Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 SWB 'Berlinetta'

IJ001

Day one:

Box.thumb.JPG.c5530df2c6cbb5f2e28613dcf2

The usual box & contents shot - The Esci plastic dates back to the mid 1980's and is quite soft, massive mould seams running along the top of the wings, then along the roof gutters down the middle of the C-pillar across the top of the rear wings and through the middle of the tail-light bezels. What a PitA 

bonnet_cut.thumb.JPG.b93e2cf1fd0b68f4f3b

But not as much a pain as the integrally moulded bonnet that you need to cut from the body and that frankly awful thick lip on the bonnet scoop - that will be thinned right down. 

I built-up the engine & trans which sensibly goes together exactly the same way as a Revell or MPC car kit. Interior is multi-part as is the engine bay. I also assaulted the poor wee thing with a coat of Tamiya grey primer straight from the rattle-can ready for some serious seam-removal.

582c02a870fbb_sub_assemblies__first_prim

first_primer.thumb.JPG.68b23c8e97e45f71f

More in a min...

Ian.

Day One continued...
Rubbed down the offending seams and polished the plastic with successive grades of Micro-Mesh cloths.

mould_seams_1.thumb.JPG.334b62dfc52fe869

mould_seams_2.thumb.JPG.46af5c4ff10e4eea

Once I was happy the seams were completely gone, I shot a second primer coat and waited for four hours for it to be dry enough to work on. I then polished the primer coat with 4k - 8k Micro-Mesh cloths. As this is written the car body is as smooth as glass with no flaws at all in the paintwork. A good couple of sessions today and very pleased with the result.

second_primer_1.thumb.JPG.5132f148dac68e

second_primer_2.thumb.JPG.974c8933ce191d

If it all goes well, hopefully it will look a little like this one when I'm done.

SWB_9.thumb.jpg.004612d3e12ed9a68d7e2017

Please feel free to make any comments or ask any questions. More tomorrow

Ian.

Ian,nice appreciation to Detail,,,,I hve,gathered a few iterations,of this kit,.i must say that it looks like you know how to deal w the  different problems that are inherent,in the building up of this one. They look soo beautiful  when they are handled by an experienced  builder.

Thanks Shaun (et al) it isn't the easiest of kits but it will be worth the effort. Interesting isn't it that the Esci kit does come-up from time-to-time on eBay but the superior Italeri one almost never... Similarly with their 'Racing' 365 Daytona - I'd sell one of my legs for one of those !!.

Today was a relatively dull day at the bench, hence no pics. Got the chassis/pan & engine bay sub-assembly sprayed my own mix of 'iron black'. Fuel cell sprayed dark aluminium, sump guard is now flat aluminium as is the transmission. The headlining and inside of the c pillars was sprayed Tamiya 'Deck Tan'. Also matt blacked the instrument shroud, rocker covers and some other wee bits'n pieces.

Tomorrow I'll spray the block, diff etc. Hope to make a start on the interior aswell. Going for classic black like these:

SWB_black_interior_1.thumb.jpg.a8395b531

SWB_black_interior_2.thumb.jpg.f38b587c5

Thanks for looking-in.

AFN

Ian.

I'm definitely tuned in! You're right----the Italeri version of this car seldom if ever shows up on the 'Bay as I wanted another one a while back, and I ended up getting one off of Yahoo Japan's auction.

What kills me though is that the Esci one does turn up IMO rather frequently, and some try to pass it off as an Italeri. Some get sucked in by that but those in the know can see the differences between the two. The Esci one you're doing isn't super terrible, but it does have some "off" points about the body which aren't too bad to deal with.

Keep up the great work........as you said, it can be a bit fiddly to deal with, but with time and patience can be built into a very nice replica. ;)

Day Two.

Luvvin' the feedback chaps, keep it coming !! - So y'all are enjoying this and that's great. Right here's some self-explanatory progress pics:

block_1.thumb.JPG.4004c473b643d20206be8c

block_2.thumb.JPG.1e6022fafe3a985de97d11

block_in_place_1.thumb.JPG.ef875b50fff0a

block_in_place_2.thumb.JPG.60b9566b34e4e

At this stage the block is a WiP. Because I want to build this one exactly as it comes from the box for a competition further down the line, there's be no wiring and plumbing this time. Tamiya Flat Aluminium for the trans and AK's 'Xtreme Metal' aluminium for the bock - I'm a recent convert to this product and trust me it's bl**dy superb !!

I couldn't face wrestling with the interior this afternoon so masked-up the interior (Tamiya 'Deck Tan') and broke-out the Tamiya 'Italian Red' rattle can. Warmed it in a bowl of boiled water then shot two coats and left it in the spring sunshine for 30 mins.

paint_1.thumb.JPG.d2b56056666450c8f38390

paint_2.thumb.JPG.b475bade74f8a64878c47e

So next I'll force myself to finish the interior and then start on the suspension such as it is. Have a great weekend everyone, see you on Monday.

Ian.

Edited by IJ001

Day Three & Four

Wrestled the suspension and steering rack in to submission this morning, followed closely by the poorly fitting pipes... Ughhh, can't wait to start a Fujimi or Revell kit sometime very soon !!

pipes_2.thumb.JPG.e2d82668a821b6ad450b3f

Stay tuned folks more soon.

Ian.

Day Five & Six:

Four coats of Tamiyas 'Italian Red' with two coats of Tamiya clear varnish sitting on top to keep it safe and give it depth. 

paint_3.thumb.JPG.bc9f2b23b841d6899a901d

paint_4.thumb.JPG.bcff095bf740e829bb1d95N

paint_5.thumb.JPG.6949eac50663322fc3249a

Next I'll leave it to cure, not just dry, at least a week, then start with the 6/8/12k Micro Mesh cloths followed by some auto polish. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment. More late next week.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Day seven thru eleven:

Most of the last few days have been taken-up with polishing and buffing the body, final assembly and painting the 'shiny bits' - unfortunately somewhere in the past I'd dulled down my only bottle of Alclad 'Polished Aluminium' and of course I'd forgotten until after I started spraying so I'll have to go buy another bottle (not easy here in New Zealand) and start again !!. Also BMF'd the sills which hasn't gone at all well, partly because I was having an 'off day' and partly because the sills are so poorly defined on the kit.

Paint_6.thumb.jpg.ff2d13fd43489b1bd94b47

Paint_7.thumb.jpg.2955a190d389d5343e73d4

I'll not give-up, I'm so close to finishing but having to go-out and buy a new bottle of Alclad just to finish the bumpers and headlights is a real PitA, ahhhh well, good job it's only a hobby, eh ?

AFN

Ian.

• 4 weeks later...

Call this a 'non-update'

I mentioned that I need to respray the bumpers in 'proper' polished aluminium, well it turns-out that the AK 'Extreme Metals' paints that I now use are less than half the price in UK than they are here, so I'll load-up on them when I'm home in a couple of weeks, then finish the Ferrari when I get back here to NZ.

AFN

Ian.