Model Cars Magazine Forum

CANNONBALL 2017

Jantrix

Well I'm in this year, again. Hopefully I'll get it done this time around. I set aside my Raptor from last year and kind of forgot about it. Grats to those that got theirs done. Misha and Bruce's trucks were awesome. 

For this year, I had already planned on a rally type car for a build I wanted to do. Last year, while googling some pics for something else, I ran across some photos of vintage cars running in the Peking to Paris rally, info HERE . There were several Mustangs entered and, being a Mustang lover I thought if ever given the opportunity this rally would be something I'd like to try. So in that spirit I decided at some point I'd build a "what if" racer for myself. Now with this year's Cannonball being open, I figure I'll build myself that Vintage Mustang rally car and use it for this years Cannonball. 

So here's what I'm starting with.

1965 Shelby GT350R as restored by Legendary Motor Car here in Ontario.

1965mustang350r-1_zpse7kx5own.jpg

I'll be using Revell's 1/24 Shelby GT350R as a base.

1965mustang350r-2_zpsvhulam0r.jpg

I'll be changing wheels and tires to Fireball Model Works 15" Mini Lites.

FMR-074_zpsnmddzau8.jpg

I'll likely use Hobby Designs Sparco Pro-Adv seats.

Suspension will be raised so that the car can compete in off-road as well as tarmac rallies. Other items will be added to interior, tools, service items, camping gear (the Peking to Paris rally requires teams to carry their own gear). Other goodies like extra lights and mud-flaps will be added. 

Not sure on paint yet, may just stick with Guardsman Blue w/ white stripes or while w/blue. Maybe not. I have the night off of work tonight, so I might even jump into this project right away and get some ground work done. 

Good luck to everyone and thanks to Rob for organizing a fun event.

David

Edited by Jhedir6

If anyone is interested, excerpts of Brock Yates' book "Cannonball! Worlds Greatest Outlaw Road Race" is HERE. There are several short chapters of testimonials from people who participated in the races and they give interesting insights into what it was like driving, what they drove, how they set up their cars and the personalities of the merry band of scofflaws. Good storytelling.

I have a couple ideas that, given time, I will work on. My main focus and entry will be a tribute to Brock's Challenger based on Revells 2009 Challenger kit. Engine, tires and wheels TBD.

Hi Erik - In case you were thinking about building a '72 - '74 Challenger body, I found the Arii Dodge Challenger kit to be surprisingly good detail .  The chassis and interior are a differenct matter - the kit was initially desgined to be a battery powered toy.  The Arii kit even comes with some decals that might help you out in your build too.

Image result for arii dodge challengerImage result for arii dodge challenger

I have a set of these decals left over from my build, as well as these that you are welcome to have:

photo decals_zpsvlftbzns.jpg

I don't remember where they came from, but they seem to be period correct for your purpose.  I'll never use them

SC

I think I know what kind of car I'll be entering this year... but it all depends on when I get my resin engine from Clearly Scale for another project... I'm going to mock it up in the vehicle I "think" I want to use, to see if it will even work for me... if so, I'll post it up, if not, back to the drawing board.

Hi Erik - In case you were thinking about building a '72 - '74 Challenger body, I found the Arii Dodge Challenger kit to be surprisingly good detail .  The chassis and interior are a differenct matter - the kit was initially desgined to be a battery powered toy.  The Arii kit even comes with some decals that might help you out in your build too.

I have a set of these decals left over from my build, as well as these that you are welcome to have:

I don't remember where they came from, but they seem to be period correct for your purpose.  I'll never use them

SC

I thought about a replica Steve, but wasn't excited about the options. That ARII body and the wheels look good, but might be more chassis and interior work than I want. The 2009 will be a tribute and also, hopefully, a little better driver for a cross country run - although the new cars are a bit larger. 

I will, however, take you up on those decals! PM sent...

I thought about a replica Steve, but wasn't excited about the options. That ARII body and the wheels look good, but might be more chassis and interior work than I want. The 2009 will be a tribute and also, hopefully, a little better driver for a cross country run - although the new cars are a bit larger. 

I will, however, take you up on those decals! PM sent...

Scroll to the bottom and check out that conversion...

http://www.hartspartsresin.com/resin-parts-list/conversions

Might be a good idea considering the AMT '70 was just re-released as the Vanishing Point car. 

I'm going to try to build something this year. After ending up going through a divorce last year , I haven't even touched a kit n months! I did finish my Cannonball for last year , but forgot to even post it. I was going to sell everything and quit building ,but have thought better of that! 

Not sure what I will build . I'll figure it out soonand post it . Hope to figure out how to post pictures from my tablet.

This was mine for last year.

87_zpsxjf4ioay.jpg

Edited by Pat Minarick

Not sure on paint yet, may just stick with Guardsman Blue w/ white stripes or while w/blue. Maybe not. I have the night off of work tonight, so I might even jump into this project right away and get some ground work done. 

Good luck to everyone and thanks to Rob for organizing a fun event.

David

Gonna be one bad Shelby David!!

I'm going to try to build something this year. After ending up going through a divorce last year , I haven't even touched a kit n months! I did finish my Cannonball for last year , but forgot to even post it. I was going to sell everything and quit building ,but have thought better of that! 

Not sure what I will build . I'll figure it out soonand post it . Hope to figure out how to post pictures from my tablet.

This was mine for last year.

87_zpsxjf4ioay.jpg

Very nicely Done Pat! By all means post some pics of it to the completed builds thread. :) 

Well as normal I have heard from the Ohio State patrol. "They are going to build a car to stop all of you scoff laws." 

I am just posting for them. it is not me. They told me it is some kind of old Plymouth they dug up.

AMT 1969 Plymouth GTX

Tim

Edited by Tim H

Ok I'm officially going with the 64 Dodge 330 with a Dodge Sidewinder for a donor. The 3D printer will also serve as a donor. I'm going to see if I can finish the F-1 from last year as well. I've included a few pictures of how far it went. The front suspension really hung me up with it. If the part is black it's 3D printed, either from a design of my own or a design from the internet. If you have any questions let me know.

Well  guys, I've just relocated to Mountain Home, Id. I'm still kicking around my entry. Once I get my PC set up in a couple of days I'll get the roster going.

Pat, real sorry to hear about the divorce. That Camaro looks fantastic. Well done.

I'm in. AMT 1990 Corvette ZR1.

You might have heard Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson on CNN this morning discussing optimism for 2017, saying that striving for greater goals (like flying to Mars) is what fuels innovation that is applied to our every day lives. If you can believe, the ZR1 Corvette is the ideal test platform for new fuel expansion technology that's never been road tested, or for that matter, never been made mobile before. More on the science of that later.

2v2unKtoVxfGubg.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

Last year I completely failed to get my CBR entry done. Actually, It never made it to the bench. 

This year I will give this and the other two community builds completed.

I've pulled out this Tamiya Aston Marting kit and plan to build it mostely box stock but may add in a few extras.

Gosh, Rob. What a culture not to mention weather shock. From FL to ID.

Yes, but it gave me a solid appreciation for actually running a Cannonball. I drove 2987 miles in 50 hours over five days. That's an average speed of 59.74 mph. 

I will say, weather WAS a factor. :angry:

Edited by Jantrix

I have decided on my Cannonball racer. The '66/'67 Chargers are my favorite cars of all time. For many reasons this car just speaks to me. So it's been a forgone conclusion that eventually one would be build as a Cannonballer. The tenth anniversary seems like the right time. I've had plans over the years on what I'd like to do with one, but luckily our esteemed Mr. Foose has already taken care of a lot of it for me. So the plan is, Foose Charger. A little dechroming. IFS to replace the stock setup. Lower and modify the rear suspension for racing. And an experimental engine. Likely going with a charcoal grey metallic, with Foose stripe decals. 

EDIT: Scratch the whole power train idea above. Somehow a '09 Challenger kit arrived into my possession. I plan to use the whole chassis and drive train. Since the Charger weights less than the '09 Challenger, the 6.1 will be even more potent, especially when my guys get through with it.

20170109_195049_zpscukrnmoi.jpg

Per the rules a before-the-carnage-begins photo is required. I have "I'm gonna build" from more than a dozen folks, but not all with a starting photo, lets get it done. I'll get a roster started in a couple days. 

Otherunicorn please give me more info on the build for the roster.

Cpt. Tuttle, very happy you are participating. And BTW, I loved you in M.A.S.H.

Lunajammer, I'm always looking forward to your work. This new-fuel idea has my interest.

Tim H, looking forward to what you have in mind.

Edited by Jantrix