Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jet powered truck!!

... Not sure how a Scania would be Jet powered... -Being a COE!

Simple.

No matter WHAT kind of cab the thing has, the jet engine gets mounted behind it, where the thrust-producing exhaust has a clear shot out.

The Harrier he's sourcing the engine from produces its power as exhaust thrust, not a turbine-shaft-takeoff, so there's no necessity to retain any of the original drivetrain or engine-placement.  :D

Got the basic engine assembled,there is more to add but give it time,

The  chassis is partly assembled too,I have decided that it is  four wheeler and therefore the rear axle has been moved to the very back of the chassis.I might cut the jet down at the red line and have a single large 'exhaust port thingy- very technnical here....'

Not sure on the cab yet so this is just a mock up....

Cool idea. I am looking forward to this build!

Random thoughts and useless trivia:

• You could add scoops to the window cutouts in the sleeper and duct these into the engine inlet.
  • Installed with the original nozzle configuration, the front nozzles could be pointed slightly "up" at speed to help offset aerodynamic lift and keep the front end planted. All 4 vectored up and forward for braking at the end of a run B)
  • Thrust from the front nozzles of the R.R.Pegasus is made up of bleed air from the fan section at the front of the engine so it is much cooler air than the rear pair whos thrust is generated by combustion gasses, 
Edited by Flynlo

Thanks Tim,will see.

It is a Mobius kit repopped by Revell,more on the cab later..

The engine has had it's rear vents cut away and am doing the fronts,but....my arthritis kicked in and my hand was just cramping and dammed useless....

Back to the cab,the sleeper portion had been lopped off and the front glued on - no need for engine access here....

Thinking about styling perhaps the rear axle could come forward a degree?

Wheelwise I have a set of genuine alloy rims from  Hiroboy,going to see if the kit wheels can be adapted to use them..

Started on the engine mounts/cradle,it is sprayed flat black because it is red plastic and I dont want it to bleed through!

Working on the engine too,doing a few electric bits and pipework plus adding a couple of mini thrusters from I think....a DC9.

The business end of the engine...

The kit that the engines were half inched from,it was a thing from last year that went wrong decal and paintwise...

This looks like a fun project. That Harrier engine is an odd one. You'll need the side vents to direct the bypass outlets to the rear. I'd also move the engine to the rear so you have plenty of air intake space. Most of the ground-based turbines I've seen also have screen domes over the intakes to exclude debris.

I really like your build and agree with using the prostar kit, one question however what is the purpose of a tilt cab on a jet truck? Not a criticism just curious. Enjoying watching it come along.

Why not,they cam be show vehicles too.

Got the checker plate trimmed to suite.

Looking more like it!

I had to section the floor in order to fit the side skirts,just a case of plating it to refit.

Since this is a jet-powered machine the power does not go to the rear axle, therefore there should be no need for wheelie bars.  Wheelie bars only purpose is to counteract the tendency for a car to rotate around the rear axles under acceleration.  This is going to be an outstanding build.  I have an Allison powered Falcon Ranchero in the planning stages.  BTW are you going to fabricate some form of scoop around the intake?  Where it is setting now, the engine would suck the back of the cab loose; actually the engine would probably starve for air.