Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Anglia

JPolli

I saw on the Revell site they are reissuing their 51 Anglia.  Would love to see a blown Kohler Bros. or Shore's & Hess version.   Wishful thinking???

Very much so. I file this kit under "just glad to have an injection molded Ford Anglia body" and would be happy just to see the two-piece tires eliminated forever. Maybe that was done in previous issues of the shared kits, though?

Recent issues of the Anglia and Thames have included one-piece tires and slicks.  The picture I saw for the coming reissue showed the Ansen wheels that were in the pre-1980 issues; maybe those will be put back in.  The chassis isn't too accurate, and nobody ran an Olds engine in these cars, but the bodies are well done which makes them worth having.

The Model King box art unfortunately shows a modified kit that is a bit different from what is in the box. The biggest thing is the grille, or lack of, on the MK kit. And it shows more correct wheels that I don't remember ever seeing in the kit. They either had the 5 spoke mags or the later Funny Car style trick wheels. 

Image result for Model king anglia

Image result for Revell Anglia

Image result for Revell Anglia

Recent issues of the Anglia and Thames have included one-piece tires and slicks.  The picture I saw for the coming reissue showed the Ansen wheels that were in the pre-1980 issues; maybe those will be put back in.  The chassis isn't too accurate, and nobody ran an Olds engine in these cars, but the bodies are well done which makes them worth having.

Huh? the original model is fairly accurate, is Skip Shores "Skeppers Critter" that became the Shore and Hess blown car.

It ran an Olds. Rules sais small displacement only ( at that time). 

Olds motors were used all over in gas classes, to wit" Stone, Woods & Cook.

Huh? the original model is fairly accurate, is Skip Shores "Skeppers Critter" that became the Shore and Hess blown car.

It ran an Olds. Rules sais small displacement only ( at that time). 

Olds motors were used all over in gas classes, to wit" Stone, Woods & Cook.

Nope, it always ran a Chevy.  First a small block, later a big block (once they were allowed in the smaller cars), then the big-block with a supercharger .  Shores is said to have been first to call the big Chevy the "Rat Motor".  The injector scoop was lettered "Rat Motor", that would seem to back up that claim. 

The frame is way, way off when compared to the 1:1 frame.  The 1:1 frame was wider through the middle (frame rails closer to the door sills).

Nope, it always ran a Chevy.  First a small block, later a big block (once they were allowed in the smaller cars), then the big-block with a supercharger .  Shores is said to have been first to call the big Chevy the "Rat Motor".  The injector scoop was lettered "Rat Motor", that would seem to back up that claim. 

The frame is way, way off when compared to the 1:1 frame.  The 1:1 frame was wider through the middle (frame rails closer to the door sills).

suspension is quite different than the actual Shores & Hess car too. the chassis was built by Don Long..front axle was chromed tubular, no drop when it was SBC powered (later when the BBC was put in, a mildly dropped axle was fitted). a transverse torsion bar setup similar to what was in favor with the Fuel Altered and Top Fuel crowd was placed behind front axle with chromed hairpins for location, ladder bars are wrong, etc, etc. some good reference material here....   http://theamazoeffect.blogspot.com/2013_10_01_archive.html

We will probably get the exact same Revell kit with different box art.

Yup. Revell knows nobody else is going to create an all-new Ford Anglia kit to compete with this one, so they're going to keep reissuing this kit and it's companion Thames Panel until they are too worn to produce a buildable model...and we'll keep buying them. -_-

Edited by Casey

Yup. Revell knows nobody else is going to create an all-new Ford Anglia kit to compete with this one, so they're going to keep reissuing this kit and it's companions (Henry J, Thames Panel, Austin) until they are too worn to produce a buildable model...and we'll keep buying them. -_-

I'm curious to know if Revell's recent new tool woes will have any impact on new tooling in the future or will we just get re-pops of old kits for a while.

I'm curious to know if Revell's recent new tool woes will have any impact on new tooling in the future or will we just get re-pops of old kits for a while.

What "woes" are you referring to? The Ford Bronco seems to be selling like crazy and the '70 Charger R/T also seems to be a good seller. I think future releases may be more closely tied to parent company Hobbico's disappointing 2016 and not-predicted-to-be-much-better 2017. The '30 Model A will be back in production, the first of the new Foose kits will be out, and the '66 Suburban should sell well, too.

What "woes" are you referring to? The Ford Bronco seems to be selling like crazy and the '70 Charger R/T also seems to be a good seller. I think future releases may be more closely tied to parent company Hobbico's disappointing 2016 and not-predicted-to-be-much-better 2017. The '30 Model A will be back in production, the first of the new Foose kits will be out, and the '66 Suburban should sell well, too.

I was referring to the 30 Ford, but that's coming from my narrow focus of subject matter. I forgot that the Bronco and Charger were new tools as well. 

Edited by modelfink