?

No...I only use CA for edge-filling, reinforcing glued joints that don't show, and making weld-fillets on roll cages...and then I use the thick LocTite stuff.

But it sounds like calligraphy pens would be great for applying liquid styrene glue too. The capillary-action applicators like the one from Flex-I-File work very well, but they tend to clog and can be almost impossible to clean. Calligraphy pens might be a good idea for an easily-cleaned and 100% reliable replacement tool. 

Here's my arsenal of CA aplicators. They are made from sawing needles and acrylic rod.  It was not my original idea - I read about these decades ago in a magazine  (probably FineScale Modeler). Also disposable Micro-Brushes as applicators for CA accelerator.   When the needles get crusted up with hardened CA I use a hobby knife (with an older blade) to scrape the glue off. It doesn't take long and I like the ability to precisely apply just a tiny bit of glue where needed.

CA_applicators.thumb.jpg.9ef2638a714e396

I'm not sure how well a calligraphy pen will work. Thicker CA might not flow easily out of it and the thin stuff will probably start crusting up in it (especially if the ambient air is humid).

The easiest way to remove any CA from any of those tips is to hold it in the flame of a Bic lighter or candle for 5 seconds. Burns right off cleanly then wipe with a bit of tissue to get the carbon residue off. No fumes, acetone or mess. Ready for more work.

The easiest way to remove any CA from any of those tips is to hold it in the flame of a Bic lighter or candle for 5 seconds. Burns right off cleanly then wipe with a bit of tissue to get the carbon residue off. No fumes, acetone or mess. Ready for more work.

I enjoy scraping - seriously.  Besides, burning CA glue does create a nasty odor.