Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinning Acrylics

I believe this has already been discussed, but I can't seem to find it.  I quite often use acrylic craft paints on models.  In the past I have thinned with acrylic thinner from the same company as the paint is from.  I have also used low-grade alcohol/distilled water mix.  All of these give varying results.  I seem to remember seeing someone mention using Windex as a thinner, as well as cleaning their airbrush after painting.  All the Windex we have at the house has a blue tint, will that not also tint any paint mixed with it?  Another thought is using Future as a mix with craft paints to give a shine to the paint.  Has anyone tried this and what were the results?

I seen a video by Chris Chapman using blue washer fluid as a thinner and cleaner and he swore it does not give a blue tint so I went out to the garage got some fluid and gave it a try and sure enough worked great and was a good cleaner too.....I personally find his videos verrrrrrrrrrrry helpful...

I've watched all of Chris's videos. He has the technique down to get good results. His videos do need an update because the Future substitute that he recommended called LA Totally Awesome has changed their formula and it doesn't work any longer. I can verify that. 

Edited by Miatatom

I thought that LA Totally Awesome is a concentrated cleaner containing lye (and it can be used to remove model paints) and Future (whatever it is called now) is (and always was) a clear acrylic coating for floors

LA Totally Awesome is the brand name. They make several products for cleaning and maintenance of floors. I wasn't aware of the concentrated cleaner removing paint. It's great around the house. I wonder if it was lacquer, enamel or acrylic paint that it removed?

I have used cheap folk art paints for about 3 yrs only had problems with a gold metallic the only thing I use is windex with ammonia make sure you use a clear afterwards as it will chip and mark real easy I mix it 50/50 to 60/40 the ammonia helps it bond to the primer I use the cheap Walmart primer

LA Totally Awesome is the brand name. They make several products for cleaning and maintenance of floors. I wasn't aware of the concentrated cleaner removing paint. It's great around the house. I wonder if it was lacquer, enamel or acrylic paint that it removed?

I've seen it mention few times here (here is one mention: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/83153-paint-strippers-what-to-use/?do=findComment&comment=492674 ).

I bought a bottle but I haven't tried it yet (had nothing to strip).  I suspect that since it is lye-based it will work similar to the purple stuff or the original formula EasyOff oven cleaner.